For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Trade In and Get Rewarded!
akiraro's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Sunday, July 22nd, 2018 3:17 PM

How to payoff installment plan ? Not ATT customer

Hi , I bought an iphone from a dealer . He claimed that the phone is locked to AT&T. I went to ATT website to try to unlock it , but it says that I havent paid off my device yet and need to pay off my installment plan before I could unlock it. The problem is , I didnt buy the phone directly from AT&T under my name because I bought it from a dealer in my country . Is it still possible for me to pay off the installment plan and get my phone unlocked ?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

Sorry, no. It is not possible for you to pay off a phone without the account information which ATT will not provide. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

I may also add that is not possible to payoff an installment plan if you have a bundled billing (uverse, internet, mobile phones).  You must unbundle to payoff the installment, BUT you may not bundle your billing again which leaves you out of promotions and discounts.  I have been a customer for over 30 years, and because of a technical problem with paying off the installment and a refusal by customer support to find a solution, I will be moving to Verizon.  I spoke or chatted with 10 separate customer service reps (transferred and each time I had to retell my story, no one takes notes on my account???) each telling me we could accomplish this.  I also went into the store twice to be told the same thing.  Funny, when I bought the phone without insurance, I specifically asked what happens if the phone breaks before the installment is paid off and was told all I had to do was payoff the balance of the installment plan.  A major FAIL by ATT to not have the proper training for sales and customer service reps.  More than two hours of my time all because you cannot pay more than your bill balance.  There is no way to indicate an overpayment to payoff installment plan.  Sounds like someone overlooked this in programming the billing section.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

This is something ATT needs to address.  They are so caught up in THEIR way of doing things it has affected their service to the customer.  While I don't have your problem, I would like to pay more on the installment plan some months when I have the extra money in order to pay my phone off more rapidly.   ATT can't work this out ........it's all or nothing

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

5 years ago

ATT can't work this out ........it's all or nothing”

@Nannie1 ATT could work it out if they wanted, they purposely don’t want to. The whole idea of the Next plan is to keep your line active for that entire 24 or 30 months. It’s like being in a contract without actually being in a contract. If you want to pay off early, just take whatever extra you can pay each month and save it until you have enough to pay off completely.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

5 years ago

@Nannie1 wrote:

This is something ATT needs to address.  They are so caught up in THEIR way of doing things it has affected their service to the customer.  While I don't have your problem, I would like to pay more on the installment plan some months when I have the extra money in order to pay my phone off more rapidly.   ATT can't work this out ........it's all or nothing

So I guess other carriers are ‘caught up in their way . . .” As well?   Verizon has a very inflexible installment plan.  

T-mobile has a more flexible option, but it’s still THEIR way.   

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.