Trade In and Get Rewarded!
BELLFan's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Saturday, April 6th, 2019 4:56 PM

How to make a life altering decision: iPhone vs Android! as 3G GPS etc is going away?

I can't write all the information and differences between the various models here...I keep visiting stores and all have newer models every year with different features...

But...it boils down to its TOOO difficult! I have to make a life altering decision upgrading from my older phone to newer technology! Can't they make ONE phone that does what iPhone and Android phones do in one phone?

I have to make that terrible decision...do I go with iPhone and all its technology, or with Android and its technology...

Family has ALL iPhones so I can Face Time or do whatever they do on it instantly.. and they can help me 100% to learn it, but Android has Windows like  features that iPhone refuses to adopt, like the M2 Photo Chip!!! (I think a third party to iPhone has a work around for the missing USB, but its a clunky add on to the phone and not everything works through it?)

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

5 years ago

Yes some Android phones have a SD card some don't.  

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

Thank you for reading and replying GLIMMERMAN76 !

I concentrate on making my choice between the models that have the SD card slot vs ones without as I have developed a habit of swapping out cards when I go out depending upon who or where I go, to create albums that I frequently download as whole sets.   

I find that its far easier a method than hours or days after I take photos --going over them and wondering where or what they were taken for.  (Yes I know the latest phones --both iPhone and Android types do GPS for photos! SO I really want those linked photos to the site information (and camera exposure/speed/ "live" camera that iPhone uses to choose photos from, etc.)

Still undecided...  😞  

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

5 years ago

Don’t say windows.  Windows mobile is dead.   

I don’t think android is at all like windows.  

I prefer android because you can organize your screen any way you like.  iPhone forces you to show all icons on screen or in folders.  Apple still doesn’t get what ‘widgets’ are.  

Apple really requires you use iTunes and probably buy iCloud storage, and don’t get me started on Apple Music.  

Android phones don’t need an SD card.   And iPhone has never had SD slots, so. . .   With google photo unlimited back up, I see no need.  I can’t come close to filling up a 128 gig internal, even with all the pictures, audio and document files.  

Google photo is a great way to store and organize pictures.  I never have to fuss with google to back up or restore, or buy more storage to back up my phone.  

The down side might be you cannot FaceTime or iMessage, and unless your willing to geek out a bit, you might not catch on to the new OS.  

I have an iPad and android phones (pixel 3 xl and oneplus 6t).  Have not had a decent android tablet, but hate the iPhone, go figure.  

Also have zero problem getting the 2 different platforms to sync. 

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

5 years ago

Apple music trounces google music right now since google can not figure out what to do with it and YouTube music,. I sub to both on family plans.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

Hi everyone who replied and more who are reading these comments!

Sorry for delay in responding back!

Great comments!

I learn a lot...

So I'll stop saying "Windows" phones ok-- thanks lizdance40.... I don't really remember everything the sales reps say at the store..

I take notes to try and keep up and read the web sites for help.

I like lizdance40's reply:

The down side might be you cannot FaceTime or iMessage, and unless your willing to geek out a bit, you might not catch on to the new OS.

I have an iPad and android phones (pixel 3 xl and oneplus 6t). Have not had a decent android tablet, but hate the iPhone, go figure.

Also have zero problem getting the 2 different platforms to sync.

Don't worry I do crazy things like running VR's of different OS's I need to run on a Windows old computer, so I can pretty much do anything I want to do...

What I read from all the comments about using iCloud or Apple Music  (new one to me Google photo--is it free?) or other places is that all of them
involve paying a "subscription price" to get storage space if you don't have access to a SD card slot!

That is against what rules I live by which is never pay RENT For something...that you can buy and own....

RENT is "forever"

RENT is forgetting to update a credit card every 2 or 3 years when it expires...and you LOSE every single photo and file you've uploaded

I am not married to my Email., like some people are!  (Crossing streets or driving staring at phone as deleting 100's of Emails each minute of life)....

When I get busy I can very easily avoid reading ANY Email for 6 months and then just have no time to organize or focus or get to find the
important Email (i.e. ONE out of thousands by then) saying "Your rent is overdue! This is your last warning before we delete your content! on the iCloud or whatever you are using Google, etc etc"

SO with a SD card I OWN the files.

I OWN the HDD I upload them too.
I make a copy of the HDD and that is my backup.

Once I buy it...thats it! Until it breaks down... Then buy a new one!

So that solution does not let me carry ONE device that is both a Camera and a Phone and a access point for all the apps that I pay for and download onto it.

I probably forgot a few comments ...I'll add them in at the next reply if I forgot to mention anyone else I'm sorry.

Just trying to respond so you know I'm still trying to figure out which one to go with....Apple iPhone vs Android!

Choices
Choices
Decisions!
Decisions!

Thanks all!

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

5 years ago

Google photos is free..  I have 54000 photos on it.  I love do a back up of them.

ACE - Professor

• 

3K Messages

5 years ago

IPhone OS support for older devices is better than Android. IPhone 5S released in 2013 is still being supported with the latest OS 12.2 release. May be dropped with  OS 13. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

5 years ago

@BELLFan 

I have a current and old iPad with a lot of junk I have to delete regularly because my iPad won’t back up more than 5 gigs of data.  I get notices to buy more storage.  

I never get this with my android phones.   Google back up is free, photo and Drive storage is unlimited.  

I’m not paying Apple to back up, it’s just not gonna happen.  

Master

• 

3.2K Messages

5 years ago

There's pluses and minuses to iOS and Android. I think the choice is a personal decision based on what you're willing to live with.

Some people have no problem paying a dollar a month to Apple for storage. Some people find Apple easier to use than Android. Some people want the newer and more experimental features that come with Android. Some people want the customization and cheaper price of Android. Some people want the security and stability of Apple phones. Some people want the "cool" factor of iPhones. Literally no one can tell you which system is better, just like no one can tell you what size shoes to wear. It's about what's the best fit for you.

And it's not a life-altering decision because you have 14 days. Try out an Android phone. If you don​'t like it, take it back and get an iPhone.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

5 years ago

Hey, I got the best of both.  And until android make a decent tablet, I’ll stick with an iPad. I can ‘FaceTime and iMessage ‘ with iPhone users, but still have my android phone 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.