Trade In and Get Rewarded!
nystokes's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Sunday, March 3rd, 2013 4:14 AM

Do I have to sign a contract to use a smartphone

I want to get a smartphone but I am not eligible for an upgrade for another year. Can I get a smartphone and use it or do I have to sign a 2 year contract saying that I must use that smartphone?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

11 years ago

No, you don't have to sign a contract to use a smartphone.  You would have to pay full price for the smartphone or get it from somewhere else (i.e. a friend or Ebay).  You will have to have a smartphone data plan to use it on AT&T's network.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

Let me also make this addition.

If you are just thinking of putting your SIM card in a smartphone w/o calling AT&T to have it changed, then the network will AUTO-ADD a 3GB data plan.

Mentor

• 

59 Messages

11 years ago

What if you buy an unlocked smartphone at full retail price? Can you use your same SIM card w/o calling Att to have it changed? Will the network still add the 3GB data plan? Will the network even recognize that you are now using an unlocked smartphone instead of your old feature phone?

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@cellnewbie09 wrote:
What if you buy an unlocked smartphone at full retail price? Can you use your same SIM card w/o calling Att to have it changed? Will the network still add the 3GB data plan? Will the network even recognize that you are now using an unlocked smartphone instead of your old feature phone?

smartphone = required data plan, you add it or if the network detects it the carrier will att it automaticly.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.