For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Trade In and Get Rewarded!
rØcky1's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Sunday, July 16th, 2017 5:18 PM

Cell phone signal booster

Cell tower is line-of-sight but 40 miles away (on mountain top).  Can anyone recommend a Cell Phone Signal Booster for better data speeds?

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

7 years ago

Data speed, or connection ?   Can you make calls?   

Check connection by opening settings, about phone, sim status, signal strength.  

What is the -    Dbm?

There are some options depending on what your service is like now.  A Microcell uses home wifi to provide service where it's poor on non existent.  This requires a postpaid account to register and manage a Microcell.  

Wifi calling, obviously requires you have home internet.

A cell booster is an option if you have a poor signal, but can only amplify an existing signal.  It may have zero effect on data speed, that is determined by the tower, not a booster.  But it still might help you.  The weboost website has the best selection.  I have one in my car as I travel for work and often don't have a good signal.   This is the car booster that was recommmended.  Improves my signal by 10 to 30 Dbm, depending on location 

IMG_5779.PNG

1 Attachment

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

Excellent questions. Data speed, or connection ?   Initially phone connection, call quality. Can you make calls?  Yes.  By the way I get Internet via Tethering on my Samsung S5.  Living off-grid.  No cable or phone lines.

Check connection by opening settings, about phone, sim status, signal strength.  What is the -    Dbm?  -91 dBm. 11 asu

Sometimes (without my moving about) in the middle of a conversation the voice quality will become garbled.  Thought a 'booster' might be a workable solution.

Thank you for the website recommendation.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

7 years ago

@rØcky1

-91 Dbm isn't bad at all.  Wish I had that good.  At home I'm in the -112 to -115 range these days.

So I don't think speed is going to improve as it's determined by the tower, but a booster would help stability of data services and improve call quality.  I bet it drops out on bad weather days.

Our resident booster expert (I have elected him so, as he was the only person I ever heard speak of such a thing) @pgrey may have suggestions on one brand over another.   

FYI if you ever upgrade phones, please ask for recommendations.  My experience is branded phones have terrible antenna and reception.  We have a Nexus 6p and google pixel in the family and they have far better reception.  The Pixel was able to call and access data in an area that is a dead spot for my Moto pure or Samsung galaxy S7.  The phones were made to work on google Fi, which has limited network, so it jacked up its antenna to even the playing field.  

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

7 years ago

Yep, like @lizdance40 says -91 isn't bad at all, I'm typically in the 105-115 range (unboosted) at home.

I like both the SolidRF/MobileForce and the Wilson units, they both get consistent, solid reviews, and are reasonably priced.

IME, the SolidRF units typically have a better price-point, but part of it depends on the use.  I mostly use mine while mobile, so I have good low-end units, that give a few feet with the internal antenna/indoor-radius-coverage.

When you get into the fancier models, the price-points are less distinct, say for one that "claims" to cover 2000 sqft. indoors. 

You can certainly boost that 91 signal, but I suspect your bigger issue is that it's dropping below that off/on, probably way below it.  The booster (for me anyway) really helps to "span" coverage blips like this, typically being able to hold onto a signal that otherwise would've been dropped.

If it's mostly about 3G/talk though, you can get much cheaper models (same brands), for <4G.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

7 years ago

Turn off enhanced lte services. It will fix your garbled call problem. The lte signal gets marginal and the phone is still trying to stay connected

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

to  lizdance40but a booster would help stability of data services and improve call quality.  I bet it drops out on bad weather days. Yes, calls do drop/get garbled and any improvement at this point would be welcome.  One (of my many) difficulties is sorting thru the many booster offerings.  Some in Best Buy are +$400.  Also, I didn't realize/expect that branded phone would have less than optimum antenna reception.

to pgrey: I will look into the SolidRF/MobileForce and the Wilson units.  ...and yes, I'd very much like to be able to hold onto a signal that otherwise is dropped.  After purchase and evaluation of whichever unit is successful I will mark a post as "accept solution"

to GLIMMERMAN76:  Hadn't seen "Turn off enhanced lte services" as a possible fix.  Will give it a try.  Thanks for the suggestion. Hadn't seen this suggestion before (anywhere).

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

7 years ago

@rØcky1 wrote:

to  lizdance40but a booster would help stability of data services and improve call quality.  I bet it drops out on bad weather days. Yes, calls do drop/get garbled and any improvement at this point would be welcome.  One (of my many) difficulties is sorting thru the many booster offerings.  Some in Best Buy are +$400.  Also, I didn't realize/expect that branded phone would have less than optimum antenna reception.

to pgrey: I will look into the SolidRF/MobileForce and the Wilson units.  ...and yes, I'd very much like to be able to hold onto a signal that otherwise is dropped.  After purchase and evaluation of whichever unit is successful I will mark a post as "accept solution"

to GLIMMERMAN76:  Hadn't seen "Turn off enhanced lte services" as a possible fix.  Will give it a try.  Thanks for the suggestion. Hadn't seen this suggestion before (anywhere).

@rØcky1

I cant use enhanced LTE services on my commute home or I will drop calls...  It should help you since your signal looks good for the most part.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

7 years ago

@rØcky1

Please let us know how you do.  The car booster was a real life saver for me.  I didn't want to go back to Verizon, as it would cost me another $50 a month.

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

My old cellular booster crapped out so I was looking for a new one and came across this one where they come and install it for you. It cost a pretty penny but everyone in my house is happy with all bars all the time. This is where I got it: https://www.signalbooster.com/products/cell-phone-signal-booster-plus-installation

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

@Gino_Donaldson Even tho you've responded to a three year old thread I do have a Cellular Booster Guide, link is in my sig line, that is a good primer on cellular boosters and the various kinds if anyone is still interested.

AT&T Cell Booster Technical Guide by OttoPylot

Cellular Booster Guide by OttoPylot

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.