Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Can I use the Xiaomi Mi 8 Global Edition on the AT&T Network Fully?

Highlighted
Tutor

Can I use the Xiaomi Mi 8 Global Edition on the AT&T Network Fully?

Can I use the Xiaomi Mi 8 Global Edition on the AT&T Network, Fully. It matches all the bands for 3G and 4G LTE. But like most Unlocked Universal Phones it is not listed specifically as a brand for the carrier, though Neither are brands like OnePlus and they work. So I figured I need to ask before purchasing this device that I am completely in love with.

Unlocked for Worldwide use. Please ensure local area network is compatible. click here for Network Frequency of your country. Please check with your carrier/provider before purchasing this item.
The ROM on this Phone supports OTA and is multi language.

Description:
Xiaomi Mi 8 as a phablet features 6.21 inch display afford you a vivid and different visual experience. Triple cameras, 12.0MP + 12.0MP dual back cameras and 20.0MP front cameras, you can enjoy images with high resolution. It comes with most of the features we've come to expect from a phablet, including 6GB RAM and 128GB ROMstorage equipped with MIUI 9 OS that you can play games faster. Besides, 3400mAh big capacity battery affords you long time experience.

Main Features:
Xiaomi Mi 8 4G Phablet 6.21 inch MIUI 9 Snapdragon 845 Octa Core 2.8GHz 6GB RAM 128GB ROM Fingerprint Sensor 3400mAh Built-in
Display: 6.21 inch 2248 x 1080 pixels 
CPU: Snapdragon 845 Octa Core 2.8GHz 
System: MIUI 9
Storage: 6GB RAM + 128GB ROM 
Cameras: 12.0MP + 12.0MP dual back cameras and 20.0MP front camera
Sensors: Ambient Light Sensor, Proximity Sensor, Gyroscope, Accelerometer, Distance Sensor, E-compass, Hall Sensor, Barometer
Features: GPS,Glonass, Beidou, Galieo
Bluetooth:5.0
SIM Card: dual Nano SIM, dual standby

Networks:
GSM- B2 / B3 / B5 / B8, CDMA 1X/EVDO BC0
WCDMA/UMTS- B1 / B2 / B4 / B5 / B8 TD-SCDMA B34 / B39
FDD-LTE- B1 / B2 / B3 / B4 / B5 / B7 / B8 / B12 / B17 / B20, TDD-LTE B34 / B38 / B39 / B40 / B41

Message 1 of 17
ACE - Sage
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by Spos83
‎08-12-2018 8:33 PM

Re: Can I use the Xiaomi Mi 8 Global Edition on the AT&T Network Fully?

No reason it won’t work.  You would probably have an easier time getting LTE if you activate SIM card or move a SIM card from an ATT phone first.

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 17
Tutor

Thanks for the reply Lizdance40. I am feeling that to be the case, But I am afraid to purchase a phone and switch from Verizon, just to be shafted haha. So that helps set me at ease a little. Now if an AT&T Person can come on here and provide their 2 cents as well, I would be quite inclined to purchase the phone of my dreams.  I noticed they too answer in other Phone Question Threads.

Message 3 of 17
ACE - Sage

ATT will give you the standard response,”.  ... enter the IMEI in the BOYD checker to see if it will work on ATT”.  All that means is it will talk and text, no assurance of LTE.  

All they can do is the party line as they want to sell branded phones.  

Those of use who use NON carrier phones are a more reliable source. 

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 17
ACE - Professor

As far as I know, Xiomia Mi8 is a phone for EU market.

Global 4G FDD-LTE: B20/B1/B3/B7/B2/B3/B4/B8/B12/B17

if this is the Global Edition bands ? It will not fully work on AT&T.
Get a Huawei P10 Pro or P20 pro ….if you really need to use a Mainland China phone.Man Tongue

Message 5 of 17
Tutor

@adidaskid808 thanks for your response, but i think its wrong. I posted the bands in my OP and they are ALL of the main bands for ATT LTE. 

FDD-LTE- B1 / B2 / B3 / B4 / B5 / B7 / B8 / B12 / B17 / B20, TDD-LTE B34 / B38 / B39 / B40 / B41

2,4,5,12,17, no 30 but 30 is not widespread so it is mostly irrelevant.

Message 6 of 17
Tutor

@lizdance40- Thanks again for your response Smiley Happy  Ok so if I get the phone and it has all the matching bands for full functionality. How do I get around the IMEI being not in their system to activate LTE in the event that it puts me on a lesser band because of the IMEI. To import a phone and have it not work would be brutally expensive as a misstep.

Message 7 of 17
ACE - Expert

Just remember that phone has no warranty once it comes in the usa..

Message 8 of 17
ACE - Sage

@Spos83 wrote:

@lizdance40- Thanks again for your response Smiley Happy  Ok so if I get the phone and it has all the matching bands for full functionality. How do I get around the IMEI being not in their system to activate LTE in the event that it puts me on a lesser band because of the IMEI. To import a phone and have it not work would be brutally expensive as a misstep.

I already told you in post 2....

Or pick up a phone we know works.  Like one plus.  I use the 5t.  My son has a Razer, which is a US phone with US warranty 

Message 9 of 17
ACE - Professor

I don't like to say much.
But I agree with @GLIMMERMAN76 .No warranty in USA.
@lizdance40 ,too many phones on the market now. Better get one with warranty.

I don't know where OP would get this Xiaomi from. But I see the spec. different already for Mainland China
and Hong Kong . Xiaomi Chinese official website never say this phone are make for global market like
Huawei !! 

This is Mainland China  Market ,

全网通 5.0

持双卡不限运营商,均可4G驻网①

双Nano-SIM卡槽,任意卡槽均可设置为主卡
支持移动/联通/电信 4G+/4G/3G/2G
支持双卡VoLTE高清语音②

注1: 是否支持4G取决于当地运营商网络;两张电信卡不能同时使用
注2: 受限于运营商网络和业务部署,当前仅支持中国移动
VoLTE业务,后续可通过软件升级支持其他运营商VoLTE需求

支持频段

GSM B2 / B3 / B5 / B8
CDMA 1X/EVDO BC0
WCDMA B1 / B2 / B4 / B5 / B8
TD-SCDMA B34 / B39
TD-LTE B34 / B38 / B39 / B40 / B41 (120MHz)
FDD-LTE B1 / B2 / B3 / B4 / B5 / B7 / B8 / B12 / B17 / B20

LTE B41 4天线技术,可支持 4×4 MIMO

This is for Hong Kong  (AKA Global Market) 

4G + 4G 雙卡雙待

雙 Nano-SIM 卡槽,任意卡槽均可設置為主卡
支援 4G+/4G/3G/2G
支援雙卡 VoLTE 高清語音*

*受限於電信商網路和業務開通情況,後續可透過軟體升級支援各家電信商 VoLTE 需求

支援頻段

GSM B2 / B3 / B5 / B8
WCDMA B1 / B2 / B4 / B5 / B8
TD-LTE B34 / B38 / B39 / B40 / B41 (120MHz)
FDD-LTE B1 / B2 / B3 / B4 / B5 / B7 / B8 / B12 / B17 / B20
LTE B41 4 天線技術,可支持 4×4 MIMO

Message 10 of 17
Tutor

Thank you everyone for your information.

@GLIMMERMAN76 Thank you, I am aware that if I choose an Import phone I will have no warranty. It is a sacrifice that I am willing to make for the right phone. Smiley Happy 

@lizdance40 yea I noticed I missed your explanation in your first post about the sim switch. My eyes were closing at the time and I guess I skipped it haha. Thank you again for your help.

@adidaskid808 yea its confusing that they dont call their Hong Kong Market Phone, Global, but on the sites that sell it, they refer to it as global. and it has the right bands, so I am hoping Smiley Happy Thanks!

Message 11 of 17
Contributor

Mi 8 comes in 2 versions Chinese and global

All these wizards on here and none told you that.

If you get the global version it will work fine on at&t.

Message 12 of 17
Contributor

Oh and I'm using a honor note 10 and it works all over the US on At&t.

I'd rather pay 400 dollars over 1000 any day and get a better phone to.

Message 13 of 17
ACE - Professor

@ShaneOmaC 
Did I told you all about this Chinese and Global thing?? 
Good to know your Xiaomi Mi 8 Global Edition,
Honor note 10 Global Edition (AKA Huawei Mate 10 Global Edition) WORKING FINE on AT&T. network.

If this is it,all the following Chinese brand phones market as Global Edition are WORKING FINE on AT&T network!!
(Huawei Mate10 Pro ,P20 Pro, Mate 20,Mate 20 Pro,Mate 20X ,Blackview BV8000 Pro ,BV9500 Pro )

But please read the solution on this post. We need the phones to be FULLY WORK.

Message 14 of 17

Just gonna add my 2 cents, as a long time user of the OnePlus series of phones. I've owned them all except the OnePlus X, I've had some issues with AT&T at first with this phone not showing the LTE. Spent many hours with their Tech department and other departments in the beginning, however the newer ones work fine out of the box. I think that more and more users have gone the route of using or purchasing out of the country phones at a cheaper rate has helped. I've had to replace SIM cards, tried giving the IMEI numbers to AT&T, even that did not work all the time. I've taken the SIM from a fully working AT&T networked phone and nothing. I was finally, ALWAYS able to get the LTE working on my device. Give it a try, use a good sourced payer like PayPal, or by from Ebay with their buyer protection they offer. Even Swappa has some sort of buyer protection against defrauding buyers. I hope this helps...

Message 15 of 17
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Do you need to fix, replace or track a device? We Can Help With That!

Additional Support