Trade In and Get Rewarded!
Bandalo's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Thursday, May 30th, 2013 3:11 AM

Any downside to upgrading via Amazon or Costco?

I have a family plan with 2 Andoid phones, and after 2 years, I'm elegible for an upgrade.

Looking at the phones online, right now it's $200 per line for the phone with AT&T.  Checking Costco and Amazon though, it's only $120 for the same phone.

Is there any downside to upgrading with either of those companies rather than AT&T direct?  I'm not on an unlimited data plan, so I don't think I'll lose anything there.

Secondly, assuming I do the upgrade with Amazon/Costco, will I be able to upgrade both lines?  Can't seem to find the answer for this one online anywhere.  AT&T chat gave me two different answers when I asked, even if I was upgrading direct from AT&T.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

11 years ago

Yes there is a slight downfall. When you sign up via Amazon, the same 2 year contract will apply BUT if you leave AT&T within the 6 month period, you will be charged an ETF of $325 - $10 per month completed in addition to a penalty from Amazon which is a bit steep last I read.

If you want to upgrade via Amazon, make sure you read the terms and conditions, especially the "termination of service" section. Personally I would recommend upgrading via AT&T directly where you would know all the charges to expect.

Hope that helps you!

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

So essentially there's an extra early termination fee that applies for the 1st six months?

I don't plan on cancelling, so I don't think that will be a huge issue.

Are there additional fees if I change plans within that time period?  Right now we're on one of the older family plans.  I was considering switching to the shared-data plan though.  Will that fee apply if I make that change?  

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@Bandalo wrote:

So essentially there's an extra early termination fee that applies for the 1st six months?

I don't plan on cancelling, so I don't think that will be a huge issue.

Are there additional fees if I change plans within that time period?  Right now we're on one of the older family plans.  I was considering switching to the shared-data plan though.  Will that fee apply if I make that change?  

those terms apply no matter what plan you are on or pan to get, a lot of the 3rd party authorized retailers have additional requirements and fees, for example with Amazon - they have certain phones that have actually 2 prices - one for new subscribers and a higher on for upgrade subscribers. Would suggest that you pay close attention to the additonal requirements before you buy

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

11 years ago

It's best to check with the actual third-party that you want to buy the device with.  Different ones have different rules.  Some don't allow even for late payments that lead to service suspensions.  Others don't allow you to switch devices on the line for the first six months.  This would included even switching back to an old phone because you are going to the beach and don't want to risk damage to your new phone.

There are many other restrictions out there.  Check the terms with the entity that you want to do business with.  Those terms are their terms, and not AT&T's.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

From what I can read on Amazon's site, as long as I don't cancel service for 6 months, I'm good.  Just have to keep my account in good standing with the carrier.  No mention of switching devices, changing service levels, etc.  

Mentor

• 

49 Messages

11 years ago

Check with Walmart to see their price. Walmart doesn't charge any extra fees for switching plans, phones, or disconnecting the service. So even of you had service for a week and cancel there are no additional fees from Walmart. But you should shop in the actual physical store, not Walmart.com. The online site is outsourced to a third party company that DOES charge such fees. I am a Walmart employee, and I must admit I'm very knowledgeable about wireless, but not all Walmart employees are as well trained. Good luck!

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@renewedpurpose wrote:

Check with Walmart to see their price. Walmart doesn't charge any extra fees for switching plans, phones, or disconnecting the service. So even of you had service for a week and cancel there are no additional fees from Walmart. But you should shop in the actual physical store, not Walmart.com. The online site is outsourced to a third party company that DOES charge such fees. I am a Walmart employee, and I must admit I'm very knowledgeable about wireless, but not all Walmart employees are as well trained. Good luck!

Actually walmart does have additional requirements for a phone

http://wireless.walmart.com/content/faq#answer_4

here is a couple of them

Why do you require a 181-day minimum contract requirement?

In order to provide the best possible prices, we need to ensure that you maintain your account for 6 months. If you do not, you will need to repay the Instant Savings Discount you received when you purchased the phone.

Why do you need a credit card number if the phone I'm buying is free?

The credit card is used to validate your identity, and to process additional items, such as accessories. It is also used in the event that you break the 181-day minimum contract requirement.

As far as the other comments

ATT does not charge additional for switching plans

In the case of disconnecting service - if you are in contract the etf will be charged

They follow the same exact 14 day buers remorse policy, afte 14 days yiou owe the etf if you cancel

these polioces are from both the online walmart.com (run by walmart and not a 3rd party company) and in store

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.