Trade In and Get Rewarded!
v4p0rgt's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Friday, November 2nd, 2012 7:29 PM

Adding line to existing mobile share plan, subsidized discount?

I believe I know the answer, but I would like to confirm.

I am planning on switching to a mobile share plan, then porting my wife's # over and adding it to my share group.  In doing so, will I be able to get her a phone at the subsidized 2-year contract price? 

I read that each line maintains it's own contract and upgrade dates.

Next, my existing contract is up in a year, if I decided to go elsewhere once my contract is up, my wife would then be on the mobile share plan with her phone only, and continue to be so until her contract is up, no ETFs would be involved in the scenario, correct?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@v4p0rgt wrote:

She's with sprint, and I would be getting her an iphone 5, an upgrade from her current non-smartphone.  She has a grandfathered unlimited incoming plan, but she goes through her anytime minutes quite often and I'm tired of hearing about it lol.

So I figure the cost of upgrading my plan and adding her a line, and her (and I) then getting unlimited talk and text, would make it worth it.

I just don't want to pay 600+ for a new phone, I would like to get the $199 pricing on the iphone5.

coming from sprint then it is not a problem, she should be able to get the subsidized price, just be sure not to cancel the sprint first, but start the transfer at a att store.

Share plan comes with unlimited talk and text so she should be happy:)

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@v4p0rgt wrote:

I believe I know the answer, but I would like to confirm.

I am planning on switching to a mobile share plan, then porting my wife's # over and adding it to my share group.  In doing so, will I be able to get her a phone at the subsidized 2-year contract price? 

I read that each line maintains it's own contract and upgrade dates.

Next, my existing contract is up in a year, if I decided to go elsewhere once my contract is up, my wife would then be on the mobile share plan with her phone only, and continue to be so until her contract is up, no ETFs would be involved in the scenario, correct?

does your wife have a smartphone - that is the required first phone on the plan. If you leave and she does not have one it coud cause issues.

When you say porting your wifes number over - is that from another carrier, if the same carrier it is a transfer of billing responsibility, then she will have to check her upgrade elgibility date, if it comes from another carrier she will be able to pick out a phone

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

She's with sprint, and I would be getting her an iphone 5, an upgrade from her current non-smartphone.  She has a grandfathered unlimited incoming plan, but she goes through her anytime minutes quite often and I'm tired of hearing about it lol.

So I figure the cost of upgrading my plan and adding her a line, and her (and I) then getting unlimited talk and text, would make it worth it.

I just don't want to pay 600+ for a new phone, I would like to get the $199 pricing on the iphone5.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

Yeah, I ditched sprint a year ago for at&t and did so through best buy, would plan to do the same thing here, she's stubborn about change, so what I think I'll do, is get her the phone for X-mas, with a new number on it, and then after she's gotten it, and realized it's happening, then go in and port her existing sprint number over to replace the temp number.

Will be some extra time spent, but, should be able to work that out eh?

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@v4p0rgt wrote:

Yeah, I ditched sprint a year ago for at&t and did so through best buy, would plan to do the same thing here, she's stubborn about change, so what I think I'll do, is get her the phone for X-mas, with a new number on it, and then after she's gotten it, and realized it's happening, then go in and port her existing sprint number over to replace the temp number.

Will be some extra time spent, but, should be able to work that out eh?

not sure that will work, you need to verify it with att.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

Oh, I'll definitely be verifying this all with at&t before going through with it, thanks for all the help!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.