ATT won't upgrade my phone after I paid for a downgrade to preserve my upgrade eligibility

Highlighted
Contributor

ATT won't upgrade my phone after I paid for a downgrade to preserve my upgrade eligibility

In the spring I lost my iphone4s-32GB phone. AT&T customer service told me I could either take an early upgrade to the iphone 5s and pay ~$400, or I could buy a refurbished iphone 4s 8GB for $200 + activiation fee of $36, and then upgrade to the iphone 5s for free in 3 months when I was eligible for the full upgrade. Well, its been 3 months. The refurbished iphone is not working and AT&T refuses my upgrade. Instead, they connected me to an Apple support person to try to fix my current refurbished iphone and then hung up. I am going to guess that AT&T is trying to make the activation fee for my paid-downgrade (refurbished iphone4s-8GB) count as my free-upgrade by making the "activation fee or upgrade fee" one line item on the order summary.  One chat and one call, and they haven't budged in fixing this or giving me the upgrade I should receive according to their own policy.  I have been with AT&T for 9 years now and for the first time I think my loyalty is ready to walk out the door. Do I just keep calling customer service repeatedly demanding my upgrade?

Message 1 of 5 (880 Views)
Contributor

Re: ATT won't upgrade my phone after I paid for a downgrade to preserve my upgrade eligibility

I am following up on my last message. I called AT&T customer service again. This time the service representative tells me that the April iphone4 purchase was marked as an upgrade by mistake and the only we to undo the mistake was for me to pay another $200 for the full price of an iphone 4s. Really? Call me a sucker to get this over with... I have now paid ~$400 for my iphone 4s and I could have paid about the same in April if I had done the early upgrade to get the iphone 5.  I have to admit that every representative has been very nice over the phone, but really, I do feel like I've been seriously jerked around. My time and money was wasted, but at least I have the upgrade on the way. 

Message 2 of 5 (858 Views)
Employee

Re: ATT won't upgrade my phone after I paid for a downgrade to preserve my upgrade eligibility

The full prices for the various phones, that, to my understanding, att buys for the same price that you would from apple, are

iPhone 4s: $450.99

iPhone 5c: $549.99

iPhone 5s: $649.99

If you upgrade prior to your 2 years, AT&T is sometimes able to give you a partial discount, in exchange for another 2 year contract.

It sounds like AT&T gave you a partial discount on your 'downgrade', but are looking to reverse that in order to get you a better contract discount right now.

You're right, it seems a little odd, but the contract/upgrades are purely for discounts, regardless of whether you get a better phone or not

-Alex

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 5 (785 Views)
Contributor

I am having a (somewhat) similar problem - same principal anyway. I am on my parents family plan thing and I am so NOT a cell phone person. When they switched plans I went in to get a new phone cover (for a regular phone only device) and do the $15/month line thing. The guy tells me "you might as well get a smart phone, its the same price" so I got a iphone 4s. I went into it blind and trusted them. They have been continually overcharging us and when we call they just remove the charges. This has been going on for three months and just last weekend it was explained to me that my line was actually $40 and I just needed to go into the store and they could reclassify me. I go into the store and they had this 'well sucks to be you attitude' adn one woman seemed to want to help me, she called customer service told me there was a note on my account to do this and she just needed to run it by her supervisor. It has been 5 days, I call and am told "I am calling her right now and having her get back to you right away." It was explained to my by customer service that I could either have the discouted phone or the discounted phone, not both. I was blantenly lied to the first time I went in. At this point it is just a matter of principal, the store people talk to me in a very condecending manner and are just rude a-holes to everycustomer I hve seen in there. I just tried to file a complaint against the store with AT&T and they said I have to do it through the stores manager. For some reason, I can't lt this go. I don't even care about the money anymore, it is just the point - this is not customer service!!!

Message 4 of 5 (738 Views)
ACE - Expert

You have 14 days, "buyers remorse" to return the phone for a basic phone without a data plan.
you may feel you got played, but you are responsible to understand how the plans and phone purchase works. There are no FREE phones, not really. One way or another, the phone gets paid for.
If the phone requires a data plan, it costs a lot more for the phone and the plan.

Go back and ask these questions.
1. How much is the phone if I pay for it all now?
2. Does the phone require a data plan?

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/data-plans.html#fbid=QFnqeM2SjzL

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) We are fellow customers. Our answers are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 5 (721 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.