Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Why do glass break sensors have to be 'professionally installed'?

Highlighted
Contributor

Why do glass break sensors have to be 'professionally installed'?

Would like to order glass break sensors but refuse to pay $99 for 'professional' installation. What is so hard about installing these sensors.

Message 1 of 6
Guru

Re: Why do glass break sensors have to be 'professionally installed'?

The tech may have equipment to test the frequency of the glass break sensor to verify it is working. That is the only thing I can think of.  However I installed my own glass breakage sensor, carbon monoxide sensor, smoke detection detector, etc from eBay purchases. It is all AT&T equipment. If my only options were to buy from AT&T and then pay the additional $99 dollar installation, I would have passed.

Message 2 of 6
Guru

Here are the AT&T instructions they put out prior to being a truck roll,  I used these to install.

https://my-digitallife.att.com/content/dam/Support/device-installation/Glass%20Break%20Sensor.pdf

Message 3 of 6
Teacher

As long as you really understand the sensor specifically the detection range and effective coverage radius, there is no reason a competent person couldn't install.  I've installed 4 of them in my home.  Instead of spending the $99 on the tech   (who by the way didn't install the first one in the right spot,  and also had no idea how the tester worked),   I instead bought the Honeywell tester on Amazon for about the same price.  Tested every window within range to be sure I had it right.  It's too bad I knew more / cared more than the tech but I'm glad these sensors are properly installed in my home. 

I'd recommend you do the same and really get to really know your system, glass breaks are critical in my opinion.  The Honeywell tester is a FlexGuard FG-701.  It may seem a little overboard to the average user but if I need that glassbreak sensor to work,  I need that glassbreak sensor to work.  With this setup I'm confident of placement. 

Message 4 of 6

my windows has small put in the windows and they are still there

Message 5 of 6

We can not arm it, does not need batteries

Message 6 of 6
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Assistance Needed?
Additional Support