Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Pre-Existing Digital Life Equipment - RIP IT OUT AND GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!

Highlighted
Contributor

Pre-Existing Digital Life Equipment - RIP IT OUT AND GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!

So, we purchased a home with a Complete Digital Life Package. The seller had it installed not too long ago (Less Than A Year). The Seller and I have tried and tried to transfer the service to no avail. They said, "He cancelled the service" and we had to "reactivate the service" to transfer it. We tried that. Even with a transfer, we were told we would have to pay the "one time transfer fee" which was equal to their new service costs. So, what they do is, they charge you the same price for a new service, EVEN THOUGH, we already have all new equipment. This is a total scam. He could have had installed on a Monday, then, on Tuesday, sold the house, AND, Transferred the account. So the equipment could be 1 day old, AND, we (the new homeowner) would have to purchase a whole new system under the guise of a "one time fee" which is 100% equal to the cost of a new system, i.e., the exact same equipment installed. Stay away from this. I read tons of review about the lack of service, the equipment pitfalls and bad service, and costs. I do plan on taking this up with our local state government (Ohio) and the Ohio Consumer Sales Practices Act. I will use all avenues, i.e, Facebook, Instagram, BBB, and other consumer watch dog agencies about this. I have never seen anything like this in my entire life. What's hilarious is I've already decided at this point to go a different direction but if I can keep just 1 single person/couple from buying this service and equipment, it will be worth the time to do so. My lord. We wanted to just avoid having to rip everything out and re-install a whole new system, and, we followed their instructions to a tee! Absolutely ridiculous. Terrible company, terrible service, terrible company Period. End Of Story. DO NOT BUY, DO NOT SUBSCRIBE, STAY AWAY. If you have any doubts at all, leave me an email address and I will share with you even more detail.

Message 1 of 15
Community Support
Solution
Accepted by Community Support (Community Support)
Accepted by ATTDigitalLifeCS
‎11-27-2018 5:58 AM

Re: Pre-Existing Digital Life Equipment - RIP IT OUT AND GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!

@CBUSMPII  Hello. My apologies that you are frustrated and that you were told a piece of incorrect information. The only transfer of accounts that we do is between family members. We do not transfer accounts between previous and new homeowners so it always requires a new account which does have fees associated to it because we do have to swap out some of the equipment and have a technician on site to check all the previous equipment, install new equipment and get the system up and running. If you would like to discuss which fees would be applicable for you, please click on my user name and then click "Send PM" to send me a message with your name, address, and best contact info. Upon my reviewing of the equipment at the home , I can let you know what the cost would be to activate service. If not, i do wish you a happy holiday and my apologies once again.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 15
Contributor

I will PM you, I'm not accepting this as a "solution" as of yet.
Message 3 of 15
Contributor

I have a similar issue and want to get started.

Message 4 of 15
Community Support

@Jskinner37 Good Morning. If you could private message me your address, name and a call back number, I can help you and let you know the cost to get the system activated in your name.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 5 of 15
Contributor

I am trying to do the same thing with a new house purchase. The previous home owners left all the equipment and I am trying to get the system setup but cannot seem to get anyone on the phone to get this completed.

Message 6 of 15
Community Support

@kc3hope  Hello.  If you could private message me your address, name and a call back number, I can help you and let you know the cost to get the system activated in your name. Just click on my user name and then click "Send PM". Thank you

Message 7 of 15
Contributor

I was told AT&T was no longer in the security business.
Message 8 of 15
Community Support

@Jskinner37  Hello. My apologies that you received inaccurate information. We are here.

Message 9 of 15
Contributor

I had the exact same issue. Purchased a home with the DL System installed, tied to motion detector, window and door sensors and smoke alarms. I wanted to activate the system as I am currently an AT&T U-Verse Customer. I was told the equipment is useless to me (by the AT&T Customer Service Rep.) She said it is unique to the previous owner and that If I wanted to have the DL System I would have to purchase new equipment, even though the equipment they would install would be exactly what in already installed in my new home. THIS IS A TOTAL SCAM! I also understand that AT&T will likely be selling off the DL  At the end of 2019 (Likely to be acquired by ADT). Following their purchase of Time Warner, they are trying to accumulate cash reserves and selling DL is one way of doing that. 

Message 10 of 15
Community Support

@smkelly22   Hello. My apologies that you were told misinformation on several things. If you would like, please click on my user name and then click "Send PM" to send me a private message with your name, address and best phone number. I can then review the options for you that are available if you would like me to. Thank you

Message 11 of 15
Contributor

In case people are thinking this is an "old" problem, I am having the exact same issue today. Purchased home with a complete, elaborate DL system including cameras that had been recently installed by the previous owners. I have made several attempts to get assistance from ATT but have been repeatedly told by the Customer Service Reps that the system cannot be transferred over and that I need to purchase my own. They would not even agree to send a tech out to evaluate the existing system when I told them it was newly installed. I receive daily solicitations and offers from other security companies but hate to rip out an existing system and start all over. If I end up doing so, it certainly wouldn't be to put ATT DL back in!  

Message 12 of 15
Community Support

@socaljr57  Hello. If you would like you can click on my user name and then click "Send PM" to send me a private message with your current address and I can look in the system at what we installed at the home. Sometimes, previous homeowners remove different items from the home and the new homeowner would not realize this . Once I have the address, I can review the old account and provide you with a couple different options to consider for activating it. Thank you

Message 13 of 15
Contributor

We too are having an issue removing an ATT system. When we cancelled the account, no one bothered to tell us that the thing is hard wired to our home and our garage door will not work if we disable the hardware.  I called and asked ATT if we could pay an ATT tech to remove this system (that still communicates with ATT via Cellular) and was told NO. They do not have a drop down screen option that would allow them to schedule a tech, even at our expense and that we basically are stuck.  They will not reactivate the account and suggested a local handyman could remove it. I don't want anyone working on this who does not know the system. Spoke with a supervisor and got the same story. On the wireless side of this business, we've been customers of ATT for over 20 years! Was also speaking with individuals who are "off shore" and I am furious that ATT will not offer us a solution. When asked if we purchase a new account, will they take out this old system and of course, yes. Then why can't they assist a previous customer?

Message 14 of 15
Community Support

@KFred00  Hello. When the system is cancelled, the account is no longer live and cannot work thru the app anymore. Your garage door should still open and close via your openers or outside keypad if you have one of them, would just need reprogramming and this does not happen all the time so it's completely dependent upon the manufacturer of your garage opener. As for having a technician come out and uninstall equipment, we do not normally do that as we do not patch walls, paint, etc after the removal of the equipment at the home. I am not sure why they wouldn't reactivate the account... are you wanting it reactivated or wanting it removed? Just want to ensure that I am clear as I read both in your post. If you are wanting it removed, the system is no longer operable so you can just remove whichever equipment you would like or I can see if we can send a technician to do this for you, at a cost. If that is what you are wanting, please click on my user name and then click "Send PM" to send me a private message with your name, address and best contact phone number and I will see what we can do. Thank you

Message 15 of 15
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Assistance Needed?
Additional Support