Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Inherited System, No Service

Tutor

Inherited System, No Service

I bought a property and it came with DigitalLife. Without subscribing to the monitoring service, can I continue to use the system for local alarms?

It hasn't been armed, what if I arm it and accidentally triggered the system? How will I know or set the PIN to disarm it? Or does the PIN for disarming and exit delay only come into the picture when you have the service? 

I called AT&T but couldn't get a clear answer so I am hoping the community can help

Message 1 of 18
Community Support

Re: Inherited System, No Service

Hi @st11x

You may still use the system for local alarms only.  Without an active Digital Life account, our Monitoring center would not receive any signals from the system.  Our system does require a pin number be entered into the keypad to disarm the system and you would need to get that information from the previous owner if possible.  If a keyfob was left that may still work to arm/disarm the system but without active service there is no way for us to take a look at the system and to provide definite answers for what remains in your home. 

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 18
Contributor

"Using system for local alarm", does that mean there is no way to access the camera? How to see the video from the camera?

Message 3 of 18
Tutor

I have been playing around with it for a while and it doesn't even seem like you can use it as a "local alarm" unlike what the AT&T employee said earlier.

There is no way to arm it, the message on the console says front door is opened when it is not and there is no way to bypass it even when the manual says so, I am guessing that was the state of the system before service was cut off, and it remained that way.

I plugged out the system from the wall and plugged it back in and now I am getting communciation error from the keypad. I saw a similar post and that person could not recover from this either. The manual intentionally hides the important information like how to configure it, default codes, etc. 

So essentially, once you stop service, the equipment turns into a piece of junk. 

To answer your question, the camera is worthless and you cannot connect to it. 

Try calling AT&T and the moment they know you have stopped service, they become so rushed to drop the call with you it's "comical". 

Message 4 of 18
Community Support

You would normally access the camera and other online features via the Digital Life app.  Without an account, the app will not work.  You may check with the manufacturer to see if online access options are available. 

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 5 of 18
Contributor

You mention above that you can still use the system without the monitoring service.  What needs to be done to do this?  I had the system for 2+ years and cancelled last week.  Cannot seem to arm it or do anything, as the keypad comes up "failed communication" whenever i hit any keys.  What do i need to do to get it to work without monitoring?  Both my AT&T rep at my local store and the rep i spoke with on the phone during cancellation said it can be used without monitoring.  Thanks!! Mike

Message 6 of 18
Guru

I was chatting with sergio in the digital life center today about unrelated issues and asked him that. He indicated the sensors would still work and alarm would sound but it would not be monitored. I have not heard of a single person do that though so I am skeptical. The sensors communicate their status with dlc controller and it is still trying to connect wireless but cannot. So there is a missing element to make it work when system is deactivated. I have no plans to disconnect service but I would like to see one person make it work.
Message 7 of 18
Guru

If mine was disconnected I would try to locate siren in ac plug, attempt to arm and set off alarm. Then just unplug siren if it worked. But I am not sure the keypad works to do that. If it does not I would unsnap keypad from wall and remove batteries to try a reset on keypad. Then replace.
Message 8 of 18
Contributor

Having the same "failed communication" issue and would like to use it for local (only) alarm.  Any success?

Message 9 of 18
Contributor

I also bought a home that has digital life already installed. Since we obviously can’t get functionality without the expensive monitoring service does anyone know of any compatible 3rd party control units that can work with my existing wiring? Camera functionality not needed, just want siren, chime and keypad mostly. 

Message 10 of 18

I have the exact same issue... following the two year contract, I cancelled the expensive monthly monitoring fee and was told by the Digital Life representative that the alarm would still work. It does not. I am guessing the representatives were all brainwashed during their training to sell the Baloney line that the system will work locally once d/c from the monitoring service, especially since I cannot find anything on the internet of anyone having any success using the system without the expensive monitoring. 

Message 11 of 18
Scholar

I would be surprised if the system works w/out subscribing to AT&T Digital Life monitoring service.  All of the components communicate wirelesely via the Digital Life Controller unit.  

Also, without an active account, the cameras are useless.  

Message 12 of 18
Contributor

Bump please - would still like to know if this can be done. Since there are no user-serviceable parts inside the DLC-100 control unit, my instincts are telling me AT&T did not design their expensive system for you and me to continue enjoying once we disconnect monthly service. If the system can be disconnected from communication with AT&T, and then rebooted, that's going to be where I start. 

Message 13 of 18
Contributor

The whole system is a piece of junk to start with. We had a wired alarm system that came with our house, it wasn't active with monitoring but everything worked. The system would beep if doors/windows were opened and the alarm would go off if you set it. We decided to get digital life for monitoring while away & cameras. The system never would work properly with my existing alarm, and the tech told us "it's your existing wiring that is causing the issue and we aren't liable for any inconsistencies or compatibility issues. You will have to fix it yourself." The alarm system worked fine prior to at&t coming in and cutting out my old system. And they told me that their system would work fine with an existing wired alarm, but it didn't. Doors/windows wouldn't beep if they were opened/closed, the alarm panel would often say "door open" even if everything was closed. It was pure garbage. Now I have this piece of junk that says "communication error" all the time and I can't use any of my existing equipment bc the tech cut all wires in the panel and shoved them down into the wall AND they took my old equipment! The tech said "it's company policy that we take your old equipment". I said "why you don't own it, I do!" They replied with "I wish I could help, but I can't" and left with my old panel, junction box from my closet(the heart of the system), and battery backup! DIGITAL LIFE IS JUNK, THE SERVICE IS JUNK AND THE EQUIPMENT IS JUNK. If you don't have digital life service, you're screwed on using it as a deterrent bc it won't do anything without service. I'm trying to figure out how to use the cameras without the digital life service.

Message 14 of 18
Contributor

Did you figure out how to use the cameras without digital service

Message 15 of 18
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Assistance Needed?
Additional Support