Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Digital Life Installation

Contributor

Digital Life Installation

I have an old hard wired system with door and window sensors already wired to an old control system. Can Digital Life use the same hard wiring with a new control system or does the entire system need to be replaced?
Message 1 of 11
Mentor
Solution
Accepted by Community Support (Community Support)
Accepted by ATTDigitalLifeCS
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

Re: Digital Life Installation

AT&T can bridge most legacy hard-wired systems using their conversion kit. This will allow you to keep your existing hard-wired sensors and will probably save you some money from having to replace them with wireless sensors.  Make sure to check with them first to ensure your system is supported before you order.

Tags (1)
Message 2 of 11
Mentor

When I had my system installed this past Friday I asked the installer about doing the same to my legacy hard wired system. He did indicate this could be done as suggested in the solution, but he said there were ramifications. I can't recall exactly what he said, but something to the effect of not monitoring or controlling the items to the same degree as you can with the native sensors.

Message 3 of 11
Mentor

@casmered,

There are some limitations that may be less desireable for some, though nothing that I've found worth the up-front cost of paying for all the additional wireless sensors.  For example, in the DL app all of the hardwired sensors appear within a single sensor called "Conversion".  Depending on how the legacy system was wired and the technical skills of the installer, some of the sensors may end up being grouped together as a single sensor.  In my case (shown in the image below) all of my lower perimeter windows are treated as a single sensor.  The drawback here being that if someone broke in through any of my lower windows the DL system can't report which window was opened.  

conversionkit.png

The conversion kit (a/k/a Takeover Module) documentation states that the kit can handle up to 8 hardwired zones. In theory it should be able to handle 8 wired sensors though my installer did have some difficulty figuring out the wiring to the conversion kit so I just let him group the lower windows together.  From a monitoring perspective, I'm not aware of (nor have I experienced) any limitations whatsoever.  

I know this doesn't really apply to you now that you've already had the install done but maybe it will be helpful to others.  Smiley Happy 

Message 4 of 11
Mentor

Thanks, this is exactly what I was talking about!

Message 5 of 11
Tutor

I had wired sensors on my old AT&T system like a back door, glass break, and basement windows. I paid extra for the conversion kit which lives in my old alarm controller/panel. The old panel has to stay in one of my clothes closets forever now. The back door sensor didn't work and I had to use a new wireless. The glass break was not supported. I was told that the basement windows would be supported however they are not setup the way the original and better AT&T system had them. The windows use wired screens and used to alarm instantly in any armed or disarmd mode however the screens only of now when I have the alarm set stay or away. The instant alarming is gone. I was not happy with the resulting installation.

Message 6 of 11
Contributor

worst compan to ever sign up with security or anything at all.

Message 7 of 11
Contributor

Does anyone know the manufacture and model of the conversion takeover kit?

Message 8 of 11
Tutor

I second that!!

Message 9 of 11
Contributor

I changed from ADT and I totally regret it. My install started June 29th and continues as I type.  The system is horrible and the so called takeover or whatever its called to use your equipment is a way to rip us off.  Which by the way has worked to their favor... It's called wireless.

There is a 14 day return policy which cannot be used because set-up has been nearly 30 days.  I want my money back and I want this TRASH out of my house.

The fact that I have had 4 and soon to be 5 strangers roaming my house for hours is criminal on the part of AT&T.

Message 10 of 11
Community Support

Hello @wantarefund

Are there any issues with your system that you'd like addressed?

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 11 of 11
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Assistance Needed?
Additional Support