Explore & discover

Helpful Links

AT&T Digital Life

AT&T Digital Life

Is anyone using this service yet?

Message 1 of 105

Re: AT&T Digital Life

Well, you're incorrect.

The DLC control box basically has a cell phone inside it and THAt is the primary means of dialing into monitioring center.  The back up is over your landline or in my case VOIP over cable modem.

Here are some proofs.  Digital Life User Guide/manual page ii of viii has loads of information about both RF freguencies and radio controls   AT&T radio controls provide a reliable communications link and fill an important need in portable wireless signalling.

Then on Page 1 of 62 there is a flow chart diagram showing DLC controller using one of its' antennae to communicate with AT&T cellular and then the dlc going over your moem/router to also communicate with network.

Page 3 gives a pictue of the main control unit and lables the parts including 4 antennae one of which is labeled 1.  AT&T Clellular Data Antenna

Message 91 of 105

I believe the weak chipr has now been addressed but more than this, the keypad AND the siren communicate all alerts, chirps and alarms.

I have teh keypad in my living room and the siren upstairs in my master bedroom.  Unless watching a loud movie or listening to music we can hear everything pretty much all over the house with no issues.

WIth the keypad AND the siren a second siren doesn't seem like a requirement to me personally.

Message 92 of 105

Absolutely correct and I have demonstrably proven it to them using information available in the owners manual.

Message 93 of 105

Ok, here are my notes and experiences so far...

Installer was quite good but the work took almost 12 hours.  He was alone for all but two hours and did have to install the DLC, Keypad, Siren, 6 window sensors, 2 door sensors, 2 motion detectors and 4 outdoor cameras...

The good:  basic alarm system seems to work fine.  All sensors work as they should, alarm wakes me up, after setting emergency contacts we get called pretty quickly (in about 2 minutes) if there is a triggered alarm, Camera picture quality is quite good and night vision is also very clear with outdoor lights on OR off.

The Bad:  1.  Having issues with my 2 cats setting off PIR motion sensors that were suposed to be "animal friendly" up to 33 pounds.

2.  Video feed IS a little slow (like an average of 7 seconds) and I wish they would just run cat5 to a ethernet bridge into your router for cameras since they DO have to run lengths of cable for power of cameras anyway.

3.  Video cameras are currently NOT recording anything at all even when motion is triggered. 

4.  Notification programs for cameras are quite buggy.  I had set up alerts for camera motion and kept getting all four cameras going off back to back and "Snapshot alerts" when there was no activity OR snapshots taken. 

5.  Support is QUITE hit or miss.  Had a chat when I had questions about setting up camera activity notifications and the support agent directed me to the idea center tab at the top pf application.  After chat I found this to have 5 topics, NONE of which had content applicable to my question!

6.  Support was also unable to adress camer alert issues or why they're not recording so now I have, yet ANOTHER appt tomorrow from 1-4.

I certainly hope we can get the camera and motion detector issues resolved because I would like to add at least one more outdoor camer and might add two inside ones if we can get everything to work correctly.  Of course I am not going to add more equipment until I know the current stuff is all working correctly...

Ultimately, IF you can get a good install and everything works correctly this is a bargain for the price.  Total value from most security firms would be in the $1500 ball park, free installation, free basic security package and only paying for cameras works out to be a pretty dang GOOD deal.

Message 94 of 105

Camera recording issues are being solved now... Largely due to ME understanding what the issue was and figuring out how to solve...

If you want to learn what to do see here.. https://forums.att.com/t5/Receivers-Battery-Backup/Digital-Life-Cameras-Not-Recodring-No-One-Knows-W...

Message 95 of 105
Highlighted
Contributor

From what problems I've seen people positing on this foru...

From what problems I've seen people positing on this forum I can say one thing. Many of these issues or concerns are covered in your paperwork. That's why it is provided to you. To cover common issues and concerns as well as policies on the product. 10 hour installation time may be neccesarry when installing this product. That is stated in the paperwork. The other thing I'll say is that if you're outside of your thirty days good luck getting out of that contract. The other part of this is that a customer has ample time to decide on this product. With the product being as new as it is, as well as its gaining popularity, cause for installs to be pushed to about three to six weeks out from the time the agreement was made over the phone, in store, or the product was ordered online. You have the ability to cancel this install within 24 hours of the install date. Just as well, you also have a thirty day garuntee that allows for removal of the product withing 30 days of it being installed. So all in all you have around 2 months to decide on this product. In my mind this is ample time. I have sold this product to many of my valued customers, as I am a sales representative for AT&T, and I have not heard of any of the issues stated in this thread.
Message 96 of 105

Re: From what problems I've seen people positing on this foru...

I know you weren't only adressing myself; However, I would be quite surprised indeed if you talked up deficiencies since you sell the product.

The only issues I personally have encountered were absolutely NOT covered.  Not in my owners manual, not HERE where there isn't even a dedicated Digital Life thread or section, not in the Digital Life help tabs and NOT through chat or phone calls with "support"...

Long story short, they put in 4 cameras and did NOT set up or show me HOW to set up the connect activities that enable recording.  So they left me with four cameras that were giving a live feed but would do NOTHING else and NO one that I dealt with could talk me through how to fix it.

Took an area supervisor coming out here and intiating an assistance chat on his iPad and then them logging into my Digital Life dashboard to figure out the installers hadn't set up the cameras!  WHY be surprised though when they also damaged the old metal crawlspace door installing power cables and didn't even tell me, left my voip home phone unplugged, which I didn't discover for one week and then when the last guy was here he didn't close and secure my Digital Life controller box so my system had a tamper alert...

LOTS of little issues and a LOT of people who don't quite seem to know how to implement all of this quite yet.

As I said before, good value and system DOES work, but installers are learning as they go (especially if you get the newer cameras like I did) and customer support adn tools for finding answers to questions are pathetic right now.

Message 97 of 105
ACE - Expert

Re: From what problems I've seen people positing on this foru...

This is for Becky: Example of changing subject line. 

Went from "ATT Digital life" to "From what problems I've seen".

Also, the ability to delete posts is gone. :-(

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 98 of 105
Tutor

Garage Door Controller: Major Problems

I recently had Digital Life installed. I got the door package, which came with a front door lock and a garage door controller and sensor (as well as 3 door sensors, 20+ windows sensors, 2 motions, and 2 keypads). For the most part, the system is working correctly and I am content (not overly joyed) with the system. EXCEPT for one problem: the garage door controller.

The controller shows up in the devices list but does not allow me to attempt to operate it. When the first tech was installing it, he thought it might faulty, so he replaced it with a different one. The first time I tried to open the garage door, it opened. When I tried to close it, I got a timeout error in the iPhone app. I then tried it from my laptop, and the door closed! However, after it closed, the garage door controller icon became greyed out and was no longer accessible from any device (iphone, ipad, or laptop). The tech reset the controller and the same thing happened. It opened from laptop, closed from laptop, but gave an error message and became greyed out.

The tech tested the signal strength from the DLC to the contoller and said it was getting a "great" signal. He thought those 2 controllers made have been faulty, but his truck didnt have any more controllers to try. So, he setup an appointment for another tech to come out and give it a try, for the very next day. The next day came and a new tech showed up. He attempted to fix the current controller, but was not able to get the controller to not be greyed out. So, he replaced the controller with a new one from his truck and, THE EXACT SAME THING HAPPENED. 

It opened and closed successfully but gave an error message and became greyed out.

The tech throw up his hands and told me he didnt know what to do.

That makes 2 of us!

Any suggestions?

Message 99 of 105
Tutor

-

Message 100 of 105
Expert

NarlyNash - Suggestions is my middle name. I should have chosen it instead of aviewer for the forum.

Once upon a time, the mechanized door opener used to be simple. Then it was made safer.

Used to be all the controller required ws a simple closure. Now the system has a more complicated button that is tied in with the electric eye to make sure no one is in the way. The directions warn of substituting a plain button for the one provided.

How can this impact you?

If something is blocking the electric eye, your door will not close. Good that it is alerting you. Look carefully, just to make sure it is not a dust bunny.

It is possible the att "button" is not compatible with your door controller or not wired corectly. You should call the controller mfgr. I have found that Chamberlain is very helpfull. They probably make most of the units even though they have a different brand.

Message 101 of 105
Contributor

I have had my installation appt cancelled 4 times now wit...

I have had my installation appt cancelled 4 times now with out even a phone call from these so called Technicians saying they won't be able to make it how pathetic is that. Cost me money, so much wasted time off work and so much frustration having to sit at home for over 4 hours at a time. I have the brand new un opened boxes just sitting in my garage for over 4 months and still no follow from a so called manager or Vice President as I have requested to speak to for some time now. I am a u-verse subscriber for many years now and I will be canceling that svc here soon. Can any one please post up some suggestion on other home security providers I would greatly appreciate that!
Message 102 of 105
Tutor

Re: I have had my installation appt cancelled 4 times now wit...

Went through a 5 month nightmare with ATT. Camera 's not working, system going down ect. Finally took it out myself did my homework on consumer reviews and went with front point very happy

Have a great day
Joe

[edited for privacy]

Message 103 of 105
Tutor

GREAT NEWS!

I have found the resolution to the Garage Door Controller issue. Ive spoken to Customer Care Tech Support a dozen times or so and 5 different install techs have been to my house JUST TO TROUBLESHOOT THE GARAGAE DOOR CONTROLLER.

However, the last call to Customer Service uncovered the problem.

The garage door package comes with a garage door controller unit AND a tilt sensor. Come to find out, these 2 have to be installed together. The tilt sensor is not universal and it will only work with the garage door controller that it comes with. 

In my case, the initial controller may have been faulty, and thus, the techs only replaced the garage door controller, leaving the tilt sensor. At least 6 garagae door controller units have been replaced at my house, but NEVER the tilt sensor. So, this last time, when the tech came to troubleshoot, I ask that both be replaced with the pair that come together in the box. BOOM! Works like a champ now.

Spread the word.

The techs didnt know this and thought the tilt sensor was universal to any garage door controller, which is NOT the case.

Finally, all portions of my Digital Life packages are working as designed ... after 2 months from initial install!

.......................... whew. That was a beating.

Message 104 of 105
Community Support

Re: I have had my installation appt cancelled 4 times now wit...

@PrinceHallMason wrote:
I have had my installation appt cancelled 4 times now with out even a phone call from these so called Technicians saying they won't be able to make it how pathetic is that. Cost me money, so much wasted time off work and so much frustration having to sit at home for over 4 hours at a time. I have the brand new un opened boxes just sitting in my garage for over 4 months and still no follow from a so called manager or Vice President as I have requested to speak to for some time now. I am a u-verse subscriber for many years now and I will be canceling that svc here soon. Can any one please post up some suggestion on other home security providers I would greatly appreciate that!

-----------------------------------------------------
Hello PrinceHallMason!

Thanks for posting. I'm so sorry to hear about your trouble with installation of your Digital Life. We would appreciate the opportunity to remedy the situation, so please click here to send us a private message.

In your message, please provide your name, address, phone number, email address, and the best time to reach you. You can expect a reply within two business days, so keep an eye on the little blue envelope icon in the top right corner of your screen.

In the meantime, feel free to message me with any other questions or concerns. Once again, I apologize for the frustration and inconvenience.

-Karry

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 105 of 105
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Assistance Needed?
Additional Support