Explore & discover

Helpful Links

will a European Huawei Honor 8 work in the USA

Contributor

will a European Huawei Honor 8 work in the USA

Hi guys, the phone in question is unlocked (not bound to a specific European carrier) and i'm wondering if it will work on AT&T when I travel to the US. If not, I need to get another phone.

I've heard lots of conflicting information so thought i'd check with the community - thanks for your help

regards

matt

Message 1 of 18
ACE - Sage

Re: will a European Huawei Honor 8 work in the USA

It will, just not as well as the US model.  ( I have the blue one). 

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 18
Contributor

Thanks for the swift response, very kind. When you say it won't work as well, what kind of issues are you having?
Message 3 of 18
ACE - Sage

There is a good chance it will never show LTE connection, even though you may get good speed.  You should show a solid HSPA/HSPA+ which is good 4G.  

Since you will probably use Gophone rather than postpaid, your coverage will be ATT towers only.  

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 4 of 18
Contributor

Thanks for your help! You've been super, cheers.
Message 5 of 18
Contributor

I purchased the Honor 8 in Europe when my Nexus 5X died.  The Honor 8 will *not* detect a Carrier in the US, and is essentially a brick (from a cellphone/calling standpoint), though it works fine on WiFi.  Smiley Happy  I called Honor tech support, and they basically told me "tough luck".

-Michael

Message 6 of 18
Contributor

I confirm that the FRD-L09 honor 8 huawei does not work in the USA on any carriers...
Just arrived in San Francisco and I'm stuck.
It's not what I thought when buying that phone. I'm strongly disappointed.
Message 7 of 18
ACE - Sage

It will work on T mobile.  

Message 8 of 18
Contributor

Hi

T mobile not working as well...
I spent some time with them yesterday with no luck...
Message 9 of 18
Contributor

I have honor 8 FRD L09 and it didn't work on At&t it just worked on T mobile .. I have tried it. I bought mine from Saudi Arabia same as Eroupean model.
Message 10 of 18
Contributor

Ronyrun said T mobile doesnt work, but some others said FDL-L09 works fine with T mobile. So, which is the answer? I'm using "non unlocked"

Message 11 of 18
ACE - Sage

Non unlocked?   That would be locked.   As in locked to another carrier?   Any phone locked to another carrier has to be unlocked before it can work with a different carrier

Message 12 of 18
Contributor

I can't really tell the condition of my phone, since I bought the phone online (nt from the carrier). So there are only two types of phone? Unlocked and locked? Is there any neutral phone, like mine?
Message 13 of 18
ACE - Sage

Phones are either:

Factory unlocked, as in never designed for or sold by a carrier, never locked to a carrier.

or

Locked to the carrier they were sold for (like ATT) 

or 

Carrier unlocked.  As in all obligations were complete and the carrier has removed the sim lock so a phone can be used with other carriers.

There is no neutral.  I'm not sure what you mean by that.   As far as I know the Honor 8 was not sold by any carrier and would be a factory unlocked phone.  

Message 14 of 18
Contributor

Let say it's a factory unlocked phone, am I able to access 3g of T mobile (someone mentioned it), even though it doesn't have band 2 and 4?
Message 15 of 18
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Do you need to fix, replace or track a device? We Can Help With That!

Additional Support