For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
abacus2014's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, May 29th, 2014 2:07 PM

unlock iphone

I know that there are so many posts here regarding unlocking devices. But this is more of a suggestion to AT&T and I also would like to know how other people think.

I think that it's not reasonable nor smart for AT&T not allowing even the customers who want to have their phones unlocked while traveling foreign countries for a short period of time only because they are still under contract. After all, the purpose of a 2-year contract is for AT&T to collect monthly fees for 2 years regardless. My family plan consists unlimited talk time, unlimited text, and 10 GB data, so I pay $175 monthly as long as I do not go over the data limit. (And I don't just like the majority) That is, even when I'm in foreign countries, I will still pay that amount montly. If that's the case, I don't see how AT&T is being affected by it financially, and why AT&T sticks with the current policy that does not make much sense at all.

On the other hand, I learn that Verizon is selling unlocked iPhone 5/5Ss to its 2-year contract customers, so that they can use a local sim card while traveling abroad anytime. I've been a loyal customer of AT&T for many years, but now I'm not so sure whether I'll stay with AT&T when upgrading to iPhone 6 this Fall. Without change, I'll have a locked iPhone 6 for another 2 years. In fact, I'll never have an unlocked phone as long as I upgrade my phone regularly, and I'll have to rent a phone locally whenever I travel abroad unnecessarily.

This is something that AT&T should listen to its customers and change in my opinion.

Scholar

• 

185 Messages

10 years ago

This all depends. I can see your point as to why att should unlock it. However, that's not what majority of customers concern. Therefore, att won't do it. They might do it as a courtesy for some customers, but definitely not all.

They need the customers to be with the company enough to offset their expense.

All the phones that att aubsidize, they need to make it back from your cell phone bill. So, is really up to the company. We really can't do much. Unless, all customers have exactly same view, or enough customers complaint that will cause the company to lost millions of customers if not thousands and thousands.

Good luck.

Former Employee

• 

636 Messages

10 years ago

I've heard that is being rectified.

I don't know the details, but if you have gotten a denial, due to contract obligations, call in and see if/when there may be a way for you get that fixed.

-Alex

Scholar

• 

185 Messages

10 years ago

I know that they just change it, so I guess you are totally out of luck to get your iPhone unlock. You might be better off to pay someone to unlock it for you

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

10 years ago

It is illegal in the United States to unlock without carrier approval. No one but the person that had the phone on their account can get the phone unlocked so you can't pay someone to get it unlocked.

Former Employee

• 

636 Messages

10 years ago

Please do not recommend what's most likely an illegal procedure.

Edit: For some reason my last post didn't save.

abacus2014, if guangzl1 is right, then the recent changes may allow you to unlock your iphone.

You can always unlock your old phones and unlock new phones even.

The biggest concern is simply making sure a phone has no obligations, so the full price must be paid, or the contract completed/paid.

-Alex

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.