For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
mark98201's profile

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

Thursday, December 19th, 2013 6:18 PM

tablet data plan on unlocked non-contract phone devices ?

What happens with non-contract smartphones when customers only want the data service because they don't want and cannot use the primitive single-line voice services provided through a voice plan ?

Is it possible to use a tablet data plan ?

For example, I already have a Nexus-7 tablet with a tablet data plan. When I'm travelling, and the battery dies, can I continue to use the LTE data service that I'm paying for my moving the SIM into a compatible unlocked non-contract smartphone, such as a Nexus-5 or iPhone4 ?

If not, why not ?

Former Employee

• 

636 Messages

10 years ago

Ipad mini, Kindle Fire, . . . any table would work.
You can even make the tablet a hotspot, or get a seperate hotspot device, and share internet with an actual phone/smartphone
-Alex

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

6 years ago

After five years, my original question has never been addressed in a satisfactory way. 

Why does AT&T not support the use of older non-contract smartphones as small mobile tablets using ONLY data plans?

This is only a policy error on the part of AT&T, and has nothing to do with technical limitations of phone or tablets. 

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

6 years ago

I don't want or need lectures about mobile hot spot, Cisco, or other completely unrelated and useless information being posted by forum busy-bodies. I want a policy answer from AT&T. WHY force full phone voice plans on people who don't want them, when they only want cellular DATA PLANS for their devices ??

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

@mark98201 wrote:

I don't want or need lectures about mobile hot spot, Cisco, or other completely unrelated and useless information being posted by forum busy-bodies. I want a policy answer from AT&T. WHY force full phone voice plans on people who don't want them, when they only want cellular DATA PLANS for their devices ??

IMEI registration codes tell the system what kind of device it is.  ATT and any other major carrier does not allow smartphones without voice and data together..  You can get prepaid with voice only..  And you can get data with prepaid only on some MVNO's but they dont advertise it.

Its ATT's choice....  And its a moot point now since your really paying for data now anyway and they give you unlimited voice and text for free.

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

6 years ago

There is nothing 'free' about the super-inflated pricing for voice plans
that offer the one component that I simply do not want from cellular
service providers--their primitive cellular voice services which lack all
of the features I use in a carrier-class VoIP system.

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

6 years ago

This obvious answer is not a solution to the policy error on the part of the cellular services monopolies. 

This forum and it's idiotic busy bodies are collectively WORTHLESS for addressing customer business complaints and concerns.  

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

It was addressed you just don't like the out come.   Att is not going to change their business model.  No carrier is...  90% of the usa like a one stop shop for thier cell needs.  

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

6 years ago

@mark98201 wrote:
There is nothing 'free' about the super-inflated pricing for voice plans
that offer the one component that I simply do not want from cellular
service providers--their primitive cellular voice services which lack all
of the features I use in a carrier-class VoIP system.

Never read such uninformed nonsense.  

Data only plans for tablets are more expensive than phone plans.  

For $50 you can get either:

prepaid 8 gig plan for phones. (Its $40 with autopay)

prepaid data only 5 gigs  ( added gigs are $10 each). 

If you don’t want calls, just turn do not disturb on.    You can skip setting up Voicemail  

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/plans/planconfigurator.html?tab=data

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

6 years ago

Mind your own business. I want a policy change from AT&T.

[Please keep it courteous]

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

6 years ago

As a community member it’s as much my business as yours.  

You can hold your breath and look for flying pigs, it’s not going to change ATT or any other carrier either.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.