Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Questions about your Smartphone data usage? Please join us here for a live “Ask an Expert” event on Wednesday, August 24th from 1-5 pm ET / 10am-2pm PT.

Wireless Forum

Posted Dec 19, 2013
10:18:34 AM
tablet data plan on unlocked non-contract phone devices ?

What happens with non-contract smartphones when customers only want the data service because they don't want and cannot use the primitive single-line voice services provided through a voice plan ?

Is it possible to use a tablet data plan ?

For example, I already have a Nexus-7 tablet with a tablet data plan. When I'm travelling, and the battery dies, can I continue to use the LTE data service that I'm paying for my moving the SIM into a compatible unlocked non-contract smartphone, such as a Nexus-5 or iPhone4 ?

If not, why not ?

What happens with non-contract smartphones when customers only want the data service because they don't want and cannot use the primitive single-line voice services provided through a voice plan ?

For example, I already have a Nexus-7 tablet with a tablet data plan. When I'm travelling, and the battery dies, can I continue to use the LTE data service that I'm paying for my moving the SIM into a compatible unlocked non-contract smartphone, such as a Nexus-5 or iPhone4 ?

If not, why not ?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Dec 19, 2013 3:31:47 PM
(0)
Professor

mark98201 wrote:

If not, why not ?

Tablet and phone data plans are not interchangeable. The SIM from the tablet will not work in a phone. Neither will a phone SIM work in a tablet.

Accepted Solution

tablet data plan on unlocked non-contract phone devices ?

9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 19, 2013 10:42:36 AM
(0)
Tutor

How does AT&T activate the Galaxy Tab 3 8" with voice & SMS/MMS capabilities ? Does the customer get the choice of tablet or smartphone service ? 

How does AT&T activate the Galaxy Tab 3 8" with voice & SMS/MMS capabilities ? Does the customer get the choice of tablet or smartphone service ? 

Re: tablet data plan on unlocked non-contract phone devices ?

2 of 10 (2,400 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Dec 19, 2013 3:31:47 PM
(0)
Professor

mark98201 wrote:

If not, why not ?

Tablet and phone data plans are not interchangeable. The SIM from the tablet will not work in a phone. Neither will a phone SIM work in a tablet.

mark98201 wrote:

If not, why not ?

3 of 10 (2,367 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 20, 2013 11:30:15 AM
(0)
Tutor

Are there any small form-factor data-only devices which AT&T Wireless will accept on the tablet data plans for customers who want all of their voice functions run through their own corporate VoIP services ?

Are there any small form-factor data-only devices which AT&T Wireless will accept on the tablet data plans for customers who want all of their voice functions run through their own corporate VoIP services ?

4 of 10 (2,318 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 20, 2013 1:45:58 PM
(0)
Expert

mark98201 wrote:

we use cisco UCS voice and Cisco has apps available that doe VOIP, desk phone extension forwarding, audio conferencing, and full Multimedia conferencing. Check to see if your IT staff has anything like that available.

mark98201 wrote:

we use cisco UCS voice and Cisco has apps available that doe VOIP, desk phone extension forwarding, audio conferencing, and full Multimedia conferencing. Check to see if your IT staff has anything like that available.

5 of 10 (2,308 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2013 7:43:44 PM
(0)
Tutor

Cisco devices are not compatible with cellular data services, and are limited to corporate campuses. That's not what I was asking.

Are there devices which AT&T wireless will support for data-only cellular services with the same form-factor as smartphones ? For example, something like a Nexus-5 without the clunky low-bandwidth cellular voice, but with LTE data service.

Cisco devices are not compatible with cellular data services, and are limited to corporate campuses. That's not what I was asking.

Are there devices which AT&T wireless will support for data-only cellular services with the same form-factor as smartphones ? For example, something like a Nexus-5 without the clunky low-bandwidth cellular voice, but with LTE data service.

6 of 10 (2,254 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 22, 2013 12:31:24 PM
(0)
Expert

mark98201 wrote:

Use Cisco products for mobile voice, video, IM, and web conferencing over cellular all the time, you did not qualify personal or corporate so went with the way that the original question seemed to point.

When I travel I carry an extra external battery for the tablet

mark98201 wrote:

Use Cisco products for mobile voice, video, IM, and web conferencing over cellular all the time, you did not qualify personal or corporate so went with the way that the original question seemed to point.

When I travel I carry an extra external battery for the tablet

7 of 10 (2,226 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 23, 2013 12:37:47 AM
(0)
Tutor

Which Cisco product works on the AT&T cellular network with a data plan, but with the form factor of a phone?

Why even mention Cisco in this context when AT&T does not support their devices ?

Which Cisco product works on the AT&T cellular network with a data plan, but with the form factor of a phone?

Why even mention Cisco in this context when AT&T does not support their devices ?

8 of 10 (2,184 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 23, 2013 6:49:45 AM
(0)
Expert

mark98201 wrote:

ATT is a carrier and their the network does support cisco devices. Talk to your cisco platinium partner for your first request

mark98201 wrote:

ATT is a carrier and their the network does support cisco devices. Talk to your cisco platinium partner for your first request

9 of 10 (2,172 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 24, 2013 12:34:00 PM
(0)
Employee
Edited by loganic on Dec 24, 2013 at 12:38:16 PM
Ipad mini, Kindle Fire, . . . any table would work.
You can even make the tablet a hotspot, or get a seperate hotspot device, and share internet with an actual phone/smartphone
-Alex
Ipad mini, Kindle Fire, . . . any table would work.
You can even make the tablet a hotspot, or get a seperate hotspot device, and share internet with an actual phone/smartphone
-Alex
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

[ Edited ]
10 of 10 (2,103 Views)