Troubleshoot your device issues
mark98201's profile

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

Thursday, December 19th, 2013 6:18 PM

tablet data plan on unlocked non-contract phone devices ?

What happens with non-contract smartphones when customers only want the data service because they don't want and cannot use the primitive single-line voice services provided through a voice plan ?

Is it possible to use a tablet data plan ?

For example, I already have a Nexus-7 tablet with a tablet data plan. When I'm travelling, and the battery dies, can I continue to use the LTE data service that I'm paying for my moving the SIM into a compatible unlocked non-contract smartphone, such as a Nexus-5 or iPhone4 ?

If not, why not ?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

2.1K Messages

10 years ago

@mark98201 wrote:

What happens with non-contract smartphones when customers only want the data service because they don't want and cannot use the primitive single-line voice services provided through a voice plan ?

Is it possible to use a tablet data plan ?

For example, I already have a Nexus-7 tablet with a tablet data plan. When I'm travelling, and the battery dies, can I continue to use the LTE data service that I'm paying for my moving the SIM into a compatible unlocked non-contract smartphone, such as a Nexus-5 or iPhone4 ?

If not, why not ?

Tablet and phone data plans are not interchangeable. The SIM from the tablet will not work in a phone. Neither will a phone SIM work in a tablet.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

6 years ago

@mark98201 wrote:
 There are plenty of organizations using ONLY cellular data
services for their communications, including voice & telemetry.

And there are plenty that are not. I bet you the only data organizations are less than the data/voice organizations.

That's what
'IoT' happens to be, not the antiquated price-bloated voice plans.

You understand on any postpaid data plan, AT&T charges the same for tablets and phones that equally share data.

It really sounds like AT&T is NOT for you...

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

@mark98201 wrote:

Having a business account does not change the poor voice quality provided through the phone plans when calling off-network. 

Only running VoIP over LTE data does that for ALL calls, including calls to other virtual PBX extensions. 

Rather than insulting other business cellular services users, you busy bodies should go back to helping people with questions that interest you. 

Actually if you have a business account(depending on size of the business) you can have data only phones... My wifes work iPhone at her hospital is DATA ONLY all calls are routed thru the cisco system and the service is thru ATT.  She can call from anywhere with it but the calls are secured thru the cisco system they are using.  I said this in an earlier post.  A basic small business account may not get this but a enterprise account does.

As much times as you have spent arguing that ATT should offer this service you could have found a service that suits your needs because its evident that ATT does not.

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

10 years ago

How does AT&T activate the Galaxy Tab 3 8" with voice & SMS/MMS capabilities ? Does the customer get the choice of tablet or smartphone service ? 

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

10 years ago

Are there any small form-factor data-only devices which AT&T Wireless will accept on the tablet data plans for customers who want all of their voice functions run through their own corporate VoIP services ?

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

10 years ago

@mark98201 wrote:

Are there any small form-factor data-only devices which AT&T Wireless will accept on the tablet data plans for customers who want all of their voice functions run through their own corporate VoIP services ?

we use cisco UCS voice and Cisco has apps available that doe VOIP, desk phone extension forwarding, audio conferencing, and full Multimedia conferencing. Check to see if your IT staff has anything like that available.

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

10 years ago

Cisco devices are not compatible with cellular data services, and are limited to corporate campuses. That's not what I was asking.

Are there devices which AT&T wireless will support for data-only cellular services with the same form-factor as smartphones ? For example, something like a Nexus-5 without the clunky low-bandwidth cellular voice, but with LTE data service.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

10 years ago

@mark98201 wrote:

Cisco devices are not compatible with cellular data services, and are limited to corporate campuses. That's not what I was asking.

Are there devices which AT&T wireless will support for data-only cellular services with the same form-factor as smartphones ? For example, something like a Nexus-5 without the clunky low-bandwidth cellular voice, but with LTE data service.

Use Cisco products for mobile voice, video, IM, and web conferencing over cellular all the time, you did not qualify personal or corporate so went with the way that the original question seemed to point.

When I travel I carry an extra external battery for the tablet

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

10 years ago

Which Cisco product works on the AT&T cellular network with a data plan, but with the form factor of a phone?

Why even mention Cisco in this context when AT&T does not support their devices ?

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

10 years ago

@mark98201 wrote:

Which Cisco product works on the AT&T cellular network with a data plan, but with the form factor of a phone?

Why even mention Cisco in this context when AT&T does not support their devices ?

ATT is a carrier and their the network does support cisco devices. Talk to your cisco platinium partner for your first request

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.