For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
JWrangler4x42001's profile

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

Thursday, October 23rd, 2008 2:42 PM

Closed

smart chip

what is the smart chip? I'm trying to fix my bf's phone and we got replacement in and i put in sim card and it still says insert smart chip?

Accepted Solution

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

15 years ago

Have you already tried removing the SIM for a few moments and reinserting it?  I'd also try cleaning the gold contacts on the SIM by rubbing gently with a pencil eraser.

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

16 years ago

The smartchip is the SIM.  Without knowing which model you are working with it's hard to say for certain what the problem may be.  On my W580i, you have to slide the SIM all the way into the slot - until it actually clicks, locks into place and doesn't pop back out when you release it.  The battery will not properly hold it in place.

For several other SE models I've seen people indicate that the SIM needs to be shimmed slightly - with the edge of a folded piece of paper, for example - to properly hold it in position against the contacts.

Scholar

• 

111 Messages

16 years ago

Also if your bf's phone is from the old AT&T era you will need to unlock it before you can use the new SIM card.  Just a thought.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

15 years ago

My w508i was working fine and then it all of a sudden said insert smart chip. I've had this phone for about 2 months and haven't had this problem. But I've had the model for almost a year. I know you're supposed to put the sims card in until it clicks...I've done that, but it sitll says insert smart chip...

????....

Contributor

• 

1 Message

15 years ago

I'm having the same problem with the z750a. The chip will work in another phone, and a different chip works in the z750a, but when i put my chip back in it. It still says insert smartchip.

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

15 years ago

I would try shimming it by folding a small piece of paper a couple of times and insert it under the edge of the SIM card - see if that solves the problem.  It may be that the other SIM card is slightly thicker and is making better contact.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

15 years ago

I have the same problem with my LG Shine.  Just started today.  My alarm went off this morning and I turned it off.  The slider on my phone was closed and it had my correct background and current time.  I opened the phone and next thing i know it says  "Insert Smarchip"   I've tried cleaning the contacts with an eraser, didnt help.  Tried putting in a piece a paper so the contacts would touch, didnt work.  I dont want to admit that my data is lost on my SIM card yet, but it may be. 

If it is the SIM card, is there any where or anyone who can retrieve the data off the Card?  If anyone has any information on how or who can do this, I would really appreciate it.  I really dont want to lose all my contacts.  Thanks.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.