For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
agdodge4x4's profile

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

Thursday, May 11th, 2017 12:27 PM

"Unlimited" data, caps, devices, and throttling...help me understand

I'm considering switching to the unlimited Plus plan which includes a hotspot.  I already have two phones AND a Unite Pro Mobile Hotspot.  I also have the 40GB plan of mobileshare data.  This setup is my ONLY option for dedicated internet at my home.  So, I want to make sure I understand what I'm getting before actually switching because AT&T agents don't seem to ever have a solid handle on the plans they are peddling.

Online the legal documents say:

[quote]Tethering and mobile hotspot:Includes up to 10GB per device, per month. After 10GB, tethering speed will be slowed to a max of 128Kbps for the rest of the bill period[/quote]

I understand that this means if I tether and use my cell phone as a hotspot, then after 10GB I speed gets chopped to nearly unusable speeds.

What does it mean for my UNIT PRO hotspot?  Does that too get cut after 10gb?  I connect all of my wireless devices to that physical hotspot.  As it is, I have a minimum of 5Mbps of download speed throughout my entire 40gb plan.  

Im worried that changing, while getting me unlimited data, will also render my internet useless, which is not an option.  It seems like the plan is not so much Unlimited as it is "Unlimited*".

Help me understand what the 10Gb throttle cap means.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

7 years ago

Hotspot devices get 22GB of full speed LTE before subject to prioritization. Only phones and tablets have the 10GB hotspot limit.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

7 years ago

@agdodge4x4 wrote:

I'm considering switching to the unlimited Plus plan which includes a hotspot.  I already have two phones AND a Unite Pro Mobile Hotspot.  I also have the 40GB plan of mobileshare data.  This setup is my ONLY option for dedicated internet at my home.  So, I want to make sure I understand what I'm getting before actually switching because AT&T agents don't seem to ever have a solid handle on the plans they are peddling.

Online the legal documents say:

[quote]Tethering and mobile hotspot:Includes up to 10GB per device, per month. After 10GB, tethering speed will be slowed to a max of 128Kbps for the rest of the bill period[/quote]

I understand that this means if I tether and use my cell phone as a hotspot, then after 10GB I speed gets chopped to nearly unusable speeds.

What does it mean for my UNIT PRO hotspot?  Does that too get cut after 10gb?  I connect all of my wireless devices to that physical hotspot.  As it is, I have a minimum of 5Mbps of download speed throughout my entire 40gb plan.  

Im worried that changing, while getting me unlimited data, will also render my internet useless, which is not an option.  It seems like the plan is not so much Unlimited as it is "Unlimited*".

My understanding is the unite pro hotspot will be unlimited to 22gb then re prioritized and slowed down if the tower you are on is congested. 

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@agdodge4x4 wrote:

This is only for when you are sharing data through your phone's hotspot. It does not apply to mobile hotspot devices...

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

Are we certain of this?  Is there anyone from AT&T that can confirm this?  I am terrified that I will switch and be hosed.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

7 years ago

Evaluate how much of that share data is used by the unite pro.  If the bulk of your data is used through it, and would not be shifted by having 10 gigs on other devices, then it's not your best option.

Another thing to consider is employee discounts (not allowed on the 2017 unlimited plan.) and the $25 TV discount.  

In your shoes, I would consider moving a phone over to see if it hits a wall at 22 gigs.  If it does, the hotspot would too.  This would also make sure you can move the phone back to an existing plan if it doesn't work out.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@agdodge4x4 wrote:

Are we certain of this?  Is there anyone from AT&T that can confirm this?  I am terrified that I will switch and be hosed.

Just READ THE PLAN details, PLEASE...   🙂

After 10GB, tethering speed will be slowed to a max of 128Kbps for the rest of the bill cycle (except for these products: Connected Cars, Hot Spots, and Wireless Home Phone and Internet).

is what it says at https://www.att.com/unlimited

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.