For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
pacificlots's profile

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, June 17th, 2014 4:42 PM

Closed

How am i receiving calls from disconnected numbers

I get ghost calls from randomly changing numbers about once a day, typically in the middle of the night.  They also usually leave a message, blank but takes up message space and indicates I have a message.  I call the numbers back sometimes and they are always not a working number.  I can block each time but they always come from a new number.  Any ideas on what to do to stop this madness?

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

8 years ago

Scammers are doing things that are ilegal, and they won't stop just because we don't like it.  They make money by scamming and stealing it from others, and if just one in 10,000 calls is successful, they make a profit.  They fake their callerID (to regular customers like us) so that's why they show as disconnected if you try to call them back.

Lately, I've been getting lots of calls from political campaigns, which while annoying, is still legal.  

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

Haha, conspiracy much?

Or just maybe he has been in office for 8 years and technology and capabilities change fast?

How about that when he came into office smartphones were just nice idea that was just beginning and the very large majority of people still used a land line?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I thought the name of this thread was "How to stop ghost calls from non working numbers". Now it seems to have turned into "Hey Snowflakes, feel free to highjack this thread".

ACE - Professor

• 

3K Messages

7 years ago

Download ATT Call Protect app and install.  This will cut down on these calls.  Has helped cutdown on ones I receive

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

WOW!!! Here is a new one!

So like all of you, I too have been receiving these annoying calls on my cell phone that is listed on the do not call list.  I have stopped answering #'s I am not familiar with and wait for that dead voicemail that is a hang up. BUT...while I am at work (company that has rotary lines for business) I call back that #, that as you know, is a non-working out of service #. Funny thing is I just received a "CALL BACK" and after repeating the business name thanks for calling...I hear that funky clicking sound when that scammer starts their spiel, only this time they ask me, "Is this a business?" I say yes and that they say, "Sorry, wrong number".  WHAT!!!  So even though you call back and the line is not working....supposedly, they see you calling which in turn keeps them calling you!!  This must be how our #'s stay on their annoying list! Hope this helps.       ~Kat

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

The best way to block these calls on a landline is to use a portable device costing about $20 called ProCall Blocker, it stores up to 1500 numbers which you can add to your blacklist of numbers.  The phone will ring once then go dead.  It is 100% effective.  Best of luck, John.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I was told never to say "yes" or "ok" or anything like that because they can use the recorded response to say that you agreed to something, like something that could be charged to an account you have every month or however often they please.  I never use those words.  Sometimes they ask if I can hear them or something, but I never say anything.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

The only way that I have found to work is to use the blocking device on your iPhone for numbers you don't want to answer! It's temporary but they give up sooner than later !
I've also found that trying to talk to them during the call is fruitless it's a robocall so good luck with that tactic. As far as I'm concerned it's a pain in the rear one has to put up with till someone comes up with a better idea.😱

• 

25.7K Messages

7 years ago

I've been having this problem despite being on the do not call list. I don't recall this with my other phone service-- are people experiencing this as a result of AT&T service? I'm curious, as the only suggestion from AT&T for solutions was to turn off my phone and keep blocking the numbers. But that interrupts my day and I see all my missed calls and have to phone them back (if no message) to see if they were clients. UGH! I'm thinking of switching carriers to see if that stops all this nonsense, as I've never had an issue in the past, and I'm thinking it might be because I'm with AT&T now. Tired of all the recorded message calls!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

How come this has YET to be answered??  there is no solution to this issue??

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.