For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
pacificlots's profile

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, June 17th, 2014 4:42 PM

Closed

How am i receiving calls from disconnected numbers

I get ghost calls from randomly changing numbers about once a day, typically in the middle of the night.  They also usually leave a message, blank but takes up message space and indicates I have a message.  I call the numbers back sometimes and they are always not a working number.  I can block each time but they always come from a new number.  Any ideas on what to do to stop this madness?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Employee

• 

420 Messages

2 years ago

Hello Community,

There is a lot of very helpful information on this thread, but we wanted to jump in and provide a response that incorporates all the important key elements.

Unfortunately, there is a common scamming practice known as number spoofing where one’s phone number can be used to call other people and attempt to get personal and private information. This is illegal and almost impossible to stop.

This practice allows scammers to personally choose the number that will be shown on the recipient’s caller ID. Your account or usage is in no way affected by number spoofing.

Our recommendation:

Download AT&T Call Protect. In addition to blocking numbers from known fraudsters, AT&T Call Protect also provides suspected spam warnings and lets you manually block and report individual callers. 

The Federal Trade Commission has more information about Caller ID spoofing scams on its website: https://www.fcc.gov/spoofing.

We do have the option to change your phone number which may act as a deterrent but is not a guaranteed solution. You can learn more about number spoofing and what to do about it on our Cyber Aware blog.

Thank you for contacting AT&T!

Employee

• 

156 Messages

10 years ago

What kind of phone are you using? If it's an iPhone you could always put your phone on do not disturb mode. If not I would continue to block them. It's more than likely a robo-call scam. You can always get your number changed though, but if you block them they should eventually stop. I ran into a string of calls from out of state a few months back , same time everyday and it eventually stopped. Hope this helps!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

This has now become a problem on my phone as well.  I have had my cell phone on  the registered do not call list for a few years now, but I have recently gotten a lot of calls from some telemarketer that keeps using different numbers of the 404 type which is the first three numbers of my cell number after area code.  I put the number on my Samsung S4 blocked list, but it still goes to voicemail.  The calls do not stop and I am constantly getting  voicemails.  I want to be able to block them and not be able to get messages from them.  

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

The same this happens to me nearly everyday! I get calls from my 805 area code with the same first 3 digits as mine, and last 4 numbers are always different. It's getting so obnoxious! It's either in English or Spanish for "winning a trip with Expedia and if you're over 30 with a credit card number"... So I press 1 to talk to someone and they answer and Hang up on me as soon as I as for a manager. Then I try to call the numbers back and it's either someone's personal phone number and they had no idea about it. Or it says "this number is unavailable."

I called ATT and there was nothing they could do to help, but it's ridiculously annoying.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

Me too. I'm so sick and tired of this stupid not working number. I've been receiving that calls since 2015 of December. It's really annoying. They uyed Different number. When I tried to call them back just to tell them to stop calling me. It was a non working number or been disconnected. DUH... right away..??? Please help me to solved this annoying phone calls. I received 7 times a day... different number simultenously. It's really getting into my nerve. Please help me or suggestion how to stop this SCAMMERs. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

John Marble

Today, May 20th, 2016, received a call from New York, I answered, no one there. Called the  number,  it turns out this is a non working number. How does a non working number make a call?

Just got a seconed call, same number. Phon companies should be able to stop these calls!!!!!!

*** a nonworking number.

[Edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.]

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

Good luck!!! I have the same problem. If the US Gov. won't step in it is going to get worse.

[Inappropriate content removed]

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

My Panasonic phone has a block caller feature, it will only hold 100 numbers, in less than 6 months I've used up over 75#s. The feature works, after one(1) ring the call is "blocked" why don't the phone companies offer such a service? I'd be willing to pay an extra fee on my phone bill for such a service. It would make sense for all the telephone companies to make such a service for all subscribers a boon and more income for the telephone companies.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

Hi, I am having a similar problem as you and the advice sent to you by Shaunnie Darko was  useless. You have a phone so you can keep in contact with people so do not disturb is not an option and since they call from different numbers you won't know it's them until you answer. Also, changing your number is not an option. How can she suggest that. I have had this same number since cell phones came out. 

She really gives bad advice.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

It is a huge problem on my cell phone line.  I get at least two calls a day from different phone numbers - mostly from my own area code or adjacent area codes.  I never answer them and they never leave a message.  Not sure if letting them wrong through to the voicemail is better that sneding them immediately to voicemail bu hitting "ignore".  Someone told me to answer the call but remain quiet.  Not sure if that is any good, either.  I was traveling in Europe this summer and the phone rings in Europe from these scammers.  AT&T charges for roaming rings - even if you don't answer.  Terrible.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.