Explore & discover

Helpful Links

how to stop ghost calls from non working numbers

Highlighted

how to stop ghost calls from non working numbers

I get ghost calls from randomly changing numbers about once a day, typically in the middle of the night.  They also usually leave a message, blank but takes up message space and indicates I have a message.  I call the numbers back sometimes and they are always not a working number.  I can block each time but they always come from a new number.  Any ideas on what to do to stop this madness?

Message 1 of 106
Employee

Re: how to stop ghost calls from non working numbers

What kind of phone are you using? If it's an iPhone you could always put your phone on do not disturb mode. If not I would continue to block them. It's more than likely a robo-call scam. You can always get your number changed though, but if you block them they should eventually stop. I ran into a string of calls from out of state a few months back , same time everyday and it eventually stopped. Hope this helps!
*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 106
Contributor

This has now become a problem on my phone as well.  I have had my cell phone on  the registered do not call list for a few years now, but I have recently gotten a lot of calls from some telemarketer that keeps using different numbers of the 404 type which is the first three numbers of my cell number after area code.  I put the number on my Samsung S4 blocked list, but it still goes to voicemail.  The calls do not stop and I am constantly getting  voicemails.  I want to be able to block them and not be able to get messages from them.  

Message 3 of 106
Contributor

The same this happens to me nearly everyday! I get calls from my 805 area code with the same first 3 digits as mine, and last 4 numbers are always different. It's getting so obnoxious! It's either in English or Spanish for "winning a trip with Expedia and if you're over 30 with a credit card number"... So I press 1 to talk to someone and they answer and Hang up on me as soon as I as for a manager. Then I try to call the numbers back and it's either someone's personal phone number and they had no idea about it. Or it says "this number is unavailable."

I called ATT and there was nothing they could do to help, but it's ridiculously annoying.
Message 4 of 106
Contributor

Me too. I'm so sick and tired of this stupid not working number. I've been receiving that calls since 2015 of December. It's really annoying. They uyed Different number. When I tried to call them back just to tell them to stop calling me. It was a non working number or been disconnected. DUH... right away..??? Please help me to solved this annoying phone calls. I received 7 times a day... different number simultenously. It's really getting into my nerve. Please help me or suggestion how to stop this SCAMMERs. 

Message 5 of 106
Contributor

John Marble

Today, May 20th, 2016, received a call from New York, I answered, no one there. Called the  number,  it turns out this is a non working number. How does a non working number make a call?

Just got a seconed call, same number. Phon companies should be able to stop these calls!!!!!!

*** a nonworking number.

[Edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.]

Message 6 of 106
Contributor

Good luck!!! I have the same problem. If the US Gov. won't step in it is going to get worse.

[Inappropriate content removed]

Message 7 of 106
Contributor

My Panasonic phone has a block caller feature, it will only hold 100 numbers, in less than 6 months I've used up over 75#s. The feature works, after one(1) ring the call is "blocked" why don't the phone companies offer such a service? I'd be willing to pay an extra fee on my phone bill for such a service. It would make sense for all the telephone companies to make such a service for all subscribers a boon and more income for the telephone companies.
Message 8 of 106
Contributor

Hi, I am having a similar problem as you and the advice sent to you by Shaunnie Darko was  useless. You have a phone so you can keep in contact with people so do not disturb is not an option and since they call from different numbers you won't know it's them until you answer. Also, changing your number is not an option. How can she suggest that. I have had this same number since cell phones came out. 

She really gives bad advice.

Message 9 of 106
Tutor

It is a huge problem on my cell phone line.  I get at least two calls a day from different phone numbers - mostly from my own area code or adjacent area codes.  I never answer them and they never leave a message.  Not sure if letting them wrong through to the voicemail is better that sneding them immediately to voicemail bu hitting "ignore".  Someone told me to answer the call but remain quiet.  Not sure if that is any good, either.  I was traveling in Europe this summer and the phone rings in Europe from these scammers.  AT&T charges for roaming rings - even if you don't answer.  Terrible.

Message 10 of 106
Master

Scammers are doing things that are ilegal, and they won't stop just because we don't like it.  They make money by scamming and stealing it from others, and if just one in 10,000 calls is successful, they make a profit.  They fake their callerID (to regular customers like us) so that's why they show as disconnected if you try to call them back.

Lately, I've been getting lots of calls from political campaigns, which while annoying, is still legal.  

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Message 11 of 106
Tutor

Haha, conspiracy much?

Or just maybe he has been in office for 8 years and technology and capabilities change fast?

How about that when he came into office smartphones were just nice idea that was just beginning and the very large majority of people still used a land line?

Message 12 of 106
Contributor

I thought the name of this thread was "How to stop ghost calls from non working numbers". Now it seems to have turned into "Hey Snowflakes, feel free to highjack this thread".

Message 13 of 106
ACE - Professor

Download ATT Call Protect app and install.  This will cut down on these calls.  Has helped cutdown on ones I receive

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 14 of 106
Contributor

WOW!!! Here is a new one!

So like all of you, I too have been receiving these annoying calls on my cell phone that is listed on the do not call list.  I have stopped answering #'s I am not familiar with and wait for that dead voicemail that is a hang up. BUT...while I am at work (company that has rotary lines for business) I call back that #, that as you know, is a non-working out of service #. Funny thing is I just received a "CALL BACK" and after repeating the business name thanks for calling...I hear that funky clicking sound when that scammer starts their spiel, only this time they ask me, "Is this a business?" I say yes and that they say, "Sorry, wrong number".  WHAT!!!  So even though you call back and the line is not working....supposedly, they see you calling which in turn keeps them calling you!!  This must be how our #'s stay on their annoying list! Hope this helps.       ~Kat

Message 15 of 106
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Do you need to fix, replace or track a device? We Can Help With That!

Additional Support