Troubleshoot your device issues
cjthelder's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Sunday, May 17th, 2009 3:26 PM

Closed

gps - how to stop message that data has expired

I have the HTC Tilt phone.  At least once a day I get the following message; "The satellite data on your device has expired. Open quickGPS to download the latest data."

I do not use the GPS feature on my phone (I have two other GPS units, and do not need a third).

I cannot seem to stop this message from appearing.  

I've tried many avenues, but none seem to work, but the message is becoming very annoying.

Thanks in advance. for any help.

Accepted Solution

Master

• 

3K Messages

15 years ago

When you open QuickGPS, tap Menu > Options and UNcheck the top box that says "Remind me when data expires".  If you don't use it at all, uncheck the rest of the boxes, too.  But keeping that top box unchecked should take care of the problem.

Scholar

• 

185 Messages

15 years ago

Sorry I don't have an answer but was wondering what exactly is this for? and do you have to keep it updated?

Scholar

• 

111 Messages

15 years ago

@HunBun wrote:
Sorry I don't have an answer but was wondering what exactly is this for? and do you have to keep it updated?

QuickGPS loads almanac data that tells the receiver where the GPS satellites are. It is called ephemeris information, I think. It helps the unit find satellites more quickly that if it has to search them without the data. 

I think the unit will work without Quickgps, but it should lock faster with QuickGPS enabled. I don't know if it is useful if you move the phone with the GPS off (e.g. you fly across the country). Perhaps others can comment on that.

Message Edited by emuyshondt on 05-17-2009 01:31:47 PM

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

15 years ago

Thank you very much.  That worked like a charm.  No more pesty messages.

I had just never opened it; rather, I would select Options immediately and then "dismiss."  But it would not stay dismissed.  Now it is gone.

Thanks again.

Professor

• 

3.8K Messages

15 years ago

@emuyshondt wrote:

@HunBun wrote:

QuickGPS loads almanac data that tells the receiver where the GPS satellites are. It is called ephemeris information, I think. It helps the unit find satellites more quickly that if it has to search them without the data. 

I think the unit will work without Quickgps, but it should lock faster with QuickGPS enabled. I don't know if it is useful if you move the phone with the GPS off (e.g. you fly across the country). Perhaps others can comment on that.

Message Edited by emuyshondt on 05-17-2009 01:31:47 PM

Using QuickGPS greatly shortens the time it takes the phone to lock on to satellites. This is true when travelling aborad too!

Scholar

• 

185 Messages

15 years ago

I will keep it on then, I update through wifi and it takes just a few seconds to download.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.