Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Nov 29, 2008
10:16:18 AM
View profile
email on 760a
I downloaded gmail and setup yahoo mail in addition to setting up an account for AT&T mobile email.  I was surprised to find out that I cannot copy and past from an incoming message if I want to use that text in part of a reply.  I don't care which email provider I use, I want to be able to edit the incoming message; including being able to detach attached files.  (Note that I can detach files in YAHOO; not the AT&T mobile email interface for yahoo but int he native yahoo mobile interface, but I cannot copy and paste from the text inthe bidy of the message.)

Also, if there are URLs in the incoming message, I rarely can open those links, anyone know why?

Thanks. 

Also, n
I downloaded gmail and setup yahoo mail in addition to setting up an account for AT&T mobile email.  I was surprised to find out that I cannot copy and past from an incoming message if I want to use that text in part of a reply.  I don't care which email provider I use, I want to be able to edit the incoming message; including being able to detach attached files.  (Note that I can detach files in YAHOO; not the AT&T mobile email interface for yahoo but int he native yahoo mobile interface, but I cannot copy and paste from the text inthe bidy of the message.)

Also, if there are URLs in the incoming message, I rarely can open those links, anyone know why?

Thanks. 

Also, n
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Dec 4, 2008 11:08:25 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by w760a on Dec 4, 2008 at 11:11:29 AM
Thanks...

I looked at Morange and it requires that you sign up on their website where you upload your contacts...just like google or yahoo.  The major difference is that GMAIL and yahoo are free for the limited attachements (google lets you read word; yahoo text and jpegs) while Morange provides no attachement support and only the first 2K of each message for their free account...they do not describe what attachments they support for their fee based account .

Yahoo classic, not the new fancy version of their mobile client...just access it through a browser and set you settings to classic interface...  lets you copy and paste and download attachments.  Eventhough you may not be able to view the attachments you can still get them. 

I found java applications out there from Zesium (apparently out of business now) that could read word/excel (mobiledoc) and PDFs (mobilepdf) but I could not get them to work for me.  Apparently somebody took a download of their demo version and tweaked it to work for 10 years instead of 30 days and apparently it is cell phone specific.  No joy...

Since I don't need active sync and I don't care which email provide I use, I think I am gonna go with yahoo (classic) and just let the AT&T Mobile email application to notify me when I get an email into my Yahoo account. 

Message Edited by w760a on 12-04-2008 02:11:29 PM
Accepted Solution

email on 760a

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2008 4:59:52 AM
(0)
Scholar
You expect de-branded features on a branded phone?  I think you would be a lot happier with S/E mail tool.  Note that if you de-brand, you WILL lose the "Mobile Email" tool and you may void any AT&T warranty.  This same cure may very well help your GPS issue.  Since I have not seen a 760, I cannot say for sure.
You expect de-branded features on a branded phone?  I think you would be a lot happier with S/E mail tool.  Note that if you de-brand, you WILL lose the "Mobile Email" tool and you may void any AT&T warranty.  This same cure may very well help your GPS issue.  Since I have not seen a 760, I cannot say for sure.

Re: email on 760a

2 of 7 (3,805 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2008 1:28:30 PM
(0)
Mentor
Does the SE email tool allow for copy and paste?  Does it also open web pages from URLs?  Finally is it available as a download somewhere without debranding?

Thanks
Does the SE email tool allow for copy and paste?  Does it also open web pages from URLs?  Finally is it available as a download somewhere without debranding?

Thanks

3 of 7 (3,783 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2008 7:05:40 PM
(0)
Scholar

w760a wrote:

Thanks

Understand your mileage may vary because there could be differences with vintage of the software.  These observations are from W610i firmware R8BA024 as applied to K550i phone.
1.  Copy and paste:  Yes
2.  Open URL:  Yes
3.  D/L mail tool:  Highly doubtful.

Also, following a link means using built in browser.  Yes it works.  S/E mail tool all by itself is worth the de-brand.  In fact, it is the single item that has me locked in on S/E phones and AT&T service. 

w760a wrote:

Thanks

Understand your mileage may vary because there could be differences with vintage of the software.  These observations are from W610i firmware R8BA024 as applied to K550i phone.
1.  Copy and paste:  Yes
2.  Open URL:  Yes
3.  D/L mail tool:  Highly doubtful.

Also, following a link means using built in browser.  Yes it works.  S/E mail tool all by itself is worth the de-brand.  In fact, it is the single item that has me locked in on S/E phones and AT&T service. 

4 of 7 (3,767 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 3, 2008 7:15:07 AM
(0)
Mentor
Thanks for the infor on the SE mail application.  Does the SE mail applicaton have an awareness of the phonebook -- in other words, can you use the phonebook entries to populate email addresses.  This is available on the text messaging but not in the AT&T mobile mail application so it seems silly that you have to maintain email addresses in one place and phone numbers in another.
Thanks for the infor on the SE mail application.  Does the SE mail applicaton have an awareness of the phonebook -- in other words, can you use the phonebook entries to populate email addresses.  This is available on the text messaging but not in the AT&T mobile mail application so it seems silly that you have to maintain email addresses in one place and phone numbers in another.

5 of 7 (3,727 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 3, 2008 8:11:56 AM
(0)
Scholar

w760a wrote:
Does the SE mail applicaton have an awareness of the phonebook -- in other words, can you use the phonebook entries to populate email addresses?

Yes.  Upon composing a message, you can enter an address or you can "contacts lookup" in your phone book or you can select from list it keeps of addresses you have recently used.  Gmail java applet is a fine thing but doesn't use your addresses.  I have seen Morange use your addresses but this tool is top drawer.  Also go look into "imap idle" if I have not convinced you yet.

w760a wrote:
Does the SE mail applicaton have an awareness of the phonebook -- in other words, can you use the phonebook entries to populate email addresses?

Yes.  Upon composing a message, you can enter an address or you can "contacts lookup" in your phone book or you can select from list it keeps of addresses you have recently used.  Gmail java applet is a fine thing but doesn't use your addresses.  I have seen Morange use your addresses but this tool is top drawer.  Also go look into "imap idle" if I have not convinced you yet.

6 of 7 (3,721 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Dec 4, 2008 11:08:25 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by w760a on Dec 4, 2008 at 11:11:29 AM
Thanks...

I looked at Morange and it requires that you sign up on their website where you upload your contacts...just like google or yahoo.  The major difference is that GMAIL and yahoo are free for the limited attachements (google lets you read word; yahoo text and jpegs) while Morange provides no attachement support and only the first 2K of each message for their free account...they do not describe what attachments they support for their fee based account .

Yahoo classic, not the new fancy version of their mobile client...just access it through a browser and set you settings to classic interface...  lets you copy and paste and download attachments.  Eventhough you may not be able to view the attachments you can still get them. 

I found java applications out there from Zesium (apparently out of business now) that could read word/excel (mobiledoc) and PDFs (mobilepdf) but I could not get them to work for me.  Apparently somebody took a download of their demo version and tweaked it to work for 10 years instead of 30 days and apparently it is cell phone specific.  No joy...

Since I don't need active sync and I don't care which email provide I use, I think I am gonna go with yahoo (classic) and just let the AT&T Mobile email application to notify me when I get an email into my Yahoo account. 

Thanks...

[ Edited ]
7 of 7 (3,661 Views)
Solution