Troubleshoot your device issues
jnmob2's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Friday, December 19th, 2008 5:59 AM

Closed

e71 conversion from Orange

Hello I just received an e71 because everyone seems to be raving about them.  Unfortunately, it aparently came from Orange.  The telephone part works great and I had AT&T change me in the store from my blackberry data plan to a "generic" data plan for the e71 but it doesn't seem to want to connect to the internet for browsing nor email setup.  Its says packet data connection not available.  I can force it onto my local wifi in my house or office but cant seem to access edge/3g, etc.

If anyone has any advice on converting this phone from Orange (other than this data issue) please let me know.  It makes calls wonderfully and it looks and feels amazing.

Thanks for the input!  -jn

Accepted Solution

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

15 years ago

You believe you have a European version of the E71, rather than the E71-2 (which is made for North American 3G frequencies)?  You should be able to look at the label under the battery to see the specific model information.

One way or the other, you should at least be able to access GPRS/Edge data on at&t's network, even without the hardware for at&t's 3G frequencies being in the phone.  Have you already had the GPRS settings sent to your phone via SMS from the Nokia website?  Or if the E71 has a "settings wizard" you can run that to obtain the appropriate settings for at&t's WAP/GPRS service directly from Nokia.  It may be helpful to also use the at&t support tutorial for GPRS settings for the E62 ( here ) to verify the accuracy of these settings.  Your menu will likely be a little different, but hopefully you can follow it well enough.  And if there are specific options you are unsure about, post here and someone can probably help you further.

Beyond all that - I would contact customer service tomorrow.  Since you were previously on a Blackberry data plan, it's possible the store personnel just didn't get something quite right in switching your account provisioning to MediaNet access.

If you truly have an E71 and not an E71-2 and you are able to, you may want to consider returning it and getting the North American model.  It would be too bad to have that phone and not be able to make use of at&t's 3G network.  😞 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.