For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
laubster's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Monday, February 22nd, 2016 7:06 PM

connectivity for meizu pro 5 ubuntu edition?

N00b here.  Am I reading things correctly that the meizu pro 5 ubuntu phone won't be able to utilize 4G LTE?  This version of the phone is freshly announced, so specs are hard to come by, but those for the flyme/android version released last year are below.

alibaba said:

Supports 4G(LTE) 3G(WCDMA) and 2G(GSM) networks
2G GSM:900/1800/1900MHz
3G WCDMA:850/900/1900/2100MH TD-SCDMA:B34/39
4G FDD-LTE:B1/3/7(1800/2100/2600MHz) TDD-LTE B38/39/40/41

gsmarena said something similar but slightly different:

GSM / HSPA / LTE
2G GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 - SIM 1 & SIM 2
3G HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100
      TD-SCDMA 1880 / 2010
4G LTE band 1(2100), 3(1800), 7(2600), 38(2600), 39(1900), 40(2300), 41(2500)
Speed HSPA, LTE Cat6 300/50 Mbps

I don't expect lack of 4G is a deal-breaker: I'm currently a flip phone user patiently waiting for a viable alternative to ios/android.  I recall hearing AT&T is desupporting GSM this year, but it looks like 3G coverage exists for this device.  The planned use of the phone will be telephony & text, and maybe occasional light web usage - no games, & not data intensive.

Any insight/thoughts most appreciated. 🙂

References:

https://insights.ubuntu.com/2016/02/22/meizu-pro-5-ubuntu-edition-available-for-pre-order-now/

http://www.meizu.com/en/products/pro5ubuntu/summary.html

http://neutab.en.alibaba.com/product/60350838291-800411231/4g_lte_smartphone_meizu_pro_5_lte_bands.html

http://www.gsmarena.com/meizu_pro_5-7573.php

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

8 years ago

ATT is decommissioning 2G this year, 3 G will still be available.  

This phone will only get 3G.  There are so many other phones out there that will get LTE speed, why would you settle for less?  $369 is steep for a phone you can't really use unless on wifi.

These are unlocked options 

Hauwei Honor 5x $200. 

Nexus 6p $500-650. (Buy direct from Google - I own one)

Nexus 6 $250.  ( Amazon or eBay - just sold one on eBay )

What do you mean by "viable alternative to iOS /Android?  

Windows is dying by degrees, BB has been struggling and is merging with android to survive.  

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

YES...Viable option to Android and iOS are desireable for a lot of customers. I love how the ATT rep answered that question as if you referenced flying pigs. An Ubuntu phone would be a huge deal. 4G LTE is more desireable and lack of would be a deal breaker for most.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

8 years ago

I don't work for ATT, this is a customer populated forum.  If you wank the alternate OS, putting a customer ROM on a Nexus phone would be functional.  The Ubunto phone won't work in the USA.  

http://www.cnet.com/products/ubuntu-touch/preview/

I found the phone reminds me of the Fire phone (speaking of flying pigs).  Ugly, clunky looking plastic phone with wide unattractive bezels.  The OS, on the other hand, has received praise.

The majority of the population use either android or iOS.  There is Dwindling pocket of dedicated Windows and BB being driven away from those platforms due to poor sales and lack of carrier support.  BB has actually adopted android OS to try and survive.

Without a stunning phone AND a fluid, intuitive OS, a new platform, is unlikely to take hold with the android, iOS crowd.   This means another orphan OS, with little funding and insufficient number of buyers to keep it going.  

Its VHS and Beta all over again.  Beta was much better.  But VHS was cheap, available and flooded the market.  With every home owning a VHS player, Beta didn't have a chance and died out.  

The difference is a Beta cartridge couldn't run in a VHS machine.  Ubuntu OS can.

I suggest you pick up a Nexus, like the 6p, which is stunning and works on all US carriers, and flash the custom OS.  Then you have the best of both worlds and might gain some fans of the OS if you show it around.  But don't expect the phone itself to catch on, or ever work in the US.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

8 years ago

You do realize that Android is Linux at its heart.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

8 years ago

The CNET review sure looks like an android system with different launcher to me.  

The phone is one ugly piece of work.  

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

Its the Unity interface that Im looking for. Andriod OS isnt bad, but the Unity interface is way more intuitive than other OS (PC and phone).

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

Yeah not sure why anyone would want to run a marginally supported OS on a phone. Unity is nothing but an extension of GNOME and can't imagine that on a small screen.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

It works really well. I installed it a few years ago on an old phone and
basically jist used it as a little tablet.

Apparently it's hard for people to understand that some of us want other
options (which should be obvious by the fact that this thread got started),
but I HATE MOST ANDROID INTERFACES. Asus Zenfone 2 did a good job of adding
thier GUI OVERLAY. Dont lose sleep wondering I want a Unity interface....I
just do.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

8 years ago

@cthomas

We are all for the interesting discussions.  I prefer them to 100 requests per day on how to unlock phones or when the software upgrade will be released.  (Insert eye roll)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.