For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
alan9's profile

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

Monday, February 16th, 2009 5:59 AM

Closed

can I buy plan-only online to work with unlocked Nokia N85?

Hi, I am currently with another company. After painstaking research (phone elimination/survivor), I settled on and bought an unlocked Nokia N85 from Amazon. The 3G in this phone only works with AT&T, so I am going to switch over. Win for AT&T.

I selected my plan and features on theAT&T online shopping site. But there seems to be no way to checkout without purchasing a phone. I have checked the shopping FAQ and I'm stumped.

Help? Do I need to order by phone? AT&T wouldn't turn down a new $75/month account, would they?

Accepted Solution

Expert

• 

2.5K Messages

15 years ago

If you go into the store with your own phone, you should be able to sign up without the 2 year contract, but you definitely want to find a corporate owned store, and you have to mention that you don't want to do the contract since you aren't getting a subsidized phone...

As far as ordering online, the SIM card is not locked to the free phone, so if you decide to go that route, then when you receive the phone and service, just pop the sim card into the phone you want to use.  You "might" have to use the phone you ordered first, just as an initialization process, but then after that you can use the phone you want.

Expert

• 

2.5K Messages

15 years ago

If you have your own phone, then you would need to go into an AT&T store, you can't activate service online without actually purchasing a phone.   Why not just take one of the "free" phones, and keep it as a spare?

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

15 years ago

Thanks Athena. I do have a very nice spare (my just demoted Nokia E70) but you make a great point.

If I buy plan/service-only at a store, I still must agree to a 2-year contract, right?

If I buy online, AT&T will ship a phone and SIM card. Would the SIM card be somehow locked to the shipped free phone? Just checking.

Mentor

• 

51 Messages

15 years ago

I would suggest defiantly going to a store location to get your new service but I disagree with Athena I've had bad experience at my at a couple of the local corporate stores.  I went to a local authorized retailer and they where great.  So I personally think at least the authorized retailer I go to is much better then a corporte store.  But I'm sure every store is different.

Expert

• 

13K Messages

15 years ago

@supert1020 wrote:
      I would suggest defiantly going to a store location to get your new service but I disagree with Athena I've had bad experience at my at a couple of the local corporate stores.  I went to a local authorized retailer and they where great.  So I personally think at least the authorized retailer I go to is much better then a corporte store.  But I'm sure every store is different.

But with the suggestion as made by Athena, she is referring to a corporate store so as with the OP's own phone service can be started with ATTM and not have to sign a 2 year contract to have service. this can not be done at any other location than that there of a corporate store location.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.