Wireless Forums

Posted Nov 22, 2008
9:26:47 AM
View profile
Windows Mobile Internet Sharing coverage?
Hi.

I'm an really confused now, because of random other opinions I've seen while searching.

So here's my question: If I have a MediaNET data plan on my Windows Mobile phone (8525), and I plug it into my computer, and enable Internet Sharing, will I be charged extra for having my computer plugged in? Or will my data plan cover it?

Thanks.
Hi.

I'm an really confused now, because of random other opinions I've seen while searching.

So here's my question: If I have a MediaNET data plan on my Windows Mobile phone (8525), and I plug it into my computer, and enable Internet Sharing, will I be charged extra for having my computer plugged in? Or will my data plan cover it?

Thanks.
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Nov 22, 2008 10:12:43 AM
(0)
Master
If you don't have a PDA data plan that includes tethering, you will be charged an additional $0.01/kb of data transferred.  Internet sharing uses the isp.cingular APN, which is not provisioned on the MediaNet or PDA personal plans and you will be charged accordingly.  Been there, done that.  :smileywink:
If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it.
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.
Accepted Solution

Windows Mobile Internet Sharing coverage?

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Nov 22, 2008 10:12:43 AM
(0)
Master
If you don't have a PDA data plan that includes tethering, you will be charged an additional $0.01/kb of data transferred.  Internet sharing uses the isp.cingular APN, which is not provisioned on the MediaNet or PDA personal plans and you will be charged accordingly.  Been there, done that.  :smileywink:
If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it.
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.

Re: Windows Mobile Internet Sharing coverage?

2 of 7 (4,017 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 22, 2008 10:22:23 AM
(0)
Tutor
That's lame.

What stops me from just writing a program for my phone that connects to MediaNET and then relays to my computer?
That's lame.

What stops me from just writing a program for my phone that connects to MediaNET and then relays to my computer?

3 of 7 (4,013 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 22, 2008 10:27:35 AM
(0)
Guru
Perhaps the terms of service agreement that you signed?
Perhaps the terms of service agreement that you signed?

4 of 7 (4,011 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 22, 2008 10:29:27 AM
(0)
Tutor
*sigh* thats true.

*sigh* thats true.

5 of 7 (4,009 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 22, 2008 2:19:42 PM
(0)
Guru
And, on top of that, you are already on the wrong data plan.  Your "MediaNet" plan is for non-PDA type devices.  You, as a PDA user, SHOULD be on the PDA personal plan (currently $30/mo).  You, like so many others, "slipped through the cracks" when you upgraded to your 8525.  While not "right", you may go indefinitely without AT&T discovering their error.  If you suddenly started pumping massive amounts of data through the phone by tethering, it would PROBABLY raise some flags and get you a serious monetary adjustment to your bill....
And, on top of that, you are already on the wrong data plan.  Your "MediaNet" plan is for non-PDA type devices.  You, as a PDA user, SHOULD be on the PDA personal plan (currently $30/mo).  You, like so many others, "slipped through the cracks" when you upgraded to your 8525.  While not "right", you may go indefinitely without AT&T discovering their error.  If you suddenly started pumping massive amounts of data through the phone by tethering, it would PROBABLY raise some flags and get you a serious monetary adjustment to your bill....

6 of 7 (3,984 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 22, 2008 2:23:17 PM
(0)
Tutor
Thats the plan I meant, I just forgot what it was called.
Thats the plan I meant, I just forgot what it was called.

7 of 7 (3,982 Views)