For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
docsho's profile

Teacher

• 

25 Messages

Monday, May 19th, 2014 1:29 PM

Will ATT automatically add data plan to unlocked smartphone

I have a unlocked smartphone I bought from Ebay and I was wondering if ATT will automatically add a data plan for this phone. Is there anyway to use this phone on the ATT network without a data plan. If ATT forces me to add a data plan then I might as well get a new phone under contract as I am eligible for upgrade.

Master

• 

7.1K Messages

10 years ago

@docsho wrote:

I have a unlocked smartphone I bought from Ebay and I was wondering if ATT will automatically add a data plan for this phone. Is there anyway to use this phone on the ATT network without a data plan. If ATT forces me to add a data plan then I might as well get a new phone under contract as I am eligible for upgrade.

If you have a smartphone, you have to have a data plan and they will add one for you.  The problem with that is it may not meet your needs.

ACE - Expert

• 

6.6K Messages

10 years ago

@docsho wrote:

If it's an AT&T branded phone they'll detect it and add a data plan pretty quickly. If it's not an AT&T branded phone and you turn the data access off in the phone it may take them a while to detect it, but you'd be breaking some T&C of AT&T service.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.