Troubleshoot your device issues
joebednarz's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, July 8th, 2009 1:43 PM

WiFi question

I'm new to the E71x (in fact it still hasn't been delivered to me yet) but was wondering something.  The saleswoman at the AT&T kiosk in the mall said the E71x is a great phone (which I agree) and it can even function as a wireless access point for others to connect to the internet...I've done some searching for "access point" and "E71x" and haven't found anything supporting this claim.

Has anyone else heard this before; does this really work?  And if so, how?

Not a deal-breaker for me as to getting the phone, just a curious question... 

Accepted Solution

Scholar

• 

163 Messages

15 years ago

I think, her terminology was incorrect.

E71x can act as a modem, for pc internet connection. i.e tethering. 

Wireless accesspoint, i dont think so. 

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

15 years ago

Suspected as such... so tethering is not a problem with the E71x... cool.

Thanks for the reply. 

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

15 years ago

@joebednarz wrote:

Suspected as such... so tethering is not a problem with the E71x... cool.

Thanks for the reply. 

Tethering requires one of the data plans specifically designated for tethered usage (not the basic smartphone/PDA unlimited data plan) - otherwise you could put yourself in the position of being charged at at&t's pay per use rate ($0.01 per kB) for tethered usage on their data network. 😞
Message Edited by hme83 on 07-13-2009 01:13:25 PM

Scholar

• 

332 Messages

15 years ago

Yes, it can...there is a free application in Ovi Store '"Joiku Spot Light" . This app converts your phone in a hotspot...You can open your laptop and will list your phone as an available free wifi connection,and will connect you to the internet using Medianet access. Also,other laptops around you can connect as well...I tried that in my Nokia N81 and it worked. That phone was not 3G,so it connected at EDGE speeds.

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

14 years ago

If I download that software do I still need a tethering plan? Does it make a difference if I am "tethering wireless it USB cable?

Thanks

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

14 years ago

I meant does it make a difference if I am tethering with and without the USB cable as far as charges are concerned?

Scholar

• 

332 Messages

14 years ago

You dont need a tethering plan, ATT cannot tell what this application does...as far as I experienced...Bear in mind that I allways used this app with unbranded/unlocked phones that ATT cannot recognize.
Message Edited by pablocrego on 12-09-2009 04:37:06 AM

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

14 years ago

Thanks.

I wonder if it makes a difference because mine is not unlocked.

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

14 years ago

Re: tethering - whether they can recognize the device you are using or not isn't relevant.  Per at&t's terms of service tethering is not allowed without one of the specific data plans that allows for tethering regardless of the type of phone you are using.  Whether they will catch it and charge the pay per use rate, noone can say; but you do open yourself up to that risk.  It doesn't matter whether you tether your laptop to the phone via USB, bluetooth, or WiFi - if the internet connection itself is over at&t's data network (3G/Edge/GPRS) then the terms are the same.
Message Edited by hme83 on 12-12-2009 09:11:38 AM
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.