Troubleshoot your device issues
OM1975's profile

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

Saturday, November 18th, 2017 4:34 AM

Why won't att let me activate my sim card?

I have been an ATT customer for well over 10 years.  For many years now I have been having sim card issues.  I keep getting new sim cards and have even bought new phones from different manufacturers.  Still have the same issues.  Sim cards work off and on.  Why does ATT still used outdated tech like sim cards, ... Oh yea so they can lock their customers to NO CHOICES.  By the way I am a former employee, and that is another story in itself.  Meanwhile, I am just trying to use phone service that I pay for yet I NEVER get.  I can't even call 611 to call them on my ATT phone.  Honestly I think this is because of an employee who has issues with me and is covering their tracks.  I ignore all of that and still pay my bill and still give the benefit of the doubt, even though this corporation makes ALL employees and customers doubt.    I just want to use the service that I AM paying for.  I can not use my service because NO ONE HAS DONE THEIR JOB BY ACTUALLY ACTIVATING MY SIM CARD!  No body has looked into ANY of the many reasons why this keeps happening.  I AM sitting on much evidence of illegal activity coming from ATT employees, yet I have still just tried to use my service and still pay for it.  I AM DOCUMENTING EVERYTHING. I honestly don't care if ATT and the NSA walk hand in hand.  I am still a customer who pays my bill to use service that I do NOT get.  The FCC and the FCC care not to help.  Whenever I call ATT, I end up playing the ATT shuffle.  Most customers know the ATT shuffle... Where you spend long time on the phone waiting only to be connected to another wrong department and having to explain yourself over and over again.  Most give up, however I NEVER will back down.  It IS MY MONEY, and I AM a customer, who KNOWS MUCH of ATT systems.  I KNOW when techs and reps lie or not.  Most of them are mistrained and have no clue what they speak of.  Nothing against them, it basically falls on the upper execs for teaching them to act this way and keep letting it carry on.  Karma and C.A.R.M.A. will eventually catch up with that.   In the meantime, I still want my SIM card to work and still try to get help.  Tried going to a store, but the manager was completely rude and refused to do his job.  I was sent a new SIM card and told that I could activate it online.  When I tried to activate it online, it said that I could not and to call, between the hours of 7am - 1am.  I called and they said the hours were 8-5.  So basically ATT practices fraud and incompetence in every respect of this company.  Nobody is on the same page and when you try to remain loyal they treat you worse.  Why is the so called Loyalty department the same department as Disconnection?  That has to tell you what the company thinks of it's loyal customers.  It does NOT care for them at all. Still hoping for help with my situation, even though I could fix it all myself, however I do not work for the company and I DO follow the law, so I REFUSE to fix it myself.  That is ATT's job as I AM the Paying customer who IS paying for service NOT rendered.  Perhaps ATT, wants a massive C.A.L.S.?   A multi million dollar corporation probably cares less about that, so there are other means.  Some new websites will be put up soon to help all Loyal ATT customers, since ATT refuses to do their job by American law.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

6 years ago

Are you using prepaid?  

Not that I disagree with some of that, but SIM cards?   Name a carrier that doesn’t use them?   

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

6 years ago

Not all companies use them.  I have 4 phones from 4 different companies and ONLY ATT has a SIM card.  It is Not pre paid. SIM cards are a company tactic to keep you with them somewhat.  That is why I have an unlocked phone and can swap out cards if need be, but so far ATT is the only company that I have dealt with that has SIm cards.  They are very outdated for a so called communication company.  After all most of their company is Not on the same page.  This is 2017 isn't it?  So why so outdated with billing practices and tech?

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

6 years ago

It is far easier to name 1 company that does use them, after all which company are we talking about?  Oh yea we ARE in the ATT forum.  Do you work for the company?  Just curious, because your round about questions sound like it.  By the way no offense meant.  Just saying.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

6 years ago

Reps and employees are clearly identified.  Did I sugar coat or suck up?  No. I don’t work for ATT.

You can’t name a carrier that doesn’t use SIM cards , as there are none.  (Who’s round about with answers?).   You can’t name the 4 carriers that you don’t need SIM cards for?   

I can switch to another carrier in a few minutes by swapping SIM cards.  

A few minutes on A site like GSM or phone arena and every phone tells you what SIM card size it uses.  So let’s not say ATT is the only one.  They aren’t even one of the few.  

E sims are becoming more common.  Smart watches, the new iPad, the new Pixel 2 Have e-sims.   

E-sims will free up a little more real estate inside phones and it will be easier to change carriers without showing up in a store or having it mailed.  

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

If you have 4 phones that don’t use SIM cards, they must be old CDMA phones. Every GSM and LTE carrier in the world use SIM cards. That is how the technology works. CDMA is the technology that is dying. You must have terrible luck. I’ve been a wireless customer for about 15 years now with 4 lines and have never had a problem with a SIM card or getting new ones activated.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

6 years ago

@sandblaster  Wanna bet he’s using a cheap Chinese phone and that’s the problem?

(but he used to be an employee... 🙄)

• 

25.7K Messages

6 years ago

Let's see, companies that use sim cards... At&t, Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint, strait talk, Google fiber, boost Mobile, nuwave, simple talk, us cellular, Virgin Mobile and basically anybody who has lte. You say it's outdated, but the only way to have a phone without a sim is a 3g or older cdma phone. If it doesn't have a sim it's using much slower data and is very dated 

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

6 years ago

Funny how many of you state things that are not what you say.  I DO have 4 different phones from 4 Different manufacturers AND 4 different providers.  None of them except my ATT phone has a removable SIM card.  Yes, there are different services to which some are old.  Regarding smart phones, where do you actually see a removable SIM card? Perhaps they are in devices that I have never used or heard of, but I have asked around and even looked and have found none.  Older phones DO use SIM cards, I have yet to see any newer ones with a removable one. Also they are usually not found on prepaid phones. So unless they are actually built into the phone themselves, they are not there.  Perhaps it is a misunderstanding of explanation?  I should have mentioned a removable SIM card, which by the way that tech is very outdated and old. Do you know about unlock codes and such? Just wondering, because SIM cards DO lock your phone to a specific carrier/service.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

6 years ago

LOL  You should hear some of the phone calls and chat that has been had with ATT employees, as far as clearly identified.  I am glad to hear that you personally have no issues, but there are many who are not as lucky as you.  I should have been more clear in my original post of a removable SIM card.  Not all companies or phones use them.  My original post had to do with a company that uses outdated things that they refuse to update or keep current.  Nobody is on the same page or training for that matter.  Instead of getting ANY solutions or ideas, all I see posted is pointing fingers and questions to things that have nothing to do with what was mentioned.  For example, what is the purpose of naming 4 companies when we ARE in an ATT forum and I was ONLY speaking of ATT.  Once again, this is probably due to miscommunication and/or understanding.  I should have been more clear and perhaps proof read what I wrote originally.  It still does Not give ANY reason why ATT fails to do anything about their outdated tech over and over.  It has been years now with the same SIM card issue on more than one phone.  I am Not here talking about ANY competitor, as I don't have ANY SIM issues with them.  Just saying.  I think Americans need to stop attacking each other and discuss without blaming or pointing fingers with no facts to back them up.  By the way, NONE of this is pointed at you.  I am simply stating things to all of the responses here in this 1 post.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

6 years ago

Not removable SIM cards.   It has more to do with things other than luck by the way.  What I originally posted was round about and not so detailed, because that is not the main issue.  The removable SIM card IS the issue.  By the way the CDMA phone is the only phone with the issue, hence why it is outdated tech.  All my other phones do not have any of these issues OR any removable SIM card.  I do know that there are international SIM cards, however any phone that I have looked at seem to not accept removable SIM.  I have spoke with some manufacturers and carriers about removable SIM and I get different answers to the same question. It seems as though nobody is on the same page with this.  It is more a trial and error for some.  This is why I go to store models and open the backside to see, as most employees have no clue.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.