Troubleshoot your device issues
jonrod's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Wednesday, June 21st, 2017 9:58 PM

Why did Asurion send me a refurbished phone

Everyone in my family has insurance on their phone and every time one of our devices breaks we have received a new replacement. However this time I filed a claim and received a refurbished phone. I didn't buy a refurbished phone why would they send these?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

7 years ago

The agreement with Asurion is a certified refurbished phone, never a new phone.  (Didn't read the brochure).  If the phone is in poor shape complain to Asurion.  

https://www.att.com/offers/device-protection.html

IMG_6026.PNG

1 Attachment

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@jonrod wrote:
Everyone in my family has insurance on their phone and every time one of our devices breaks we have received a new replacement. However this time I filed a claim and received a refurbished phone. I didn't buy a refurbished phone why would they send these?

That's their policy if they have them. You must have gotten lucky previously.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

Can't be for every situation! My son received a brand new LG v20 in the
original box and packaging. Before this claim of mine, I received a brand
new HTC one a9 in original packaging. Before that, my wife received a
brand new HTC one m8. So is this something new? If so when did it start?
How do they decide who gets new and who gets used?
I've had insurance with Asurion for years and this is the first
refurbished phone I've received!

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

Can't be for every situation! My son received a brand new LG v20 in the
original box and packaging. Before this claim of mine, I received a brand
new HTC one a9 in original packaging. Before that, my wife received a
brand new HTC one m8. So is this something new? If so when did it start?
How do they decide who gets new and who gets used?
I've had insurance with Asurion for years and this is the first
refurbished phone I've received!

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

I guess we got lucky 4 times previously between myself my wife and my son!
Hopefully this refurb doesn't "develop" any issues!

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@jonrod wrote:
I guess we got lucky 4 times previously between myself my wife and my son!
Hopefully this refurb doesn't "develop" any issues!

You hit the jackpot! They might have just not had a comparable refurb in stock at the time.

But realistically, I usually see people complaining about the refurbs.

You got 4 new ones and you've never been to the forums before, so maybe that's some info we didn't have before.

It's really hard to base answers on info just on people with problems, I wish we had more positive feedback of encounters.

@lizdance40 It'd sure be nice to know if for every refurb there were 4 non-refubs supplied. Makes me wonder how many successful switcher and BOGO deals we never hear of...

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

can someone please post a screenshot pic of the part of the asurion phone warranty clause that they are going to send me a refurbished phone...  coz my first claim 2 and1/2 years ago for a galaxy S4.. they sent me a brand new galaxy S4.. my wife claimed 1 year ago for her lost  iphone 6 plus and they sent her a brand new iphone 6 plus/.  that is why i am very disappointed that I got a freaking refurbished note 4 and the battery was not even a sealed retail packaging.. so there is no telling if this is even brand new or class A replacement one.. and the screen protective plastic was wrinkled, half peeled and a bit dusty... and the accessoris is not even complete and a cheap looking shipping box that also served as the phone box itself.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

6 years ago

@bluepuz

Asurion is not warranty, it’s  insurance. Screen shot and link are included in post 2

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

the weird thing is.... their clause on their terms itself is contradicting....

here it is...

"Claims may be fulfilled with new, or AT&T Certified Restored equipment of the SAME or other models of like kind and quality."

that means the phone I bought from them is Brand new.... 

THEN I should get a brand new one not a unsealed refurbished one... 

just realized that after doing the math.. in totality of my 30 months of phone insurance payments plus claim deductible....

They just made me pay a total of $412 for a freaking phone that I could get online brand new for $130.... so disappointing.

Is there an option of just returning this phone back to them and get my $112 back and buy myself a brand new phone of a later model?

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

@bluepuz wrote:

the weird thing is.... their clause on their terms itself is contradicting....

here it is...

"Claims may be fulfilled with new, or AT&T Certified Restored equipment of the SAME or other models of like kind and quality."

that means the phone I bought from them is Brand new.... 

THEN I should get a brand new one not a unsealed refurbished one... 

just realized that after doing the math.. in totality of my 30 months of phone insurance payments plus claim deductible....

They just made me pay a total of $412 for a freaking phone that I could get online brand new for $130.... so disappointing.

Is there an option of just returning this phone back to them and get my $112 back and buy myself a brand new phone of a later model?

no that gives them an out if they didnt have a note 4 they could have sent you a note 5....  I swear people dont read anymore.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.