Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Why did Asurion send me a refurbished phone

Tutor

Why did Asurion send me a refurbished phone

Everyone in my family has insurance on their phone and every time one of our devices breaks we have received a new replacement. However this time I filed a claim and received a refurbished phone. I didn't buy a refurbished phone why would they send these?
Message 1 of 37
ACE - Sage

Re: Why did Asurion send me a refurbished phone

The agreement with Asurion is a certified refurbished phone, never a new phone.  (Didn't read the brochure).  If the phone is in poor shape complain to Asurion.  

https://www.att.com/offers/device-protection.html

IMG_6026.PNG

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 37
ACE - Expert

@jonrod wrote:
Everyone in my family has insurance on their phone and every time one of our devices breaks we have received a new replacement. However this time I filed a claim and received a refurbished phone. I didn't buy a refurbished phone why would they send these?

That's their policy if they have them. You must have gotten lucky previously.

• Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 37
Tutor

Can't be for every situation! My son received a brand new LG v20 in the
original box and packaging. Before this claim of mine, I received a brand
new HTC one a9 in original packaging. Before that, my wife received a
brand new HTC one m8. So is this something new? If so when did it start?
How do they decide who gets new and who gets used?
I've had insurance with Asurion for years and this is the first
refurbished phone I've received!
Message 4 of 37
Tutor

Can't be for every situation! My son received a brand new LG v20 in the
original box and packaging. Before this claim of mine, I received a brand
new HTC one a9 in original packaging. Before that, my wife received a
brand new HTC one m8. So is this something new? If so when did it start?
How do they decide who gets new and who gets used?
I've had insurance with Asurion for years and this is the first
refurbished phone I've received!
Message 5 of 37
Tutor

I guess we got lucky 4 times previously between myself my wife and my son!
Hopefully this refurb doesn't "develop" any issues!
Message 6 of 37
ACE - Expert

@jonrod wrote:
I guess we got lucky 4 times previously between myself my wife and my son!
Hopefully this refurb doesn't "develop" any issues!

You hit the jackpot! They might have just not had a comparable refurb in stock at the time.

But realistically, I usually see people complaining about the refurbs.

You got 4 new ones and you've never been to the forums before, so maybe that's some info we didn't have before.

It's really hard to base answers on info just on people with problems, I wish we had more positive feedback of encounters.

@lizdance40 It'd sure be nice to know if for every refurb there were 4 non-refubs supplied. Makes me wonder how many successful switcher and BOGO deals we never hear of...

• Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
Message 7 of 37
Tutor

can someone please post a screenshot pic of the part of the asurion phone warranty clause that they are going to send me a refurbished phone...  coz my first claim 2 and1/2 years ago for a galaxy S4.. they sent me a brand new galaxy S4.. my wife claimed 1 year ago for her lost  iphone 6 plus and they sent her a brand new iphone 6 plus/.  that is why i am very disappointed that I got a freaking refurbished note 4 and the battery was not even a sealed retail packaging.. so there is no telling if this is even brand new or class A replacement one.. and the screen protective plastic was wrinkled, half peeled and a bit dusty... and the accessoris is not even complete and a cheap looking shipping box that also served as the phone box itself.

Message 8 of 37
ACE - Sage

@bluepuz

Asurion is not warranty, it’s  insurance. Screen shot and link are included in post 2

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Message 9 of 37
Tutor

the weird thing is.... their clause on their terms itself is contradicting....

here it is...

"Claims may be fulfilled with new, or AT&T Certified Restored equipment of the SAME or other models of like kind and quality."

that means the phone I bought from them is Brand new.... 

THEN I should get a brand new one not a unsealed refurbished one... 

just realized that after doing the math.. in totality of my 30 months of phone insurance payments plus claim deductible....

They just made me pay a total of $412 for a freaking phone that I could get online brand new for $130.... so disappointing.

Is there an option of just returning this phone back to them and get my $112 back and buy myself a brand new phone of a later model?

Message 10 of 37
ACE - Expert

@bluepuz wrote:

the weird thing is.... their clause on their terms itself is contradicting....

here it is...

"Claims may be fulfilled with new, or AT&T Certified Restored equipment of the SAME or other models of like kind and quality."

just realized that after doing the math.. in totality of my 30 months of phone insurance payments plus claim deductible....

They just made me pay a total of $412 for a freaking phone that I could get online brand new for $130.... so disappointing.

Is there an option of just returning this phone back to them and get my $112 back and buy myself a brand new phone of a later model?

no that gives them an out if they didnt have a note 4 they could have sent you a note 5....  I swear people dont read anymore.

Message 11 of 37
ACE - Expert

@bluepuz wrote:

No, that's not what the sentence means.

"Claims may be fulfilled with new, or AT&T Certified Restored equipment of the SAME or other models of like kind and quality."

That parses to:

• "fulfilled with new equipment of the same or other models of like kind and quality."
    OR
  •  "AT&T Certified Restored equipment of the same or other models of like kind and quality."

Pretty much we can send you your model or better in a restored model (but if we can't get anything close, you might get a new one).

They MADE you? No one made you...

Message 12 of 37
Tutor

well you cannot file a claim without paying the deductible...

and you cannot have insurance if you dont pay the monthly premium.

and if I remember it right ...  the steps of claiming...  i didn't recall anything in there saying that I will be receiving a refurbished phone... coz if it was clearly stated.. I would have not proceeded with the claim .. knowing that I would be on the losing side... I might as well buy a new one.

"Pretty much we can send you your model or better in a restored model (but if we can't get anything close, you might get a new one".

I am pretty sure that if I didnt lose my phone... comparing it side by side to this phone that they gave me to my original phone... i bet my phone would be of more value...

Message 13 of 37
Tutor

just let me know if there is an option of just returning this phone or not... 

coz i certainly will....

Message 14 of 37
ACE - Expert

@bluepuz wrote:

just let me know if there is an option of just returning this phone or not... 

coz i certainly will....

@bluepuz

contact asurion and ask they have customer service for a reason.

Message 15 of 37
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support