Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jan 29, 2011
6:37:30 PM
Whats ATTs cost per phone/unit ea.@?
Edited by WirelessForeman on Jan 31, 2011 at 4:42:16 AM

I betcha the Inspire doesnt cost ATT more than $2-250. per unit. If it costs them $400.,theyre sellinit for $600 

Whatev. Itsa biz.

(Mod Note: Inappropriate comment edited.)

I betcha the Inspire doesnt cost ATT more than $2-250. per unit. If it costs them $400.,theyre sellinit for $600 

Whatev. Itsa biz.

(Mod Note: Inappropriate comment edited.)

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Feb 1, 2011 8:26:47 AM
(0)
Former Moderator

Thank you for your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and is now being closed. 

Accepted Solution

Whats ATTs cost per phone/unit ea.@?

[ Edited ]
20 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(20)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 29, 2011 10:58:44 PM
(0)
Employee

even if the phone were to cost $400 you also have to factor in advertising, labor, etc.

even if the phone were to cost $400 you also have to factor in advertising, labor, etc.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Whats ATTs cost per phone/unit ea.@?

2 of 21 (1,824 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 30, 2011 12:23:44 AM
(0)
Mentor

Tilt-A-Rama wrote:
I betcha the Inspire doesnt cost ATT more than $2-250. per unit. If it costs them $400.,theyre sellinit for $600 ferkrIstsakes! Whatev. Itsa biz.

often than not when I look at the unbranded versions of the same device from the manufacturer for sale they usually cost MORE than the unsubsidized price for the carrier version.

Tilt-A-Rama wrote:
I betcha the Inspire doesnt cost ATT more than $2-250. per unit. If it costs them $400.,theyre sellinit for $600 ferkrIstsakes! Whatev. Itsa biz.

often than not when I look at the unbranded versions of the same device from the manufacturer for sale they usually cost MORE than the unsubsidized price for the carrier version.

3 of 21 (1,811 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 30, 2011 1:14:44 AM
(0)
Scholar
Thats because the carrier will always be cheaper. The price needs to be appealing to the people the will pay full price.Theyll probably be activeating the phone with them despite the full price. The manufactuerer wont get paid for 2 years,month after month.
Thats because the carrier will always be cheaper. The price needs to be appealing to the people the will pay full price.Theyll probably be activeating the phone with them despite the full price. The manufactuerer wont get paid for 2 years,month after month.

4 of 21 (1,806 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 30, 2011 2:57:08 AM
(0)
Mentor

Just the fact that manufacturers charge more for unbranded versions shows that carriers don't always dictate the pricing of the devices.  Also some of those bloatware apps may reduce the price of the devices to carriers which offsets some of the money they pay.  Without actually knowing the agreements between manufacturers, and/or carriers we will never know.

Just the fact that manufacturers charge more for unbranded versions shows that carriers don't always dictate the pricing of the devices.  Also some of those bloatware apps may reduce the price of the devices to carriers which offsets some of the money they pay.  Without actually knowing the agreements between manufacturers, and/or carriers we will never know.

5 of 21 (1,801 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 30, 2011 3:02:02 AM
(0)
Scholar
Who dictates the price is not my question. Just wondering if anyone knows or might wanna guess how much HTC charges ATT for each Inspire?
Who dictates the price is not my question. Just wondering if anyone knows or might wanna guess how much HTC charges ATT for each Inspire?

6 of 21 (1,799 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 30, 2011 3:14:33 AM
(0)
Mentor

Tilt-A-Rama wrote:

No one will know without knowing the deal they have with each other.  Smiley Happy  So asking in this forum is kinda moot as no one who would know would ever visit a customer to customer board.  Mods won't know as they are probably not high enough on the food chain to know.

Tilt-A-Rama wrote:

No one will know without knowing the deal they have with each other.  Smiley Happy  So asking in this forum is kinda moot as no one who would know would ever visit a customer to customer board.  Mods won't know as they are probably not high enough on the food chain to know.

7 of 21 (1,791 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 30, 2011 3:19:35 AM
(0)
Scholar
Thisis true. But never say never. U never know whos listening/reading.
Thisis true. But never say never. U never know whos listening/reading.

8 of 21 (1,788 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 30, 2011 3:23:07 AM
(0)
Scholar
Oops! Mybad. The Atrix is goin for $600. The Inspire is goin for $500. w/ no contract. Thatll probably change.
Oops! Mybad. The Atrix is goin for $600. The Inspire is goin for $500. w/ no contract. Thatll probably change.

9 of 21 (1,786 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 30, 2011 5:10:57 AM
(0)
Expert

Att pays more then a dollar and less then a thousand for a no contract full price phone. doesnt; really matter what they pay for each unit, they are not a charity and pricing is set to make a profit on the purchase of a no contract phone. Contract phones are discounted greately becasue the profit margin comes from the required service contract being fullfilled or the etf + the used portion of the required service contract.

Att pays more then a dollar and less then a thousand for a no contract full price phone. doesnt; really matter what they pay for each unit, they are not a charity and pricing is set to make a profit on the purchase of a no contract phone. Contract phones are discounted greately becasue the profit margin comes from the required service contract being fullfilled or the etf + the used portion of the required service contract.

10 of 21 (1,777 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 30, 2011 8:16:33 PM
(0)
Scholar
We all know;
Its not a charity.
Profit comes from monthly payments.
They pay more than $1,& less than $1000.
That ETF makesup for whatev...
Would anyone care to make an educated guess as to what these phones cost them? Just curious...
We all know;
Its not a charity.
Profit comes from monthly payments.
They pay more than $1,& less than $1000.
That ETF makesup for whatev...
Would anyone care to make an educated guess as to what these phones cost them? Just curious...

11 of 21 (1,398 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 30, 2011 8:40:40 PM
(0)
Master

Nobody who knows is posting in here, and the wholesale price of phones is probably treated as company confidential information.  You're free to ask any question that doesn't violate the guidelines, but what are you hoping to accomplish here?  There's about ZERO chance that someone is going to wander in here and say, "Oh, the Inspire costs AT&T $279.42".  

Tilt-A-Rama wrote:

Nobody who knows is posting in here, and the wholesale price of phones is probably treated as company confidential information.  You're free to ask any question that doesn't violate the guidelines, but what are you hoping to accomplish here?  There's about ZERO chance that someone is going to wander in here and say, "Oh, the Inspire costs AT&T $279.42".  

Tilt-A-Rama wrote:

12 of 21 (1,392 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 30, 2011 8:53:51 PM
(0)
Scholar
Nuttindeep...just curious. I figured the higherups on the foodchain might see this somwhow & blablah. I thought we might inspire some sorta HTCleaks info typeofthing! Whatev. Just curious.
Nuttindeep...just curious. I figured the higherups on the foodchain might see this somwhow & blablah. I thought we might inspire some sorta HTCleaks info typeofthing! Whatev. Just curious.

13 of 21 (1,388 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 31, 2011 8:32:33 PM
(0)
Master

No, higher ups on the food chain will NOT see this and somehow "blahblah".  Anyone who leaked that kind of information would be subject to immediate termination, and potentially criminal and civil liability as well.  Do you understand the kind of non-disclosure agreements (NDAs) these people sign?  

And, for the record, the guy who leaked all the information to Wikileaks faces 52 YEARS in jail.

No, higher ups on the food chain will NOT see this and somehow "blahblah".  Anyone who leaked that kind of information would be subject to immediate termination, and potentially criminal and civil liability as well.  Do you understand the kind of non-disclosure agreements (NDAs) these people sign?  

And, for the record, the guy who leaked all the information to Wikileaks faces 52 YEARS in jail.

14 of 21 (1,352 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 31, 2011 9:46:54 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by Glomag on Feb 1, 2011 at 8:28:21 AM

Not once have u given your opinion on what u think they might cost. We really need u to explain to us about what employees sign. Youve got your acronyms down NDAs or whatev....But wadaya think they cost? Forget all the other shmutz.

Not once have u given your opinion on what u think they might cost. We really need u to explain to us about what employees sign. Youve got your acronyms down NDAs or whatev....But wadaya think they cost? Forget all the other shmutz.

[ Edited ]
15 of 21 (1,344 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Feb 1, 2011 4:34:57 AM
(0)
Expert
Edited by Glomag on Feb 1, 2011 at 8:28:57 AM

Tilt-A-Rama wrote:

I gave you my best guess that is probably pretty accurate. Other then that it is a moot point since no one will ever be able to tell you exactly and accuarately. The information is pretty much company confidential

Tilt-A-Rama wrote:

I gave you my best guess that is probably pretty accurate. Other then that it is a moot point since no one will ever be able to tell you exactly and accuarately. The information is pretty much company confidential

[ Edited ]
16 of 21 (1,331 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 1, 2011 4:40:44 AM
(0)
Scholar
Nevermind. Moot point. Well never know. Thend.

17 of 21 (1,328 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 1, 2011 4:43:43 AM
(0)
Expert

Tilt-A-Rama wrote:

right in one, do not know any company that pruchases product for resale and publishes the price they pay for it

Tilt-A-Rama wrote:

right in one, do not know any company that pruchases product for resale and publishes the price they pay for it

18 of 21 (1,326 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 1, 2011 4:48:14 AM
(0)
Scholar
I gotit. Confidential. Unpublished. Mootpoint. We'll never know. Thend!
I gotit. Confidential. Unpublished. Mootpoint. We'll never know. Thend!

19 of 21 (1,318 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 1, 2011 8:12:37 AM
(0)
Master
Edited by Glomag on Feb 1, 2011 at 8:29:33 AM

I agree with Wingrider's assessment.  We have no way of meaningfully estimating how much of a markup AT&T applies to the phones they purchase from the manufacturers.  An NDA is a non-disclosure agreement, and anyone who has worked at anything other than retail or foodservice has likely signed one.  You agree, as a condition of employment, not to enclose company confidential information, including but not limited to: intellectual property, company confidential information (like wholesale prices), or any client confidential information.

Tilt-A-Rama wrote:

I agree with Wingrider's assessment.  We have no way of meaningfully estimating how much of a markup AT&T applies to the phones they purchase from the manufacturers.  An NDA is a non-disclosure agreement, and anyone who has worked at anything other than retail or foodservice has likely signed one.  You agree, as a condition of employment, not to enclose company confidential information, including but not limited to: intellectual property, company confidential information (like wholesale prices), or any client confidential information.

Tilt-A-Rama wrote:

[ Edited ]
20 of 21 (1,286 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Feb 1, 2011 8:26:47 AM
(0)
Former Moderator

Thank you for your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and is now being closed. 

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

21 of 21 (1,063 Views)
Solution