Wireless Forums

Posted Nov 21, 2008
5:24:01 PM
View profile
What Are the Differences Between 3G and H Signals
  • Does anyone know the difference between 3G and ESignals? 
  • Does anyone know the difference between 3G and H Signals?
  • Is 3G the preferred signal? 
  • Can downloading/installing a particular application effect your signal (example, can intalling an app cause me to no longer gain a 3G reception but only E or H)?

• Does anyone know the difference between 3G and ESignals? 
  • Does anyone know the difference between 3G and H Signals?
  • Is 3G the preferred signal? 
  • Can downloading/installing a particular application effect your signal (example, can intalling an app cause me to no longer gain a 3G reception but only E or H)?

Me and My DELL Streak (TED-III)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Nov 22, 2008 8:34:55 AM
(0)
Guru
Edited by tilteduser on Nov 22, 2008 at 8:37:42 AM
HSDPA is supposed to have speeds of 400-700 kbps plus supposedly can utilize burst modes that may reach 1-2 mbps whereas 3G (AKA UTMS) is 220-320 kbps.  3G is the default setting and would have to be overridden as others have noted.  Each upgrade in network "type" represents an increase in speed by a factor of about 3.  That is, HSDPA = 3 x UTMS = 9 x Edge.  See http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/why/technology/gsm-gprs.jsp?wtSlotClick=1-00151R-0-1&WT.svl=calltoaction.  Edge is GSM and G is GPRS and both are explained in the link.

3G and H are the only connections where you can access the Internet at the same time as making a call on the device.  If on E or G then the Internet connection is usually dropped when a call comes in.  At the same time, since they carry more data 3G and H are more sensitive to signal strength or quality of signal. 

I do not recall anyone reporting software that would unintentionally switch the connection type although there is software to force the phone to a network type.  Read here if that is your desire or need:  http://forums.wireless.att.com/cng/board/message?board.id=cingular&message.id=104615&query.id=278305#M104615.  I do not know if this .cab will work on other models but I did install it on my Tilt although I do not have a need to use it.

Message Edited by tilteduser on 11-22-2008 08:37:42 AM
Accepted Solution

What Are the Differences Between 3G and H Signals

13 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(13)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 21, 2008 8:41:13 PM
(0)
Scholar
The difference between the three is the type of network you are being connected for Data with AT&T. E = You are connected to Edge 3G = You are connected to 3G network H = HSDPA which is a variant of 3G The major differences between all three is the download speed with HSDPA being the fastest followed by 3G and Edge. Depending on your location you might see all three and it depends on AT&T's signal in that particular area.
The difference between the three is the type of network you are being connected for Data with AT&T. E = You are connected to Edge 3G = You are connected to 3G network H = HSDPA which is a variant of 3G The major differences between all three is the download speed with HSDPA being the fastest followed by 3G and Edge. Depending on your location you might see all three and it depends on AT&T's signal in that particular area.

Re: What Are the Differences Between 3G and H Signals

2 of 14 (23,845 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Nov 22, 2008 8:34:55 AM
(0)
Guru
Edited by tilteduser on Nov 22, 2008 at 8:37:42 AM
HSDPA is supposed to have speeds of 400-700 kbps plus supposedly can utilize burst modes that may reach 1-2 mbps whereas 3G (AKA UTMS) is 220-320 kbps.  3G is the default setting and would have to be overridden as others have noted.  Each upgrade in network "type" represents an increase in speed by a factor of about 3.  That is, HSDPA = 3 x UTMS = 9 x Edge.  See http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/why/technology/gsm-gprs.jsp?wtSlotClick=1-00151R-0-1&WT.svl=callto....  Edge is GSM and G is GPRS and both are explained in the link.

3G and H are the only connections where you can access the Internet at the same time as making a call on the device.  If on E or G then the Internet connection is usually dropped when a call comes in.  At the same time, since they carry more data 3G and H are more sensitive to signal strength or quality of signal. 

I do not recall anyone reporting software that would unintentionally switch the connection type although there is software to force the phone to a network type.  Read here if that is your desire or need:  http://forums.wireless.att.com/cng/board/message?board.id=cingular&message.id=104615&query.id=278305....  I do not know if this .cab will work on other models but I did install it on my Tilt although I do not have a need to use it.

HSDPA is supposed to have speeds of 400-700 kbps plus supposedly can utilize burst modes that may reach 1-2 mbps whereas 3G (AKA UTMS) is 220-320 kbps.  3G is the default setting and would have to be overridden as others have noted.  Each upgrade in network "type" represents an increase in speed by a factor of about 3.  That is, HSDPA = 3 x UTMS = 9 x Edge.  See http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/why/technology/gsm-gprs.jsp?wtSlotClick=1-00151R-0-1&WT.svl=calltoaction.  Edge is GSM and G is GPRS and both are explained in the link.

I do not recall anyone reporting software that would unintentionally switch the connection type although there is software to force the phone to a network type.  Read here if that is your desire or need:  http://forums.wireless.att.com/cng/board/message?board.id=cingular&message.id=104615&query.id=278305#M104615.  I do not know if this .cab will work on other models but I did install it on my Tilt although I do not have a need to use it.

[ Edited ]
3 of 14 (23,758 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 22, 2008 9:44:39 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by RicoLX on Nov 22, 2008 at 9:47:54 AM
Thanks both hchavarria  and TiltEDUser
Both of your entries answered my question.  I was hoping to find an app that w ould force H speed at all times.I'm good and hope your entries will help others who may be concerned. 

I've tried to mark BOTH of your entries as the solving entry but onlly could only flag one of these with the solution link.  Sorry.

Rico

Message Edited by RicoLX on 11-22-2008 09:47:54 AM
Thanks both hchavarria  and TiltEDUser
Both of your entries answered my question.  I was hoping to find an app that w ould force H speed at all times.I'm good and hope your entries will help others who may be concerned. 

I've tried to mark BOTH of your entries as the solving entry but onlly could only flag one of these with the solution link.  Sorry.

Rico

Message Edited by RicoLX on 11-22-2008 09:47:54 AM

[ Edited ]
4 of 14 (23,739 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 29, 2008 5:44:36 PM
(0)
Mentor

so how do I know if I have HSDPA? I tried the dsl speed test and consistentl got ~1300, which seems really fast to me (opera and skyfire (and even IE sometimes) always load fast) so I would assume that I do, but I don't get the H symbol. I have a Tilt purchased new with Windows Mobile 6.1 already installed.

so how do I know if I have HSDPA? I tried the dsl speed test and consistentl got ~1300, which seems really fast to me (opera and skyfire (and even IE sometimes) always load fast) so I would assume that I do, but I don't get the H symbol. I have a Tilt purchased new with Windows Mobile 6.1 already installed.

5 of 14 (23,254 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 30, 2008 7:26:37 AM
(0)
Professor
hi GSK i am still running 6.0 on my Tilt. rolled back from 6.1.

You should see the H symbol where the 3G displays. you need to be in an area where the H signal is available.

also i installed KaiserTweak application so i could actually turn ON the H capability.
hi GSK i am still running 6.0 on my Tilt. rolled back from 6.1.

You should see the H symbol where the 3G displays. you need to be in an area where the H signal is available.

also i installed KaiserTweak application so i could actually turn ON the H capability.

6 of 14 (23,171 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 30, 2008 12:53:49 PM
(0)
Guru

GSK wrote:

If you have a device running WM 6.1, then you can go into the Windows directory and scroll down to "HSDPA" - (it takes a while to get there) - then tap it and a window will open allowing you to "check" if you want "H" displayed.

There are also .cabs for the "H" display on XDA forums.

GSK wrote:

If you have a device running WM 6.1, then you can go into the Windows directory and scroll down to "HSDPA" - (it takes a while to get there) - then tap it and a window will open allowing you to "check" if you want "H" displayed.

There are also .cabs for the "H" display on XDA forums.

7 of 14 (23,120 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 30, 2008 2:20:08 PM
(0)
Mentor
I've already done that; it's checked already. I was wondering, how do I know if I have it? I don't see "H" displayed, ever.
I've already done that; it's checked already. I was wondering, how do I know if I have it? I don't see "H" displayed, ever.

8 of 14 (23,098 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 30, 2008 3:32:02 PM
(0)
Guru

Do you get a "3G" symbol?

Where are you physically located?
There are many areas that have 3G that do not have HSDPA -

There is a map on Cingular (oop - AT&T Wireless) website that displays areas that have the high speed access.

Do you get a "3G" symbol?

Where are you physically located?
There are many areas that have 3G that do not have HSDPA -

There is a map on Cingular (oop - AT&T Wireless) website that displays areas that have the high speed access.

9 of 14 (23,082 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 31, 2008 8:19:10 AM
(0)
Explorer

I opened HSDPA in the windows directory and it provides instructions for setting HSDPA display.

They are to: in the HSDPA tab in settings-connections-advanced network ----- click on the display HSDPA box.

I have no such tab.

I opened HSDPA in the windows directory and it provides instructions for setting HSDPA display.

They are to: in the HSDPA tab in settings-connections-advanced network ----- click on the display HSDPA box.

I have no such tab.

10 of 14 (23,008 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 31, 2008 2:24:21 PM
(0)
Mentor
yes, I have 3G almost 100% of the time; I'm in the Ann Arbor, MI area, so I assume that I do have HSDPA (according to the map I should), I was just wondering why "H" doesn't show up on my display. It is checked and I use Windows Mobile 6.1 (no KaiserTweak)
yes, I have 3G almost 100% of the time; I'm in the Ann Arbor, MI area, so I assume that I do have HSDPA (according to the map I should), I was just wondering why "H" doesn't show up on my display. It is checked and I use Windows Mobile 6.1 (no KaiserTweak)

11 of 14 (12,858 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 11, 2009 2:14:39 AM
(0)
Voyager

pachis wrote:

I have no such tab.

I can't find this option. When I go to Settings - Connections - Advanced Network, I get a screen that says;

"Please select your GPRS authentication method. Changing these settings may cause your data communications to no longer operate. Please consult your service provider before altering these settings." Then under that I have PAP authentication or CHAP authentication to chose between.

I'm not seeing anything about HSDPA...?

pachis wrote:

I have no such tab.

I can't find this option. When I go to Settings - Connections - Advanced Network, I get a screen that says;

"Please select your GPRS authentication method. Changing these settings may cause your data communications to no longer operate. Please consult your service provider before altering these settings." Then under that I have PAP authentication or CHAP authentication to chose between.

12 of 14 (12,613 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 11, 2009 8:52:04 AM
(0)
Guru

MAMx21 wrote:

This is a system file located in the Windows directory requiring you to use File Explorer on the device with system files being shown.

MAMx21 wrote:

This is a system file located in the Windows directory requiring you to use File Explorer on the device with system files being shown.

13 of 14 (12,592 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 12, 2009 6:16:13 AM
(0)
Explorer

Please reread my previous post this thread. Could you help me find the 'tab' that was mentioned in the directions, but that I cannot find after opening the file?

Thanks,

Please reread my previous post this thread. Could you help me find the 'tab' that was mentioned in the directions, but that I cannot find after opening the file?

Thanks,

14 of 14 (12,560 Views)