For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
pinaklonkar's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Thursday, December 11th, 2008 6:18 PM

Closed

Using AT&T Tilt outside of USA after installing Modaco Nodata

Hello Folks,

In a nutshell - can we use the phone to make and receive calls outside of USA after installing Modaco Nodata utility?

So we now know that by installing Modaco Nodata or similar utilities, we can prevent the smart phone from automatically using AT&T EDGE/GPRS/3G when we are trying to use Wi-Fi. This will avoid surprise bills.

My question is - after installing and configuring the Modaco Nodata, will I be able to take my phone to a different country and use its quadband ability to make and receive calls? I am under the impression that we need 3G to use this phone in different countries? I think I am wrong. I definitely know that EDGE and GPRS aren't into picture here.

Thanks a lot!

Accepted Solution

Guru

• 

778 Messages

15 years ago

Your phone calling ability will be unaffected by the NoData program.  It ONLY disables the data portion of the connection.  With your unlocked phone, and foreign (local) service, you will be all set, and not have to worry about unexpected data connections and subsequent charges.

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

15 years ago

Modaco's NoData program only blocks data access.  Since voice calls do not utilize the data portion of the network, having NoData installed would have no impact on your ability to make or receive calls.

GPRS, EDGE, and 3G are not exclusively data networks.   They are cellular network standards that carry voice and data.

You will need a SIM card and service from a local cellular providor or you will be paying International roaming charges for all calls made on your Tilt.  This will require that the device be unlocked to use another carriers SIM card and service.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

15 years ago

I understand that I will need to first of all unlock AT&T device in order to avoid voice roaming charges in the first place. Once unlocked, I will need to buy a local service and use the phone. Good that you reconfirmed these points.

But do you think I should be all set to make and receive voice calls outside of USA (given that I unlock the device and buy a local service there) *after* I install Modaco Nodata?

Thanks a lot for your accurate response. Once I receive a response to above questions, I think this issue is resolved once and for all 🙂 Has anyone tried roaming around without a data plan and Modaco Nodata installed and successfully avoided data connections and used just wifi?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.