For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
Rafiki's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Friday, December 7th, 2018 9:49 AM

Unlocking Old Phone that is No Longer in Use

I want to unlock my old iPhone 6s plus that is out of contract but has not been used for about a year.  AT&T says it must be active (currently) for 6 months to be unlocked.  Surely they will allow a user to unlock an old device that is no longer being used.  What can I do to get this accomplished?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Guru

• 

321 Messages

5 years ago

The 6 month requirement is for new "Pre-paid" phones only.

Go here: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/#/

On the 2nd page when it asks for your phone number, check the box as a "Non-AT&T customer". (Because the phone isn't currently being used on a active account).

Then enter the IMEI of the phone.

It will continue on and ask other questions.

Be sure to respond to the email you receive.

Bill

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

Thank you! Problem solved.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

I have tried this and I never received an email. I went in to check the status and it says pending. I click where it said “didn’t receive email and i entered info again, only for it to say that it has been submitted. What do I do if I don’t receive an email?

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

Hi,

It says that the IMEI number doesn't match an AT&T device. What to do?

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

I followed the link and requested the unlock of a iPhone 6s. I did get a text message say they couldn't unlock the phone because it had an unpaid balance. Now what? Is there anyway around this problem?

1 Message

5 months ago

I was able to get ATT to unlock an old iPhone but it took talking to a bunch of people.  The phone was last used with ATT back in 2019, I bought it back then and put it on cricket for the last 4 years.  ATT locked phones work with cricket.  At first, the ATT chat guy told me that Cricket needed to unlock it, so I contacted Cricket, they told me that on their end it wasn't locked, so it must still be locked with ATT.  I went back to ATT and after 2 attempts with chat, they finally gave me a phone number 800-331-0500 where I was able to get someone from ATT that was able to track down the old ATT account from 2019 using the IMEI of the phone.  It took her about 20 minutes, but she found the account and was able to unlock it.  Quite a pain.  Lesson learned, be sure to get phones unlocked before moving to any other carrier, even Cricket.  Or just go with a carrier that doesn't lock like Verizon.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.