For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
s.pursifull's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Monday, January 23rd, 2012 9:43 PM

Unlocked w580i Issues accessing internet, please help.

I just received in the mail my new w580i to replace my 4 year old one.

The issue is I bought an unlocked (non-att) one. I can make phone calls and send plain texts just fine, but I cannot access the Internet or send SMS picture messages without setting it up further.

Does anyone know how to go about doing that? It looks like I need to set up my data account. Does anyone know how to do this? or where I can get the information so I can put it into the phone so that I can use these features on the phone? (preferably without having to go to the att store and have one of the sales people come up to me and tell me I am crazy for not having/wanting a smart phone?)

I need to know soon if I this can be resolved so that I can return the phone if it cannot be.

Thank you for your time and assistance!  ^_^

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Scholar

• 

34 Messages

12 years ago

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

Thank you thank you thank you thank you!!!

You have been SO much help. I can't even begin to say how much easier you have made things for me. I thought I was going to have to contact the people in China, who don't speak english, to ship in back in less than 15 day on top of all the other stuff severly complicating my life, so I truly cannot thank you enough.You have been such an immense help.

I got the internet working, but the sms is not working yet. I need to play around with it and I think it should be fine. My friend should be able to figure it out.

Again, thank you so very much.

Scholar

• 

122 Messages

12 years ago

Try to look up your model phone on their site. It might be able to give you MMS settings. Surprised you didn't get a 3G phone.
At&t might be able to send you MMS settings as a push message. Get tech support on the phone,and specifically state that department. Explain the situation,if they are not listening to you,escalate to a supervisor.

Scholar

• 

122 Messages

12 years ago

SMS needs a specific number,I forget which. I know it is a telephone number,but don't know it off hand. They should send you the settings via a message,or have you input SMS settings manually.

Scholar

• 

289 Messages

12 years ago

We don't think you are crazy for not using a "smart" phone.  Only because you expect to get long term usage out of a W580i. Cat Indifferent

Anyway the SMS won't be different once you find what to plug in.  I would not do that though.  Dumped SMS/MMS years ago when they hiked the price.  Instead, you presumably have in your hands an unbranded phone.  That would mean you have generic mail applet.  Hook it up to gmail or AOL/AIM and enjoy push mail.  "Text" all you want via mail.  If your correspondents are "unable" to send you email you can get a google voice number and let it front end the SMS for you.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.