Unlocked phone that does not require a data plan

Voyager

Unlocked phone that does not require a data plan

Hi,

I'm thinkin got buy a unlocked phone, but I do not want to be charged for a data plan. I heard that there was a list of the list of unlocked phones that do not require a data plan. Do you know where I can find it?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 27 (16,378 Views)
Expert

Re: Unlocked phone that does not require a data plan

wuerty wrote:

how is the detection on att prepaid different in regards to the phone?  i wonder why one would detect it and one would not. or are you referring to other prepaid companies?

gophones have different requirements then those on a normal contract

Message 16 of 27 (15,634 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

wuerty wrote:

really? i just found this topic that says otherwise http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1792837-Nokia-808-data-plan-on-At-amp-t?p=15088116#post15...

Historically AT&T hasn't been very good at detecting Symbian phones, don't know about Meego. That being said, as it is a smartphone, it does require a smartphone data plan, and you should be prepared that AT&T may detect that you're breaking their rules and add one.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 17 of 27 (15,311 Views)
Contributor

yes it can be done. here is what my friend did she bought her sony xeperia from india, turn off data and now she is using it on att for the past 2 yrs w/o any problem just as phone. she has wifi in school and at work so she is happy with this setup. i think one has to buy smartphone
Message 18 of 27 (13,212 Views)
Master

[ Edited ]
I would think that a device that does not have an at&t IMEI number would not be recognized as long as you don't use data on their network or at&t's network does not recognize the user agent id of the device's browser if you do use data.
Message 19 of 27 (12,646 Views)

I recently bought a sony xperia z1 which is model c6903 and its unlocked phone. I have 2 lines(one is with data plan, anotherone does not have data plan.) with att. It does not support att LTE but I had to chat with someone from att to get their APN to use their Hspa+ and I gave them my phone's IMEI. Just wanna to know if I use this phone with my another line the one does not have data plan on. Will att detected this is smartphone and add data plan to it?

Message 20 of 27 (9,842 Views)
ACE - Expert

If AT&T can determine that the phone is a smartphone, they will automatically add the data plan. There is no guarantee either way. It may take a few day or months to determine if it is a smartphone or they may never. No one knows. The only way is to try it and find out.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 21 of 27 (9,824 Views)
Tutor

I recently put my SIM in a Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 only to find that AT&T detected it and tried to add a data plan.

That was very much to my surprise, considering the phone is definitely not originally an AT&T device and the phone has a custom ROM, so it's not some software that is reporting itself to AT&T.

I assumed they are detecting phones based on their IMEI from a database, but I'm starting to suspect they use a different method.  I can't imagine what that would be.  Perhaps Samsung just handed over their entire smartphone IMEI list to AT&T.

I heard somewhere that you can actually have AT&T block data entirely and then use a smartphone with only wireless ethernet.  Seems a little silly to get 16 hours of battery life on a smartphone when you could get 4-5 days on a dumb phone, though.

Message 22 of 27 (6,113 Views)
Expert

buglebug wrote:

I recently put my SIM in a Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 only to find that AT&T detected it and tried to add a data plan.

That was very much to my surprise, considering the phone is definitely not originally an AT&T device and the phone has a custom ROM, so it's not some software that is reporting itself to AT&T.

I assumed they are detecting phones based on their IMEI from a database, but I'm starting to suspect they use a different method.  I can't imagine what that would be.  Perhaps Samsung just handed over their entire smartphone IMEI list to AT&T.

I heard somewhere that you can actually have AT&T block data entirely and then use a smartphone with only wireless ethernet.  Seems a little silly to get 16 hours of battery life on a smartphone when you could get 4-5 days on a dumb phone, though.

That is in the terms, as far as blocking data they will not do that on a smartphone, if you want a smartphone with no data plan use it with a gophone plan

Message 23 of 27 (6,087 Views)
Employee

[ Edited ]

That's changed. On the new Mobileshare value plans, data block has been enabled. Temporary blocking is available to customer via the website or the app, but indefinite blocking is available to agents.

You still get billed for smartphone charges.

Smart limits has also been fixed, supposedly anyways to limit smartphones now too

-Alex

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 24 of 27 (6,009 Views)
Master

If you use the default browser on any smartphone while you are on their network, that browser will send a
user agent id that will let them know what operating system your device is using. If you don't use data on their network or use a different browser, the only way they would be able to identify the phone would be the IMEI.
Message 25 of 27 (5,550 Views)
Employee

I'm not sure why you discounting that, the imei easily able to be backtracked to the phone model, and smartphone/basic phone distinction.

-Alex

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 26 of 27 (5,469 Views)
Master

I have used several smartphones (symbian OS & windows mobile) on at&t's network with an unlimited non-smartphone data plan. Using the IMEI alone won't work if at&t doesn't know what the device is, specifically ones that they don't sell. The user agent id of any web browser will tell them what browser you are using as well as the operating system that the browser is running on. Mobile devices also include additional information to help identify the device itself, which is also used by 3rd party websites to display content that is compatible with the device.
Message 27 of 27 (5,458 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.