For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
masahitow's profile

Voyager

• 

1 Message

Saturday, March 9th, 2013 7:17 AM

Unlocked phone that does not require a data plan

Hi,

I'm thinkin got buy a unlocked phone, but I do not want to be charged for a data plan. I heard that there was a list of the list of unlocked phones that do not require a data plan. Do you know where I can find it?

Thanks.

Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

11 years ago

@wuerty wrote:

what about nokia n8, n9, or nokia 808 pureview ?

ANY smartphone used on ATT's network requires a data plan. Since the ones you mention are all smartphones, yes, any of those would require a data plan. 

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

11 years ago

Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

11 years ago

@wuerty wrote:

really? i just found this topic that says otherwise http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1792837-Nokia-808-data-plan-on-At-amp-t?p=15088116#post15088116

...and here are the full specs on the Nokia 808 Smartphone

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_808_pureview-4577.php

...it still requires a data plan..no matter what. If you try using it without a data plan, ATT WILL detect it as a smartphone and add one for you. You can not use a dumbphone data plan on it like someone is saying in your link.

The only way I know of is to use it on a Prepaid plan and only use wifi..that is the only way it wouldn't require a data plan.

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

11 years ago

how is the detection on att prepaid different in regards to the phone?  i wonder why one would detect it and one would not. or are you referring to other prepaid companies?

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@wuerty wrote:

how is the detection on att prepaid different in regards to the phone?  i wonder why one would detect it and one would not. or are you referring to other prepaid companies?

gophones have different requirements then those on a normal contract

ACE - Expert

• 

6.6K Messages

11 years ago

@wuerty wrote:

really? i just found this topic that says otherwise http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1792837-Nokia-808-data-plan-on-At-amp-t?p=15088116#post15088116

Historically AT&T hasn't been very good at detecting Symbian phones, don't know about Meego. That being said, as it is a smartphone, it does require a smartphone data plan, and you should be prepared that AT&T may detect that you're breaking their rules and add one.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

yes it can be done. here is what my friend did she bought her sony xeperia from india, turn off data and now she is using it on att for the past 2 yrs w/o any problem just as phone. she has wifi in school and at work so she is happy with this setup. i think one has to buy smartphone

Master

• 

788 Messages

11 years ago

I would think that a device that does not have an at&t IMEI number would not be recognized as long as you don't use data on their network or at&t's network does not recognize the user agent id of the device's browser if you do use data.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

I recently bought a sony xperia z1 which is model c6903 and its unlocked phone. I have 2 lines(one is with data plan, anotherone does not have data plan.) with att. It does not support att LTE but I had to chat with someone from att to get their APN to use their Hspa+ and I gave them my phone's IMEI. Just wanna to know if I use this phone with my another line the one does not have data plan on. Will att detected this is smartphone and add data plan to it?

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

10 years ago

If AT&T can determine that the phone is a smartphone, they will automatically add the data plan. There is no guarantee either way. It may take a few day or months to determine if it is a smartphone or they may never. No one knows. The only way is to try it and find out.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.