Unlocked phone that does not require a data plan

Voyager

Unlocked phone that does not require a data plan

Hi,

I'm thinkin got buy a unlocked phone, but I do not want to be charged for a data plan. I heard that there was a list of the list of unlocked phones that do not require a data plan. Do you know where I can find it?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 27 (16,371 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: Unlocked phone that does not require a data plan

There's no such list. A rough rule of thumb is that any iPhone, Blackberry, Android and Windows-based phone will require a data plan and other phones won't.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 27 (16,296 Views)

There is no list.  I ahve looked around online and I have found some web sites that sell unlocked phones.  I will send you a private message with the link to one of those sites.

Message 3 of 27 (16,282 Views)
Expert

callie.crk.kuczek wrote:

There is no list.  I ahve looked around online and I have found some web sites that sell unlocked phones.  I will send you a private message with the link to one of those sites.

what will it matter? A smartphone, locked or unlocked requires a data plan, if you don;t add one and it is detected it will be added - and there is nothing that can be done. the carrier is wll within their rights to add the required feature

Message 4 of 27 (16,260 Views)
Expert

[ Edited ]

wingrider01 wrote:

callie.crk.kuczek wrote:

what will it matter? A smartphone, locked or unlocked requires a data plan, if you don;t add one and it is detected it will be added - and there is nothing that can be done. the carrier is wll within their rights to add the required feature

My smartphone is an unlocked one...and wingrider01 is correct...locked or unlocked..ATT detects that you are using one, they will add a data plan.

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

Message 5 of 27 (16,247 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

wingrider01 wrote:

As far as I can tell nobody was asking about smartphones. The OP specifically asked about phones that don't require a data plan. Why add confusion? There are plenty of unlocked phones out there that don't require a data plan, such as Nokia Asha line — I'm sure there are others as well.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 27 (16,093 Views)
Tutor

If I buy a phone that requires a data plan from Amazon, that AT&T is not offering any more or unlocked from another carrier, will AT&T charge me for a data plan?

Message 7 of 27 (15,757 Views)
Expert

joedw00 wrote:

If I buy a phone that requires a data plan from Amazon, that AT&T is not offering any more or unlocked from another carrier, will AT&T charge me for a data plan?

Yes, they will. ATT will detect that it is a smartphone and they will add an appropriate data plan. 

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

Message 8 of 27 (15,757 Views)
Tutor

Well that S--ks

Thank for the quick reply.

Message 9 of 27 (15,750 Views)
Expert

joedw00 wrote:

Well that S--ks

Thank for the quick reply.

No problem...and you're welcome. 

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

Message 10 of 27 (15,748 Views)
Teacher

what about nokia n8, n9, or nokia 808 pureview ?

Message 11 of 27 (15,710 Views)
Expert

[ Edited ]

wuerty wrote:

what about nokia n8, n9, or nokia 808 pureview ?

ANY smartphone used on ATT's network requires a data plan. Since the ones you mention are all smartphones, yes, any of those would require a data plan. 

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

Message 12 of 27 (15,707 Views)
Teacher

Message 13 of 27 (15,701 Views)
Expert

[ Edited ]

wuerty wrote:

really? i just found this topic that says otherwise http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1792837-Nokia-808-data-plan-on-At-amp-t?p=15088116#post15...

...and here are the full specs on the Nokia 808 Smartphone

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_808_pureview-4577.php

...it still requires a data plan..no matter what. If you try using it without a data plan, ATT WILL detect it as a smartphone and add one for you. You can not use a dumbphone data plan on it like someone is saying in your link.

The only way I know of is to use it on a Prepaid plan and only use wifi..that is the only way it wouldn't require a data plan.

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

Message 14 of 27 (15,698 Views)
Teacher

how is the detection on att prepaid different in regards to the phone?  i wonder why one would detect it and one would not. or are you referring to other prepaid companies?

Message 15 of 27 (15,668 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.