Troubleshoot your device issues
vinrossgmailcom's profile

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

Monday, July 24th, 2017 6:36 PM

Unlocked/Unbranded Phones ... Do not even think about trying to use them on the AT&T network ....

Motorola Z Play  I am giving it a poor rating because I would like to warn potential buyers of what to expect when buying an unlocked non-branded phone for use on AT&T and other so called compatible nnetworks. I have had the smartphone for two weeks and AT&T will not activate and allow some basic functionality. You will not be able to make HD (High Def Voice Calls) otherwise known as VOLTE or 4G LTE Voice calling or be able to use Wi-Fi calling. AT&T will not allow the revs in the software downloads for these now most basic technologies to operate. Their lame excuse is that these smartphones and that technology have not been sufficiently tested on their networks. Totally ludicrous ... At this point in the game 4G voice calling and WI-FI calling major bugs have all been worked out. Verizon actually has this same phone branded and HD voice/Wi-Fi calling seem to work just fine on their networks. So now all your voice calls will go over over their old 3G HSPA network. Now companies like Verizon have stopped building 2G/3G on their new cell sites about some 4 years ago. So If your smartphone won't originate a 4G voice call you basically will have no service for voice calling. I am not sure about AT&T and if they are still deploying HSPA+ on their new builds. One cannot get a straight answer. Also, I have experienced incoming call failures while the smartphone sits on the LTE carrier and there is an incoming call. The phone has difficulty in then completing/setting up the incoming call on the 3G network. Its intermittent but definitely an issue. In addition, an IMEI (ESN) miss match condition shows on your subscriber info internal to AT&T. In order for LTE to continue to operate on your smartphone they have to keep your old IMEI provisioned or some other bogus IMEI from a branded device. If one day their policy should change on this matter you WILL NOT have LTE data service at all but be forced solely onto their 3G network at 3G speeds although paying for 4G.  Another important point is AT&T's advisement to use a 2nd party Wi-Fi calling app like hangouts or Skype on these unbranded smartphones that don't offer Wi-Fi calling. There are so many issues in going that route, like not being able to receive incoming calls using your cell number, that this direction deserves a whole write up on its own. With all of these issues I would not even dare to use this smartphone for international roaming. Given AT&T's logic perhaps we all should turn down electric light and go back to rotary dial telephones as well. Perhaps electricity and push button phones have not been tested properly as well and should not be allowed ...... The real reason of course comes down to $$$ and sense. AT&T and the like are not making money on these smartphones so that is more the real reason to have such an insane policy.  ...... I am sure I will find many other issues if I decide to keep using this smartphone. These phone manufacturers should not be allowed to sell this equipment and the carriers should not allow these smartphones to be activated at all given the limitations that are present. How would you like an automobile that is "air conditioner ready" but the auto maker won't install the compressor to activate the air conditioning because they did not sell you the car ....... Well ....  Welcome to AT&T Mobility ....

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

Yes I understand ATT certified the Pixel2 (about $700 I think) and 3 or 4 others, not shure their criteria.

The G5plus's were about $160, big difference in price, but both do same thing "for me", for next couple years that I will have them anyway.

The cert is clearly an ATT choice as T-Mob supports the feature on same phone(and an older Moto X too) so the phones are capable on GSM networks at least(cant speak for CDMA S and V)

I will say that on trip thru Asia that just returned from, T-Mob G5 was flawless across Japan, China, HK, Malasia and Thailand plus couple EU stops using their free WW "slow" data(which then means free calls using Hangouts)

Needless to say, my ATT G5 was a paperweight.  

Anyway, since it sounds like ATT will continue locking out almost all BYO phones from VOIP, and the other services that require VOIP(wifi calling, HD etc), I know what I gotto do.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

6 years ago

It’s going to take the pressure from t-mobile, which may take a few years yet, to get ATT to remove head from the sand.  

Unfortunately t-mo is still only a baby pink network in far to many places to be a viable option.  

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

I think also alot of it is their "tier 2" tech support as well as 98% of their employees have no idea what they are doing or what any of this does. It's very simple to register ims. And no they make a TON of money requesting special models from manufacturers with requested services be disabled and reselling the crippled device for more than the manufacturer sells the original device for. They just plain have no idea how to register devices that are not plug in play.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

5 years ago

@csiler

It does not matter what they do or don’t know.  Phones work if they are programmed/have software that allows them to work, because At&t allowed it.  

The Pixel 3 is the first non carrier android that ATT allowed in.  It will get VoLTE and Wifi calling.  

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

5 years ago

@csiler wrote:

I think also alot of it is their "tier 2" tech support as well as 98% of their employees have no idea what they are doing or what any of this does. It's very simple to register ims. And no they make a TON of money requesting special models from manufacturers with requested services be disabled and reselling the crippled device for more than the manufacturer sells the original device for. They just plain have no idea how to register devices that are not plug in play.

There is more to the IMS than just ATT's system as there are IMS settings on the phones also.  ATT can not send updates to phones it does not control the software on.  Each company can do what google did and have the device certified to work.  Verizon is requiring the same thing with new LTE devices.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Just a really short reply from someone, me, who has been dealing with cell phones since the BRICK era.

Yeah, I was born in 1958, I have seen it all, and then some. I built my first computer about 28 months before WOZ built "the" computer that JOBS-LIED and said he built.  

But I digress. Most of what you say is correct. -But- if you have a GEEK friend, or you can spend -some-time- online, (before you buy) just about any phone -will- work on any network.    
Nevertheless, if you have access to neither, then, I guess, go to the cell provider and-over pay for your device. Especially, anything Apple. (a topic for another forum)-LoL   {not here to get into a fight, and not here to get into NANO-GEEK stuff. Just my 2¢ of input}

Keep-Geekin'

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

I'm having the same problem with a Note 10 plus that I just purchased. I will be canceling my membership with ATT after over a decade. Unbelievable!  It's a real scum-bag move

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.