For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
vinrossgmailcom's profile

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

Monday, July 24th, 2017 6:36 PM

Unlocked/Unbranded Phones ... Do not even think about trying to use them on the AT&T network ....

Motorola Z Play  I am giving it a poor rating because I would like to warn potential buyers of what to expect when buying an unlocked non-branded phone for use on AT&T and other so called compatible nnetworks. I have had the smartphone for two weeks and AT&T will not activate and allow some basic functionality. You will not be able to make HD (High Def Voice Calls) otherwise known as VOLTE or 4G LTE Voice calling or be able to use Wi-Fi calling. AT&T will not allow the revs in the software downloads for these now most basic technologies to operate. Their lame excuse is that these smartphones and that technology have not been sufficiently tested on their networks. Totally ludicrous ... At this point in the game 4G voice calling and WI-FI calling major bugs have all been worked out. Verizon actually has this same phone branded and HD voice/Wi-Fi calling seem to work just fine on their networks. So now all your voice calls will go over over their old 3G HSPA network. Now companies like Verizon have stopped building 2G/3G on their new cell sites about some 4 years ago. So If your smartphone won't originate a 4G voice call you basically will have no service for voice calling. I am not sure about AT&T and if they are still deploying HSPA+ on their new builds. One cannot get a straight answer. Also, I have experienced incoming call failures while the smartphone sits on the LTE carrier and there is an incoming call. The phone has difficulty in then completing/setting up the incoming call on the 3G network. Its intermittent but definitely an issue. In addition, an IMEI (ESN) miss match condition shows on your subscriber info internal to AT&T. In order for LTE to continue to operate on your smartphone they have to keep your old IMEI provisioned or some other bogus IMEI from a branded device. If one day their policy should change on this matter you WILL NOT have LTE data service at all but be forced solely onto their 3G network at 3G speeds although paying for 4G.  Another important point is AT&T's advisement to use a 2nd party Wi-Fi calling app like hangouts or Skype on these unbranded smartphones that don't offer Wi-Fi calling. There are so many issues in going that route, like not being able to receive incoming calls using your cell number, that this direction deserves a whole write up on its own. With all of these issues I would not even dare to use this smartphone for international roaming. Given AT&T's logic perhaps we all should turn down electric light and go back to rotary dial telephones as well. Perhaps electricity and push button phones have not been tested properly as well and should not be allowed ...... The real reason of course comes down to $$$ and sense. AT&T and the like are not making money on these smartphones so that is more the real reason to have such an insane policy.  ...... I am sure I will find many other issues if I decide to keep using this smartphone. These phone manufacturers should not be allowed to sell this equipment and the carriers should not allow these smartphones to be activated at all given the limitations that are present. How would you like an automobile that is "air conditioner ready" but the auto maker won't install the compressor to activate the air conditioning because they did not sell you the car ....... Well ....  Welcome to AT&T Mobility ....

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

7 years ago

Basic to you does not mean they are basic carrier features.  Wifi calling on android phones was not approved for ATT by the FCC and their branded devices until about 1.5 years ago.  It is clustered among the advanced features offered.  

These features were being used without FCC approval by T-mo and Sprint for 3-4 years 

Verizon got approval about the same time ATT did and has the same limits.  

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

7 years ago

HD Voice, WiFi calling, Advanced Messaging....these are advanced features. The FCC states an unlocked phone must simply make or receive calls. That's it. There is no provision for VOLTE or even LTE data. Ultimately a cellular network is a closed, private entity.

The reasons for requiring branded devices doesn't have to be anything justifiable from a technical stance. It can be done from a purely business standpoint intended to bolster sales of branded phones. It's the carrier's right to do so if they wish.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

7 years ago

@David606 wrote:

HD Voice, WiFi calling, Advanced Messaging....these are advanced features. The FCC states an unlocked phone must simply make or receive calls. That's it. There is no provision for VOLTE or even LTE data. Ultimately a cellular network is a closed, private entity.

The reasons for requiring branded devices doesn't have to be anything justifiable from a technical stance. It can be done from a purely business standpoint intended to bolster sales of branded phones. It's the carrier's right to do so if they wish.

@David606

maybe but I bet you by the end of the year ATT will change there tune...  Almost 500k in sub losses in 2017 so far and if they lose customers in the 3rd quarter after the new iphone drops well there is as problem.  People are getting smarter with mobile devices.  Hence why ATT is charging 5 bucks for a sim card they are saying there are more BYOP devices coming to the network how can we make MORE money off it.

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

7 years ago

I've was engineer for VZW for the past 25 years. Your time line is off.
Companies like vz stopped deploying 3g technologies with LTE some five
years ago. .... does AtT still deploy HSPA on their new cell builds ??
Please !!! Not going to argue with you. .. there is nothing you can say
that I can't debunk with 1st hand knowledge ....

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@vinrossgmailcom wrote:
I've was engineer for VZW for the past 25 years.
Not going to argue with you. .. there is nothing you can say

Debunking things like broadly saying that NON-AT&T phones won't USE WiFi calling? Wait, you're the one who said that....

Your "1st hand knowledge" started off pretty shaky with facts.  And now you reveal you're an expert?

Do you really think AT&T is making that much on the phones, compared to the service? (This is a question, it's not meant to be rhetorical). If that was really the case, they could just charge more for the service and do a $5 or $10 Next discount? 

I'm not sure why you are talking about 3G so much.  You brought it up again in this post (#15) but no one else seems to be talking about 3G. It feels like you're arguing with someone here but not certain who... The forum does allow quoting software so that your comments appear with the context to what you are replying to and makes it a little more clear.

And your two part question is a weird question, you mention something about 5 years ago (with a different company) and as a follow up then ask if AT&T STILL does that. You're leaving out out the 4 years in between (when they could have stopped) as a possibility.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

7 years ago

@vinrossgmailcom wrote:
I've was engineer for VZW for the past 25 years. Your time line is off.
Please !!! Not going to argue with you. .. there is nothing you can say

actually yes att is deploying both 3g and 4g lte tech in towers...  Its not like there are a ton of flip phones out there that are volte yet.  Verizon is still using old tech because LTE is not everywhere yet.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

Old thread and old ATT problem...still no solution.

Got an unlocked Moto G5 with all WW bands and ATT is still not allowing VOLTE on "bring your own phones", this means that while on a phone call, you cannot access data...ie on the road in a call, and cannot access maps for traffic, locations of interest etc etc

Meanwhile my other account on T-Mob VOLTE works just fine on wife's G5(bought 3 from cosco), easy to check as you see LTE symbol still on while on a call and accessing data.

Anybody know if ATT has any plans to stop this nonsense on even-brand-new unlocked phones?

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

Works fine on the pixel 2....  It won't be certified on cheap phones like the Moto g line because Lenovo won't pay for it because it will raise the price.   The honor 7 was a 300 dollar phone that suppprted volte.  You can still use data while on a call it just drops to 3g from LTE.

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

6 years ago

Does At&T still deploy HSPA on new cell sites? Or do you strictly do LTE
only on new cells?

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

6 years ago

As far as I know, it will remain the way it is for the foreseeable future.
If I were setting expectations it would be that only the current unlocked
phones that get VOLTE will be the ones that can use it (iPhone, global S8,
HTC10, Pop Idol 4?)
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.