Troubleshoot your device issues
Nimrod's profile

Guru

• 

913 Messages

Friday, December 12th, 2008 3:46 PM

Closed

Unlocked Fuze question

Since I paid full price ($528) for the Fuze, shouldnt it be carrier/SIM unlocked?  I did not buy the phone under any contract and I did pay the absolute full price that AT&T charges, so Im thinking that it should not have any restrictions on it.

Your thoughts?

Accepted Solution

Expert

• 

2.4K Messages

15 years ago

@Nimrod wrote:

@videomaker wrote:
You can also get the unlock code from support chat on the website.

Hmm, after talking to support chat, they told me that because I paid full price for my phone, that I would have to call in a case and request the unlock code and that I would also have to fax in my receipt to show that I did indeed pay full price for my phone.

I also asked him if I had paid on a contract price if he could give it to me and he said yes.  So in other words, I forked out more money out of my pocket and now I have to do work and wait up to two weeks to get my code.  Makes perfect sense.

Call Customer Care again...it sometimes can depend on which rep you talk to.  Some are more helpful than others.  I got mine over the phone without waiting for an e-mail or doing any of the things you mentioned.  I also did not pay the full price for the phone, but have been a customer for over 10 years.

Guru

• 

642 Messages

15 years ago

After ninety days, AT&T will unlock for you, if you are a new customer. If you are an existing customer, you can get your unlock code while you wait on the phone.
Keep in mind, that it was still subsidized by AT&T - web prices are several hundred more for unlocked phones.

Guru

• 

913 Messages

15 years ago

Oh, so they dont unlock them in house, you still have to call AT&T?

The reason I ask is because my boss asked me if it was already unlocked since I paid full price for it.  I told him that I never thought to ask the CR that helped me in the store but that it made perfect since that it should be since I paid full price and not the contract price.

Expert

• 

2.4K Messages

15 years ago

Just obtain the unlock code from ATT, put in a non-ATT SIM in the phone (when it's turned off), power it up then it will as for the subsidy code.  After entering the code, you should be good to go.

Guru

• 

495 Messages

15 years ago

I don't think AT&T sells any phone unlocked, whether you pay full retail price or not.

@Nimrod wrote:
Oh, so they dont unlock them in house, you still have to call AT&T?

The reason I ask is because my boss asked me if it was already unlocked since I paid full price for it.  I told him that I never thought to ask the CR that helped me in the store but that it made perfect since that it should be since I paid full price and not the contract price.

Scholar

• 

258 Messages

15 years ago

Guru

• 

913 Messages

15 years ago

@videomaker wrote:

Hmm, after talking to support chat, they told me that because I paid full price for my phone, that I would have to call in a case and request the unlock code and that I would also have to fax in my receipt to show that I did indeed pay full price for my phone.

I also asked him if I had paid on a contract price if he could give it to me and he said yes.  So in other words, I forked out more money out of my pocket and now I have to do work and wait up to two weeks to get my code.  Makes perfect sense.

Guru

• 

913 Messages

15 years ago

Well all I have to say is from now on Im not going to bother with the Tech chat... calling AT&T is much more efficient.  Got my code and now I can travel using different SIM cards.

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

15 years ago

I have contracts with other carriers, and honestly AT&T has been the best with unlocking phones. I called customer service the release day and the gave me the unlock code for the fuze. This is critical when traveling. I leave my AT&T sim in, get a call, then ask the person if I can call them back in a minute. I power down, replace the sim, power up and I'm in business. It's tedious, but until they have a real dual sim phone, it's the best I can do. The other option is carrying two phones, which I do from time to time, but the Fuze is so small in comparison to other smart phones, carrying it with a dumb phone seems like a waste.

I did learn that you can't have an international plan and a tethering plan at the same time though, so if you are traveling and want the data plan for calls and I think slightly cheaper data you have to switch back and forth.No tehtering options overseas, but this says to me that AT&T doesn't make much money on international voice and data. Again, kudos to AT&T for allowing you to change options on the plan. Overall I switched to AT&T because of the international options, and I have been very pleased. I've travelled all over the world and always had reliable coverage for voice and data, and I've been to some remote places.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

15 years ago

THIS IS WHAT I RECEIVED WHEN REQUESTING AN UNLOCK CODE:

Account: 9732XXXX R RODRIGUEZ 

IMEI                              MODEL

3531420XXXXXXXX          HTC

No roaming soc:

We recently received a request to provide you with a Subsidy Unlock Code for your handset. Unfortunately we are unable to provide you with the unlock code. Cingular does not unlock handsets for the purposes of international travel except for our International Roaming customers (customers who qualify for and have Cingular's International Roaming feature on their account). International roaming capability must be added to the account before this code can be given. Please contact Customer Service at 1-800-331-0500 for further assistance.

Please do not respond to this email, as you will not receive a response.

AT&T Wireless

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.