For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
Trutlelea's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, December 15th, 2015 8:33 PM

Unlock

I bought this phone at a flea market but when I request an unlock code they say I haven't completed my contract I have no clue who even had the contract is there anything I can do to get the phone unlocked?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

8 years ago

@Trutlelea wrote:
I bought this phone at a flea market but when I request an unlock code they say I haven't completed my contract I have no clue who even had the contract is there anything I can do to get the phone unlocked?

As long as the phone is under an agreement with AT&T (either a service contract or a NEXT purchase agreement), you can not get it unlocked until the agreement terms are fully met.  For a service contract, the 2 year service agreement or the ETF (Early Termination Fee) must be paid.  For a NEXT agreement, the full balance on the account must be paid.  It sounds like the phone you purchased was purchased from AT&T under a service contract and it was either:

1. Replaced by the owner with a new phone before the 2 year contract was up
  2. Lost and sold be the person who found it.
  3. Stolen and sold
  4. On an account cancelled without paying the ETF
  5. On an account which was closed due to lack of payments

If you are lucky, it was one of the first 2 options because with that those, sooner or later, the 2 year contract will be met and you will be able to unlock the phone then.  If it was one of the 3 other options, then you likely will never be able to unlock the phone.  If the phone was blacklisted, even if you get it unlocked, you will not be able to use it in the US.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

8 years ago

I eventuallyhad got AT&T to unlock 4 phones.  These were phones that I had purchased on eBay.

For each phone I had to submit multiple unlock requests with AT&T before they'd unlock the phone.

For each phone, here's the run-around that I received from AT&T:

1. You don't have an account with us.

2. You do have an account, but you gave us the wrong PIN code.

3. You gave us an invalid IMEI code.

4. You do have an account, but you gave us the wrong PIN code.

5. Okay, we'll unlock it for you.

For each phone.  😐

I was originally going to just unlock the phones because I prefer an unlocked phone.  But after this I decided to find a better wireless carrier.

After I transferred all 4 lines away from AT&T to another carrier, AT&T continued to bill me for one of the lines.  That took about 3 phone calls to straighten out.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

Just need it unlocked for a short period of time

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I just purchased a attgophone and put the pattern code on it first before activating have a receipt and everything is there a way to get it unlocked ? I forgot the pattern to unlock it please help?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

I am leaving AT&T because they are unethical and dishnes. please unlock my phne to allow transfer to another carrier:

[edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.]

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

Please allow me to move my pohne numbers to a new carrier

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

My new carrier is t-mobile

Jeff C

[edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.]

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

@Shaina86 You're going to have to try and figure out the unlock code/pattern, or if you have it set up with an account, you can unlock remotely.

If you don't have one of these options available, you're down to a phone reset.

@johndeee-60 This is a customer-supported forum, not an AT&T CSR contact.

You can submit your phone for unlock, https://www.att.com/deviceunlock, and watch for an email(s), for each phone(s).  You must verify the unlock request, and then wait for the code.

This is assuming you meet all the requirements for unlock (periods of use, paid-off, etc).

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I can not afford to minain Sasung Android cell phone.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I am going to move to Verizon as they are giving unlocked phone and for that you don't have to pay full amount. I have request at&t many time for temporary unlock as I am traveling India but they said I have to pay full amount. I have been with at&t since many year when they don't listen to customer request no point to stay with them. I don't understand two big competitor company(at&t and version), when version can give unlock device why not at&t. End of the day I am paying same amount. 😔😔😔😔
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.