Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Unlock Phone - Things To Know From AT&T

Community Support

Unlock Phone - Things To Know From AT&T

 

DeviceUnlock_.png

Unlocking Your Device - Requests & Facts

 

Your device is designed to work on the AT&T wireless network, and may require a device unlock to operate on another compatible wireless network. AT&T can send you unlock instructions upon request, provided that we can reasonably obtain them from the manufacturer and that you meet the requirements below. You should receive a response within two business days.You will find information on how to unlock your device and answers to most questions below.

 

Notice: AT&T cannot unlock devices from other wireless carriers. 

 

How To Request A Device Unlock 

  1. Go to our Device Unlock portal.
  2. Select Yes if you are an AT&T Customer, No if you are not an AT&T customer
  3. Enter your telephone # if you are an AT&T Customer. Enter your IMEI if you are a non-AT&T Customer.
  4. Follow the prompts. 

If you have an issue with the site, delete cache, cookies, and restart your browser. In some instances you may need to use another browser. 

 

Business customers can request an unlock code for a business device Here.

 

To check status of your request

  1. Go to our Status Portal.
  2.  Enter your IMEI Number & Request Number.
  3. Follow the prompts.

General Requirements for All Unlock Requests

  • The device must be designed for use on, and locked to, the AT&T wireless network. (For help see Device Unlock Support)
  • It must not be reported lost or stolen.
  • It’s not associated with fraudulent activity.
  • All the device’s service commitments and installment plans are completed, and all early termination fees are paid in full.
  • The device is not currently active on a different AT&T customer’s account.
  • If you performed an early upgrade, you must wait the 14-day buyer’s remorse period before you can request to unlock your previous device.

eBay & Non-AT&T Purchases

If a phone is purchased from a non-AT&T authorized dealer or sites like eBay, AT&T may be unable to unlock the device. Before purchasing the device, make sure the seller performs the unlock request. In some instances, you will have to contact the seller to perform the request. If the device was purchased by another provider, they should have online resources to unlock the device.

 

Postpaid Customers

  • Your account must be active for at least 60 days, with no past due or unpaid balance.

Prepaid / GoPhone®

  • The device must be active for at least six months of paid service.

Non-AT&T Mobility Customers

  • You’ve never had an AT&T wireless account and you meet the General Requirements for unlock requests.

Deployed Military Personnel (Current AT&T Customers Only)

  • Current AT&T customers who are active and deployed military personnel, and have provided deployment verification, need to meet all the General Requirements, except those related to the device's service commitments, installment plans and early termination fees.
  • AT&T, at its sole discretion, may limit the number of devices military personnel can unlock.

Important:

AT&T reserves the right to deny any unlock request that it concludes would result in an abuse of this policy or is part of an effort to defraud AT&T or its customers. AT&T further reserves the right to alter this unlocking policy at its discretion without advance notice.

 

ChrisZ, AT&T Community Specialist

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button.
For additional support, please visit us at our AT&T services hub.
Follow us on: Twitter @ATTCares and @DIRECTVService

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
55,298 Views
Message 4 of 280
Mentor

Re: We can't unlock this device because it hasn't been active for at least six months of paid servic

This is a scam on ATTs part. If you have an old att phone lying around try to unlock it. It will send you back one of many errors, non of which actually show the true state of the phone which is paid off and unlock eligable. Stick a prepaid sim in it. Now all the sudden it becomes a prepaid device that cannot be unlocked. 

 

[Legal discussions are not permitted per the Guidelines]

Message 106 of 280
ACE - Expert

Re: We can't unlock this device because it hasn't been active for at least six months of paid servic


@JoeJohn wrote:

This is a scam on ATTs part. If you have an old att phone lying around try to unlock it. It will send you back one of many errors, non of which actually show the true state of the phone which is paid off and unlock eligable. Stick a prepaid sim in it. Now all the sudden it becomes a prepaid device that cannot be unlocked. @dchege711 we should see if a c1ass acti0n 1aw su1t can be filed to fix this.


@JoeJohn

 

you need to find a new hobbie

 

Here are 2 unlocks I did and you can see how quick they were approved....  Also read the terms of service you cant file a class action against ATT you gave up those rights.

 

unlock5.PNGunlock6.PNG

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 107 of 280
ACE - Guru

Re: We can't unlock this device because it hasn't been active for at least six months of paid servic

@JoeJohn You're going to educate AT&T at your own expense? I assume through this forum? Got news for you, they ain't listening via this forum. Just so you know, this is a user to user forum. When someone does happen to respond via the ATT Cares account, it is a technical support person. Not someone that has input into polices concerning locked devices. You'll have more luck trying to arrange a meeting at AT&T Wireless Corporate Headquarters.

 

Just an FYI

ODad
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 108 of 280
Mentor

Re: We can't unlock this device because it hasn't been active for at least six months of paid servic

@ODad not ATT the other ATT customers, basically anyone who tries to unlock an att phone will be directed here. This will bring the scam to light. @GLIMMERMAN76 Stop posting stuff like how fast you got your phone unlocked. Almost everyone whos tried to unlock a device has had issues.

Message 109 of 280
ACE - Expert

Re: We can't unlock this device because it hasn't been active for at least six months of paid servic


@JoeJohn wrote:

@ODad not ATT the other ATT customers, basically anyone who tries to unlock an att phone will be directed here. This will bring the scam to light. @GLIMMERMAN76 Stop posting stuff like how fast you got your phone unlocked. Almost everyone whos tried to unlock a device has had issues.


@JoeJohn

 

dont like the fact that I can counter your gripe?  The unlock portal works if people have followed the guidelines that are listed on the portal...  As for a phone to be used on prepaid IF YOU UNLOCK THEM BEFORE you stick a prepaid sim in the phone will stay unlocked.  The new S9 unlocked thru Samsung WILL NOT LOCK to ATT as the imei is not in ATT's database and never will be for advanced features counter to what you posted in the S9 thread.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 110 of 280
Mentor

Re: We can't unlock this device because it hasn't been active for at least six months of paid servic

I have tried to unlock around 5 eligible devices. Only one worked, the others i had to contact ATT. And two they wont respond to me about. One of the phones took about 4 times me contacting support, i got multiple reasons why it couldn't be unlocked. Then i got ahold of the right person and they complied with their policy. I don’t see how you think you can counter my argument. You guys have openly admitted ATTs unlock process is riddled with bugs and issues. They lock phones they are not supposed to etc. its almost as if you have to unlock an unlocked phone before you use it with at&t. If you guys want me to post all the emails and messages to this thread I can find sometime this weekend to do so. Please tell me what point you are trying to make, what is the topic of this debate? That I should just deal with ATT sucking because so does everyone else? Ive been a verizon customer before for years, they are price gouging, but the service and company functions properly. They are able to resolve issues with their service. They are able to support their product.
Message 111 of 280
Mentor

Re: We can't unlock this device because it hasn't been active for at least six months of paid servic

I subscribe to this thread and have been reading all of this for awhile now because I want to feel like someone else besides me in the world also feels F_____D by AT&T. I appreciate all of you that take a stand against this insanity on their part and attempt to make a level-headed and logical appeal towards AT&T and those that insist that there is nothing wrong with the policies that are in place...when ALL OF US that are consumers on this short end of the stick have perfect clarity on this issue, even though some insist that we don't. I just want to say thanks to y'all for not giving up against this form of tyranny. 

I have a Phoenix 3 AT&T GoPhone that I bought at Walmart in December-2017 that AT&T swore they could not unlock, the box states it cannot be unlocked until after 6 months of service, and AT&T representatives on THIS FORUM SITE argued with me that I could not get a legal unlock code from AT&T... yet I did... I called AT&T customer service and they gave me one in December of 2017. I used that unlock code to unlock the phone. The phone stated that it was unlocked on the very first try... and the phone will not 'see' a new SIM card at all. It WILL take a SIM card from any other phone on the AT&T network that uses a micro-SIM, which then turns my phone into their phone in the blink of an eye with no error messages or problems of any sort at all. I have been back in touch with AT&T and they told me it is a manufacturing problem with the phone itself. They told me to call the manufacturer. I then called the manufacturer. They said that there wasn't anything wrong with the phone and that it was AT&T's responsibility. I went to take it back to Walmart in Dec after hearing all of that insane b______t... to discover that Walmart changed their return policy just before the 2017 Christmas holidays so that they only accept returns on phones for 15 days now. I was at about 20 and they told me 'No'. I'll never buy another electronic device EVER again at Walmart. I'm sure they won't care or notice, but I have a long memory and don't care either. AT&T is right there at being fired from my family plan forever. I have a brand new brick that I can't do anything with except practice flashing operating systems on it. Once I get that down AT&T is going to lose a S___LOAD of money from my family in retail sales...

AT&T just doesn't seem to understand that when you oppress a group of people within a civilization, those that feel screwed are then forced to get off their butts, rise up from that feeling of oppression, and get motivated to become dynamic, creative, entrepreneurial individuals with a chip on their shoulder. In the long run, this is a stupid and short-sighted idea on the part of AT&T. It is decisions like this one that detract from the great country that we could be. It does NOT add to the betterment of society. It destroys our hope that companies f____g care at all about their consumers, our faith in them to be great leaders of trends, their integrity, our desire to see them prosper, our happiness with our own decisions to keep choosing AT&T, and any amount of respect that we might have for AT&T and anyone that stands up for them. They NEED TO CHANGE THIS POLICY. Period. What else is there to add to that? 

Have an excellent weekend Smiley Happy
 
Dave
Message 112 of 280
ACE - Expert

Re: We can't unlock this device because it hasn't been active for at least six months of paid servic


@JoeJohn wrote:
I have tried to unlock around 5 eligible devices. Only one worked, the others i had to contact ATT. And two they wont respond to me about. One of the phones took about 4 times me contacting support, i got multiple reasons why it couldn't be unlocked. Then i got ahold of the right person and they complied with their policy. I don’t see how you think you can counter my argument. You guys have openly admitted ATTs unlock process is riddled with bugs and issues. They lock phones they are not supposed to etc. its almost as if you have to unlock an unlocked phone before you use it with at&t. If you guys want me to post all the emails and messages to this thread I can find sometime this weekend to do so. Please tell me what point you are trying to make, what is the topic of this debate? That I should just deal with ATT sucking because so does everyone else? Ive been a verizon customer before for years, they are price gouging, but the service and company functions properly. They are able to resolve issues with their service. They are able to support their product.

@JoeJohn

 

I have always said that prepaid is the issue with the unlock portal..  I wont use the garbage service on any carrier its to expensive for my family...  I pay ATT 34 dollars a month for 6 lines of unlimited plus prepaid cant beat it..... 

 

Now I will say you going in that s9 thread and telling folks their device will be locked was off...  If it was a apple device I would agree....  There is a problem with apples activation server and att that apple AND att need to get fixed.  Remember Apple holds ALL the unlocks on their servers for device unlocking...  You don't get a code like all the other phone os.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 113 of 280
ACE - Expert

Re: We can't unlock this device because it hasn't been active for at least six months of paid servic


@DPenhead wrote:

AT&T just doesn't seem to understand that when you oppress a group of people within a civilization, those that feel screwed are then forced to get off their butts, rise up from that feeling of oppression, and get motivated to become dynamic, creative, entrepreneurial individuals with a chip on their shoulder. In the long run, this is a stupid and short-sighted idea on the part of AT&T. It is decisions like this one that detract from the great country that we could be. It does NOT add to the betterment of society. It destroys our hope that companies f____g care at all about their consumers, our faith in them to be great leaders of trends, their integrity, our desire to see them prosper, our happiness with our own decisions to keep choosing AT&T, and any amount of respect that we might have for AT&T and anyone that stands up for them. They NEED TO CHANGE THIS POLICY. Period. What else is there to add to that? 

Have an excellent weekend Smiley Happy
 
Dave

@DPenhead

 

If you want a cheap phone then pay full price for it...  That LG phone costs more than you paid walmart for it...  All prepaid devices are subsidized....  How do you think a iphone se costs 199.99 and not 349.99?

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 114 of 280
Mentor

Re: We can't unlock this device because it hasn't been active for at least six months of paid servic

Well, you are wrong, actually. Within 1 mile of that Walmart, the AT&T store that I was dealing with related to this phone in December sold that Phoenix 3 phone for $50, with NO 2 year contract...I have seen it in other AT&T stores now for $75. They were out of it the last time I went in there to update them on the drama I am going through over this phone. As for iPhones, I came across in my recent research how the iPhone X has a manufacturing cost of I think it was $324 a phone, though it sells for $1000 a phone. Screw that. I want a $50 phone that costs $25 to make... That is it. I need email, calls, and radar...maybe a camera... It is all I want on my phone. I am done spending $600 on phones that just cannot last more than 2 years. I am not paying for that scam anymore and NO ONE should. I'll tell you what, I would even pay $200 for a phone that costs $25 to make. All I want is a phone that I can use on the family plan that we have that won't cost me $600 every year or so like the other 5 people on our plan that pay for one of those every year or so when their phones screw up. I should have the right to own a $50 phone that is actually worth $50. I have purchased many new $600 phones in the past and had the insurance for them, but every time one of them broke I have received from the AT&T phone insurance company the phone that AT&T gives away for free for signing up for a 2 year contract. I refuse to pay for the insurance now because of that scam... Who would keep throwing money at that situation? How does a $600 phone turn into a $100 phone in one year? The same is true for the quality of the phones...Take the 2 year old Nexus 6P phone that my coworker gave me after giving up on it. It went into the Google Bootloop of Death during an update and is stuck. That was an $800 phone that was worthless in under 2 years... Poor guy... That is the cost of a decent car in some households... How long should we as consumers put up with cheap quality phones, predatory business practices on the part of AT&T (raising our costs on our bill/changing our plans to more expensive ones without telling us so that we have to call them out on it), and having to spend any amount of energy at all on trying to keep our phone company from forcing us to spend money on poorer and poorer quality equipment that costs more and more? It is ridiculous. Be a fantastic company that we all love to throw money at! That is what we demand. That is what we expect. You know? If we do not get that, eventually it will play itself out and we will find happiness elsewhere. This is like being in an abusive marriage...

Message 115 of 280
ACE - Expert

Re: We can't unlock this device because it hasn't been active for at least six months of paid servic


@DPenhead wrote:

Well, you are wrong, actually. Within 1 mile of that Walmart, the AT&T store that I was dealing with related to this phone in December sold that Phoenix 3 phone for $50, with NO 2 year contract...I have seen it in other AT&T stores now for $75. They were out of it the last time I went in there to update them on the drama I am going through over this phone. As for iPhones, I came across in my recent research how the iPhone X has a manufacturing cost of I think it was $324 a phone, though it sells for $1000 a phone. Screw that. I want a $50 phone that costs $25 to make... That is it. I need email, calls, and radar...maybe a camera... It is all I want on my phone. I am done spending $600 on phones that just cannot last more than 2 years. I am not paying for that scam anymore and NO ONE should. I'll tell you what, I would even pay $200 for a phone that costs $25 to make. All I want is a phone that I can use on the family plan that we have that won't cost me $600 every year or so like the other 5 people on our plan that pay for one of those every year or so when their phones screw up. I should have the right to own a $50 phone that is actually worth $50. I have purchased many new $600 phones in the past and had the insurance for them, but every time one of them broke I have received from the AT&T phone insurance company the phone that AT&T gives away for free for signing up for a 2 year contract. I refuse to pay for the insurance now because of that scam... Who would keep throwing money at that situation? How does a $600 phone turn into a $100 phone in one year? The same is true for the quality of the phones...Take the 2 year old Nexus 6P phone that my coworker gave me after giving up on it. It went into the Google Bootloop of Death during an update and is stuck. That was an $800 phone that was worthless in under 2 years... Poor guy... That is the cost of a decent car in some households... How long should we as consumers put up with cheap quality phones, predatory business practices on the part of AT&T (raising our costs on our bill/changing our plans to more expensive ones without telling us so that we have to call them out on it), and having to spend any amount of energy at all on trying to keep our phone company from forcing us to spend money on poorer and poorer quality equipment that costs more and more? It is ridiculous. Be a fantastic company that we all love to throw money at! That is what we demand. That is what we expect. You know? If we do not get that, eventually it will play itself out and we will find happiness elsewhere. This is like being in an abusive marriage...


@DPenhead

 

actually I am quite right those prepaid phone are sold at a LOSS which is subsidized with the 6 month rule...  You just fail to realize that is why prepaid phones have lock rules like they do...  Most prepaid carriers lock the phones for 12 months... 

 

@lizdance40  I will let you have a stab at this since you have the pic from the iphone se box....

 

 

 

 

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 116 of 280
Mentor

Re: We can't unlock this device because it hasn't been active for at least six months of paid servic

I don't fail to realize anything about any aspect of this situation. Don't be rude. 

I know everything that you are telling me and everything that you could logically tell me, and I still think AT&T is wrong about this particular group of policies...because it IS WRONG... You are not going to convince me of something that just isn't true, so we can move on past that and perhaps discuss other things, or you can decide to insult me a bit further as if my perspective just doesn't matter... up to you... let's not though, okay Smiley Happy I am as brilliant and intelligent as you are. I just do not believe the righteousness of what you are trying to convince me of.

Related to that, there is that old 'subsidized phones' excuse for their pricing being mentioned again... I am sick of hearing that from people... I think anyone that has been through the same sorts of things that I have been through with AT&T is sick of hearing that too. Take a look at the manufacturer cost lists for what it takes to make one of these phones, then compare that to what AT&T sells them for... If they are subsidizing anything it is to pay for their retail store locations and bonuses to the corporate partners. Subsidizing what? So ,that is just not true... They are NOT losing money when the markup on every single one of their phones is over 200%. Just with the iPhone X itself, their markup from the manufacturer costs for that phone is 308%...   308%..... The workers that make it in China make about $1.78 an hour...no, seriously... which places the employee hourly costs between $12.50 to $30 per phone. The rest of the costs of the manufacturing are for parts and shipping to the states... leaving AT&T to make a killing with their 308% markup... That whole 'but their phones are subsidized, so you really need to pay the full price so that AT&T will at least break even and not starve to death' excuse is just propaganda to fool the consumers into having a faulty understanding of the situation. I won't have any of it... Like I said, I would be willing to pay for a phone that sells for $200 and costs $25 to make. Because I found one that I like that sells at AT&T free and clear for about the same cost as I can get from Walmart as a GoPhone holds no relevance in my situation. One is 'subsidized' and one is not. Same price... However, now that AT&T has effectively irritated me with their stupid policies, I will make it my life's hobby to refuse to pay full retail price for a phone forever. Sounds fun and financially rewarding, doesn't it? Matter of fact, I will make it my life's goal to keep anyone else from ever doing it again either... 'Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.' See what these sorts of policies create in the consumer base? People like me.. and much worse... I am done setting my money on fire and throwing it away for the new shiniest gismo that they can come up with. You can come up with all of the logic in the world to justify their actions and their policies, but to me that is like trying to convince someone which coprolite in a bucket of other coprolites is the cleanest one to eat. You cannot convince me of anything contrary to what I know to be reality. It won't happen... A coprolite is a coprolite. 
 
 
Smiley Wink
Message 117 of 280
ACE - Sage

Re: We can't unlock this device because it hasn't been active for at least six months of paid servic

@GLIMMERMAN76

I also recall telling @DPenhead that ATT wouldn’t unlock a new prepaid phone until it did it’s 6 months on ATT.   https://forums.att.com/t5/Android/Unlock-code-does-not-work/m-p/5341788#M99217

 

B5C60EA7-E5E9-43CC-878F-94713AB39F59.jpeg

 

@DPenhead

You DID NOT have the discussion in December with ATT reps on the forum.  You discussed it with me, and I do not work for ATT.  Neither do any of the other people responding unless it says “employee” or ATTCares.  

Back in December You said you were unlocking the phone from ATT prepaid, to use on ATT postpaid.  Which makes zero sense as Many if us have purchased prepaid phones and used them on postpaid accounts.  Are you trying to use the phone with a different carrier?  If so what carrier?   

You do know these cheapo phones have no CDMA and only US 3g bands as well as limited LTE right?   These bargain android phones are not world phones

The phone is still under warranty.  You can contact ATT for a warranty replacement.   

 

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 118 of 280
Mentor

Re: We can't unlock this device because it hasn't been active for at least six months of paid servic

@DPenhead I love all these ace people “were not employees of att were consumers like you” they are not employees but they are obviously incentivized by ATT. “Look here, I have an email that proved their portal actually worked at unlocking one phone, not sure what yall compaing about”. ASK ONE person to try to unlock their eligable phone and see what happens, it almost never works. You can replicate their locking behavior so incredibly easily. And no one can unlock their phones, which is why you hear so many people having these rediculous issues. These ACE guys could have actually faked like they were actually experts. But the things they continue to say in this form is hilarious. So, im happy to hear others are watching this comical insanity. I am gonna make a blog posts and a few youtube videos showing the unlock process on ATT. And answers posted from this fourm ans others.

Message 119 of 280
Mentor

Re: We can't unlock this device because it hasn't been active for at least six months of paid servic

Alright, then I discussed it with you. As far as I am concerned you are representing AT&T right now. I don't know who you work for, if you do this for free, or anything else about you other than you tow their line... What I know is that you represent some aspect of AT&T here. I also spoke directly with AT&T directly about this, as well as going into 5 stores now to try to work through anything with them. I have not had any money since I had major surgery in December. So, I accidentally bought a $50 phone with the little amount of money that I had left at that time that stuck me with a $50 brick and no way out of my situation other than to try to work through it without any money. I did not set out to use to be stuck with a GoPhone and I would have bought the $50 model at the AT&T store at that time if had known it was the same price as Walmart.... I bought a Phoenix 2 a little over a year ago and did exactly the same thing that I am doing now. Same exact situation.... Nothing has changed. Everything you claim is exactly what I knew I was getting into. The timeframe for it being locked, why it was locked, etc. I don't care about any of that and it actually does not matter at all. People believe it does, but it doesn't. The difference I am encountering is that it worked a year ago like I am telling you that it works and it doesn't work now on this particular phone. An AT&T supervisor told me over the phone that this would work exactly like I am telling you that this works... And, it does, to a point. What it does not do is see a brand new micro-SIM. Would you know why it does not? That would be a productive solution to helping me resolve this issue. Telling me over and over again how it says on the box that I cannot do this is pointless because the box is lying and that rhetoric is not true. Is it just this phone? Or, is it something that they have changed with the operating systems installed on the phones now? These are helpful solutions... Do you have answers to my specific questions? 

 

 

Message 120 of 280
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support