Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Unlock Phone - Things To Know From AT&T

Community Support

Unlock Phone - Things To Know From AT&T

 

DeviceUnlock_.png

Unlocking Your Device - Requests & Facts

 

Your device is designed to work on the AT&T wireless network, and may require a device unlock to operate on another compatible wireless network. AT&T can send you unlock instructions upon request, provided that we can reasonably obtain them from the manufacturer and that you meet the requirements below. You should receive a response within two business days.You will find information on how to unlock your device and answers to most questions below.

 

Notice: AT&T cannot unlock devices from other wireless carriers. 

 

How To Request A Device Unlock 

  1. Go to our Device Unlock portal.
  2. Select Yes if you are an AT&T Customer, No if you are not an AT&T customer
  3. Enter your telephone # if you are an AT&T Customer. Enter your IMEI if you are a non-AT&T Customer.
  4. Follow the prompts. 

If you have an issue with the site, delete cache, cookies, and restart your browser. In some instances you may need to use another browser. 

 

Business customers can request an unlock code for a business device Here.

 

To check status of your request

  1. Go to our Status Portal.
  2.  Enter your IMEI Number & Request Number.
  3. Follow the prompts.

General Requirements for All Unlock Requests

  • The device must be designed for use on, and locked to, the AT&T wireless network. (For help see Device Unlock Support)
  • It must not be reported lost or stolen.
  • It’s not associated with fraudulent activity.
  • All the device’s service commitments and installment plans are completed, and all early termination fees are paid in full.
  • The device is not currently active on a different AT&T customer’s account.
  • If you performed an early upgrade, you must wait the 14-day buyer’s remorse period before you can request to unlock your previous device.

eBay & Non-AT&T Purchases

If a phone is purchased from a non-AT&T authorized dealer or sites like eBay, AT&T may be unable to unlock the device. Before purchasing the device, make sure the seller performs the unlock request. In some instances, you will have to contact the seller to perform the request. If the device was purchased by another provider, they should have online resources to unlock the device.

 

Postpaid Customers

  • Your account must be active for at least 60 days, with no past due or unpaid balance.

Prepaid / GoPhone®

  • The device must be active for at least six months of paid service.

Non-AT&T Mobility Customers

  • You’ve never had an AT&T wireless account and you meet the General Requirements for unlock requests.

Deployed Military Personnel (Current AT&T Customers Only)

  • Current AT&T customers who are active and deployed military personnel, and have provided deployment verification, need to meet all the General Requirements, except those related to the device's service commitments, installment plans and early termination fees.
  • AT&T, at its sole discretion, may limit the number of devices military personnel can unlock.

Important:

AT&T reserves the right to deny any unlock request that it concludes would result in an abuse of this policy or is part of an effort to defraud AT&T or its customers. AT&T further reserves the right to alter this unlocking policy at its discretion without advance notice.

 

ChrisZ, AT&T Community Specialist

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button.
For additional support, please visit us at our AT&T services hub.
Follow us on: Twitter @ATTCares and @DIRECTVService

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
55,748 Views
Message 4 of 280
Administrator

Re: Re: s4 phone is not prompting me for unlock code

Hello @jeanamyers,


Thank you for bringing this to our attention! We understand how important it is for our customers needs to be taken care of. I definitely want to get to the bottom of this!


You mentioned attempting the steps and receiving an unlock code! I will be asking a few questions to gather additional information to better assist you. When you attempted to put in the code, do you receive an error? Are you directed to a page which asks to provide the unlock code? When it comes to unlocking a device, we recommend using an active non-AT&T SIM Card to ensure the device is removed from AT&T Network. 


I am looking forward to getting this resolved!


Vanessa, AT&T Community Specialist




Need help?
Ask a question to get help from the AT&T Community or support from AT&T specialists. If this reply helped you please use Accept solution to mark it as an Accepted Solution.
*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 46 of 280
Mentor

Re: Re: s4 phone is not prompting me for unlock code

I dialed 2945#*150# and it opened up the option to type in an unlock code for the phone without having to use another company's sim. It then gave me ten chances to enter in the correct unlock code. Since I actually have a real unlock code that I received from ATT for this new GoPhone, I put that code in and it worked the very first time. Now, my GoPhone is 'successfully unlocked'. Makes your heads explode, doesn't it? Tomorrow I am going to go see if a new ATT sim can be read on the phone.

Message 47 of 280
Mentor

Unlock ATT phone Purchased From Ebay

I bought an old iphone it’s asking me to wait 14 days to unlock since it previously activated under a different customer. No one has used this phone for much longer than 14 days since they upgrade and sold this. Does this mean 14 days after the first unlock attempt. I need this for international travel and stuff like that. The phone meets Full eligibility requirements. After opening a case with support they sent me the same error. their website unlock worflow returns. ATTs device unlock process seems to have incorrect data in its system

backend. This seems to be a failure with customer service support’s incompetency to reconcile the incorrect data regarding the phones imei.

 

Tags (1)
Message 48 of 280
Administrator

Re: Unlock ATT phone Purchased From Ebay

Hello @JoeJohn,


Thank you for bringing this to our attention via the Community Forums. Having your device unlocked comes with many benefits. I apologize to hear you're experiencing trouble with getting this done. It's my pleasure to help!


We definitely want to review this request further. Please send me a private message to @ATTCares including any additional details you have regarding the device you would like unlocked. Thanks so much.


I look forward to speaking with you, and hope your day is wonderful!


Jess, AT&T Community Specialist


Need help?
Ask a question to get help from the AT&T Community or support from AT&T specialists. If this reply helped you please use Accept solution to mark it as an Accepted Solution.
*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 49 of 280
Mentor

Re: Unlock ATT phone Purchased From Ebay

So basically what at&t did is give me the run around again. Instead of forcing the unlock or fixing their unlocking service so it works, since it meets all requirements stated. They just asked me for all my personal information and said to go ask the seller. They know i am

the buyer, i own the phone that was rightfully sold to me. So have me contact an ebay reseller? ATT will just ask the reseller to ask the person who traded it into them

to call att. Then ATT will have some excuse for them. Moral of the story i guess is don’t buy your devices from att if you need to upgrade or resell your device every so often to get the latest phone.

Message 50 of 280
ACE - Expert

Re: Unlock ATT phone Purchased From Ebay


@JoeJohn wrote:

So basically what at&t did is give me the run around again. Instead of forcing the unlock or fixing their unlocking service so it works, since it meets all requirements stated. They just asked me for all my personal information and said to go ask the seller. They know i am

the buyer, i own the phone that was rightfully sold to me. So have me contact an ebay reseller? ATT will just ask the reseller to ask the person who traded it into them

to call att. Then ATT will have some excuse for them. Moral of the story i guess is don’t buy your devices from att if you need to upgrade or resell your device every so often to get the latest phone.


@JoeJohn

 

actually that is on the reseller....  I had a iphone unlocked in 6 minutes 2 weeks ago...

 

unlock4.PNGunlock3.PNG

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 51 of 280
Mentor

Re: Unlock ATT phone Purchased From Ebay

Unlocks are automated. There is no way for the reseller to prove they are the reseller of the phone. att is the only has a record of the account the phone was sold to and what accoubts it has been used on. So no its not on the reseller, how would att even know it was the reseller calling. Yes I understand theoretically att unlocking system is supposed to work how they say it is. And theoretically its a service their customers are happy with and theoretically customers can buy phones from att while having some flexibility to sell their old phones and upgrade their devices. Sadly this isnt the case in this specific scenario.

Message 52 of 280
Scholar

Re: Unlock ATT phone Purchased From Ebay

@JoeJohn,

 

att should not be blamed for this. its YOUR responsibility because you bought the phone from an ebay user. you should know everything about the gadgets that you are purchasing online.

 

the only way to resolve this is for you to contact the seller, ask him/her to unlock it. if not, return the phone.

Message 53 of 280
ACE - Expert

Re: Unlock ATT phone Purchased From Ebay


@JoeJohn wrote:

Unlocks are automated. There is no way for the reseller to prove they are the reseller of the phone. att is the only has a record of the account the phone was sold to and what accoubts it has been used on. So no its not on the reseller, how would att even know it was the reseller calling. Yes I understand theoretically att unlocking system is supposed to work how they say it is. And theoretically its a service their customers are happy with and theoretically customers can buy phones from att while having some flexibility to sell their old phones and upgrade their devices. Sadly this isnt the case in this specific scenario.


That is the problem with installment agreements these days...  I do resell phones BUT I get them UNLOCKED before sale...  Hence the reason I BLAME THE RESELLER....  

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 54 of 280
Mentor

Re: Unlock ATT phone Purchased From Ebay

ATT locks the phone so they are responsible for setting the unlock process then honoring that process. They should be motivated to honor this so they dont violate basic consumer protections. You can blame anyone you want, you can believe the sky is purple. At the end of the day, only att can unlock the device. This is the objective reality. If its in possession of the rightful owner, and that phone has been paid for or upgraded. They need to unlock the device. 

Message 55 of 280
ACE - Expert

Re: Unlock ATT phone Purchased From Ebay


@JoeJohn wrote:

ATT locks the phone so they are responsible for setting the unlock process then honoring that process. They should be motivated to honor this so they dont violate basic consumer protections. You can blame anyone you want, you can believe the sky is purple. At the end of the day, only att can unlock the device. This is the objective reality. If its in possession of the rightful owner, and that phone has been paid for or upgraded. They need to unlock the device. 


actually there are other places to get unlocks but they cost....  Thats the problem with used phones the original owner is the only one ATT cares about sad but true.  

 

Actually ATT is not violating anything if you read the CTIA agreement....  Do I like the unlock portal no but its better than tmobiles method.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 56 of 280
Scholar

Re: Unlock ATT phone Purchased From Ebay

you are not the original owner of that phone. The agreement is between att and the customer who originally owns the phone. what if the original owner didnt pay the phone? what if one of the phone is included in fraudulent activities? what if there's an outstanding balance on that? ATT is doing business, sad to say but business is business.

Message 57 of 280
Mentor

Re: Unlock ATT phone Purchased From Ebay

Well business is business and its certainly not good for business if your limiting the resale and value of the devices you sell. Customers are less likely to upgrade if they cannot recoup a decent market value of the phone. Newer phones = happier customers. Att is also making it more expensive for customers to lease their phone, since unlocked phones have a higher resale value the trade-ins arent worth as much. There is no motivation on ATTs part to not unlock phones that have a clean IMEI. ATT wireless is just a company people will put up with untill one of the big tech giants with enough cash on hand makes a strong enough product launch to put a sudden giant dent in their market share. Locking phones short term could provide them with a benifet i guess, long term it just hurts their brand image and customer satisfaction scores. Two things which are incredibly hard to recoupe once they’ve been lost. At that point its easier to just rebrand the entire company.

Message 58 of 280
ACE - Expert

Re: Unlock ATT phone Purchased From Ebay


@JoeJohn wrote:

Well business is business and its certainly not good for business if your limiting the resale and value of the devices you sell. Customers are less likely to upgrade if they cannot recoup a decent market value of the phone. Newer phones = happier customers. Att is also making it more expensive for customers to lease their phone, since unlocked phones have a higher resale value the trade-ins arent worth as much. There is no motivation on ATTs part to not unlock phones that have a clean IMEI. ATT wireless is just a company people will put up with untill one of the big tech giants with enough cash on hand makes a strong enough product launch to put a sudden giant dent in their market share. Locking phones short term could provide them with a benifet i guess, long term it just hurts their brand image and customer satisfaction scores. Two things which are incredibly hard to recoupe once they’ve been lost. At that point its easier to just rebrand the entire company.


Att does not lease phones.....  Sprint does..... ATT Next is a 0% LOAN...

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 59 of 280
Mentor

Re: Unlock ATT phone Purchased From Ebay

I mean what could lower the satisfaction of consumers more than limiting the use of a device they rightfully paid for and own. Long term the marketing and PR strategy they have to use to keep customers from leaving or boost their image to gain new customers is way more costly than any short term benifet gained from refusing to unlock phones. Just the cost of paying marketing people to review and post on this single thread is way more than any benefit gained of refusing to unlock my phone.

Message 60 of 280
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support