Troubleshoot your device issues
T3chSavyTryhard's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Monday, September 30th, 2019 4:52 AM

Transferring Sims disrupts wifi calling.

I recently got into the world of repairing broken cell phones and then flipping them for profit. I currently have, for my personal device, a Galaxy S10 plus. 

I needed to test the functionality of an iPhone 5S and put my SIM card into that phone. Everything worked fine, and I moved my SIM card back into my S10 plus. Everything was also working fine back on my personal phone, until I noticed that Wi-Fi calling would not activate.

I went to my AT&t account and noticed that the register device for my line had changed to an iPhone 5S. It was almost like it didn't update that I had moved the Sim back to the original phone. I then proceeded to call tech support where they had to push an over the air update to my phone to reprovision sim to allow for wifi calling. 

Is this something that I am going to have to do every time I pop my sim into another phone? My past experiences of this have been without issue. Whenever I purchase a new phone I've always just reused my old sim to forego the activation process.

Thanks,

Zack 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

3.2K Messages

5 years ago

The system is supposed to update the IMEI on the account automatically once it detects the SIM has been switched to another phone. It doesn't always which is what you've experienced with the switch to the iPhone 5S. In the future, yes, you may have to update it. You can do it yourself by going to att.com/activations.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

5 years ago

@T3chSavyTryhard 

Its just old phones that can cause this problem as the 5s did not support wifi calling so it removed it from your line when I seen the 5s.  In the future I would just keep a prepaid sim around for testing it makes life so much easier and you can do cheap service on project fi now.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

Much appreciated for your reply sir! The tech also mentioned that I could "damage" the SIM by moving it to a non-provisioned phone. Is this true? 

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

5 years ago

@T3chSavyTryhard wrote:

Much appreciated for your reply sir! The tech also mentioned that I could "damage" the SIM by moving it to a non-provisioned phone. Is this true? 

no I move sims around all the time and have yet to damage one.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.