For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
libbystclair's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Friday, July 10th, 2009 4:04 AM

Closed

Trading upgrades within a FamilyTalk plan?

I had a general question about the nature of upgrading. The thing is that my mother is elligible for her upgrade now, and I am elligible for my upgrade October 13th, 2009. She knows I am more interested in getting a new phone (and renewing my 2-year-contract) as soon as I can, so she and I were both wondering if that sort of thing was allowed. We (as well as my dad) are all on the same FamilyTalk plan, and I wanted to know if AT&T will let me use my mom's upgrade now, with my phone and number, renewing my own contract, and let her use my upgrade in October, with her phone and number, renewing her own contract.

Since we're both on the same family plan, and we both intend to upgrade, I don't see why it should be a problem, but neither of us knew whether this sort of thing was allowed or even possible. I don't want to get into any trouble with the AT&T people, after all. So any information you can offer on the subject will help! If you have successfully done this and could tell me about it, that would be even more helpful. (: Thank youuuu!

Accepted Solution

Guru

• 

637 Messages

15 years ago

Yes, it's fine to change equipment, and trade upgrades. Upgrades are performed on the lines that are eligible. Look at it this way.

Mom's line is eligible. You process an upgrade on her line, get a new phone, she gets a new contract. You contact Customer Care to perform an equipment swap to keep everything nice and neat. Then your line becomes eligible, and she uses your upgrade, like you used hers. Call Customer Care again to make sure that the correct phones are on the correct lines.

I can't stress enough, please let Customer Care know what's going on. You will save time for all involved if you don't play musical phones on the sly. You'd be surprised how many people have BlackBerry phones on iPhone data plans.

Remember that your service follows your SIM card. Also, if you plan on getting an iPhone, please let the agent handling the upgrade know this in advance! The iPhones have to be registered in iTunes with the SIM card they will be active on. Any mistakes will require the SIM card to be replaced.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

15 years ago

Thank you so much! I had a friend who suggested just pretending my mom was using her upgrade and switching SIM cards without telling AT&T, but I knew somewhere down the line that things were going to get complicated if AT&T didn't know which number was on which phone and which line had what plan or whatever. So, if I just call Customer Care and let them know we're switching devices, everything should be peachy? No worries with the iPhone, neither of us are interested in that. So thank you again! (:

Guru

• 

637 Messages

15 years ago

Correct. Put most simply, an upgrade results in a new contract, and a discounted phone (or data connect card, or whatever). Nothing physical is really tied to your line of service but the most recent active SIM card.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.